My cat is overweight

kef33890

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is starting to look chubby! I feed her a handful of dry food in the morning and a small handful in the evening. What should I do to help her lose weight? I'm obviously feeding her too much, but she is good at making me feel sorry for her and end up blowing her diet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. How old is she? Cats can get a bit sedentary as they age which can lead to some weight gain. But before you do anything you need to know what she weighs; how many calories are in what she eats daily, and check her against a body condition chart (I've included one below). More precise measuring of her food will help you to know her true caloric intake, so take your 'handfuls' and place them in a measuring cup just to see how much she eats.

Gradually moving from dry food to canned food can be helpful too as many canned foods don't contain the level of carbohydrates that dry foods do. Canned food typically fills cats up better than dry foods. They are also beneficial in keeping a cat hydrated.

I'll go more into how to manage a diet for a cat once you know the answers to my questions above.

Body-Condition-Feline-Chart.jpg

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to consider switching her to wet food. Generally it is higher protein and lower carb than dry food so she will get better quality lower calorie food And feel more satisfied with it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Food through movement is best! A food ball, DIY cat puzzle or something to keep her moving and slow her eating down.

A kibble toss down the hallway also works.

As mentioned above if you can switch part of her food even to wet that could help! One can of wet food per day with some extra water added can be great for a cat's energy level.

Are you getting in two 15 min play sessions with her?

Attachments

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Feed her by calories not hands full, or cans full, or anythings full. I follow the 20 calories per pound per day rule and my cat has maintained the same weight for 7 years now.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Boone is fat. 21 lbs I think at his last check up. I cut back on the amount of dry food. Barely enough to cover the bottom of the bowl when they have wet food available. Tad bit more when no wet food is available. I also switched to a higher protein dry food which is supposed to mean it has less carbs too. Been trying to get him to exercise more but it usually ends up with him sprawled on his back with me smacking his belly with the fishing toy thingy so he will at least bat at it. Not sure if any of this is helping but at least I'm trying. Can't say the same for Boone though. :lol: