~ My cat is PEEING on my hard wood floor!! ~

acoya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey Everyone ~

I have a ongoing problem with my cat that I desperately need HELP with!! He is a 9 year old, neutered, in door, male cat that has been peeing in the corner on my hard wood floor by my door for a while now. I feel like I have done literally EVERYTHING to try & get him to stop peeing there & I am getting very frustrated.
As soon as a notice that he has peed there I immediately clean up the pee, wash the area down VERY well (including the walls & corners) & let it dry. I have done alot of research on the Internet & have cleaned the area with different Cleaners, Vinegar water, Lemon Juice, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, sprinkled Cayenne Pepper in the area, Used Perfume & the list can go on .... only to come to this site & read that most of the things I have tryed to used only encourage the cat to pee in that area.

I am now at the point where if I'm not home to supervise him, he gets locked out on my patio for the day with his food, water, litter box & bed. During the night I barricade the area off with my kitchen chairs creating a fence so he cant get to that area (Pathetic I know!). But just last night he went to all this trouble to knock down this one part, get through & pee in the exact same spot!! I even have plastic bags on the floor to protect the area with a big heavy carpet on top!
I no longer know what to do ..... Any real, helpful advised that actually works, I would love to know!

jimmylegs

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
1. take your cat to the vet, he may have bladder crystals which will kill him if they aren't treated right away

2. get Nature's Miracle cleanser from a pet store and treat the are with this. Even if you clean the floor well, there will still be traces of urine in the wood, and only an enzyme-based cleaner like this will help. you will probably have to treat it a number of times to get it out completely, but keep at it and eventually it will be neutralized

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

acoya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That is my next step ... taking him to the vet to see if there is a problem & if they can recommend anything to help him stop peeing on the floor. I will also be looking around for a enzyme-based cleaner to use on my floor.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing to assess is the litterbox situation. Where is his litterbox located? How many litterboxes in the house? What kind of litter? How big is/are the litterbox(es)? How often do you scoop? How often do you totally clean the box, and what do you use to clean it?

If the litterbox situation isn't taken care of first, it would be impossible to stop him from using a more agreeable location. And sometimes the kitties don't have the same opinions as we do!

melissambi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thats the same problem I'm having! i have 2 males cats both fixed....the one cat never peed outside of the litter box till we moved...I was letting him outside till I saw he was getting kicked by are neighbour so i stoped letting him out, since then he has decided to pee in are at the time unborn sons room and agaist a door which i call the cold storage, which is just a room for storage lol. anway we riped up all the carpet in the one bedroom and around the door and from under the litter box and we replaced the carpet with click flooring and then shut the door and keep it closed, he will pee up agaist that door sometimes but frequently againt the cold storage door the problem is when he pees againt the door it is going down threw and under the hardwood floor and when i open the pantry door which by the way is down stairs and in the kitchen WOW the smell of cat urine is rediculace, i came home from work and my nose was burning it was so bad, when i walk into my room It's horrable and my daughters room i dont like anyone doing upstairs or in are house because people are telling others dont go there there house stinks!!!! I need help before i throw this cat outside or taking him to the SPCA....this house is rented not owed and he is distroying it and making us sick at the same time!!! I have caught him twice and it looks like he is spraying he puts his butt up to the door shakes his tail and pees, but he's fixed I dont get it....anyone got anythign to help to get rid of this smell!!!!!!! pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee I have tryed several things to try and get rid of the smell but it's not working nothing issssssss. as for my other cat he does not do this at all. is it a behaviour thing like i want outside and im going to pee to make you mad? that waswhen it started when i wouldnt let him out but he'sstill doing it 2 years later....I HAVE HAD MORE THEN ENUF OF THIS!!!! people cant come over it's very embarasssing when they do.....

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First go kick the neighbor (only half kidding there). Seriously though, a neighbor kicked your cat? I think I would have lost it on that person. What is wrong with people?

Ok, the poor kitty. I happened to have had the same problem. My outdoor kitty all of the sudden had to stay inside. And he was spraying everywhere. That said; my house did not smell. So, I'm wondering if you are missing a spot or two. Look around with one of those little black lights they sell in the pet store. The house has to be dark. You may just find that there are places your guy has gone that you didn't know about. Next, make sure you are cleaning up the urine with a product made for just that. Again, any pet store sells multiple kinds of pet urine cleaners. Get one and follow the instructions to a T.

The other thing is to make sure your guy knows just where that litter box is (there should be at least two of them since you have two cats) and make sure the boxes are cleaned every day. Cats hate dirty litter boxes.

If you can, get some "feliway". It cost, I know, but may just do the trick in calming him down a bit. It take a while for a cat to adjust to a new situation. Help him along by giving him extra attention and making him feel comfortable. Once he gets used to being inside he'll be fine. Whatever you do, don't toss him out in harms way. If you must, you could go outside with him to keep him safe. Would short trips out make him happy? Just a thought.

I hope your neighbor moves.

And I sure wouldn't worry about what anyone was saying about my house. If you think my house stinks, don't come in it.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Acoya,
Opps! I'm sorry. Didn't mean to hijack your thread by responding to someone else. It's early. Forgive me.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is a basic solution right after enzyme cleaner & cat attract litter BUT have you tried putting a litter box in that corner?

Also have you taken him to the vet?

:hangin:
Cat pee problems take time to solve.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first thing I would do with any pee issue is take the cat to the vet to rule out medical issues. The 2nd thing to do is get an enzymatic cleaner to clean up the pee. The third thing I would do is add extra litter boxes near the area the accidents are occurring after ruling out a medical issue.

gravelgertie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the advice to take the cat to the vet. One of my cats started peeing on my sofa!!!!! I thought he was just being a jerk, maybe jealous of other cat, etc. Using human psychology on an animal. This went on for a while. I tried a waterproof cover (not waterproof, leaked through), had the sofa cleaned several times. One day I heard him making an odd sound. At first I thought he was growling at the other cat. It went on and on. Finally I went to find him, and he was moaning in pain. He had blocked up and couldn't urinate due to cystitis. Had to rush him to the emergency vet. $1600.00 later, I realized he'd been suffering all that time. Cystitis causes crystals to form and irritate them when they pee. They relate the pain to the litter box and find other places to pee. I've had him on a Urinary Tract Diet ever since. I also give him Cosequin twice a day to help with irritation. It has worked, and I finally invested in a new sofa.