my cat is mounting my kitten plz help

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we just introduced my spayed kitten (female, 1 yr old tofu) to my male neutered adult cat ( male, gary 2ish years old) and before i start gary has had history of humping pillows which we have discouraged that behavior anyways, the first couple days his playing w her was a little suspicious but seemed like it was just pouncing but after a couple of days i started noticing that he would sniff her butt a lot (which i get is like saying hi but how long is to much?) and stay on her while biting her neck and legs spralled while on her in what looks like a mounting position. before this behavior they would play tag, chase eachother, they’d chirp at each other and just get to know each other and now his behavior is just weird w her. i read that it might be a cat hierarchy thing or that he’s stressed cuz of the environment change which i understand but i don’t want her to become scared of him. another problem is that she doesn’t stand up for herself when he is doing it. she’ll lightly swat at him but that doesn’t discourage him from stopping it usually and if it does he tries it again a little after:/ he really is a sweetheart i just don’t know what this behavior is. please help!

we just introduced my spayed kitten (female, 1 yr old tofu) to my male neutered adult cat ( male, gary 2ish years old) and before i start gary has had history of humping pillows which we have discouraged that behavior anyways, the first couple days his playing w her was a little suspicious but seemed like it was just pouncing but after a couple of days i started noticing that he would sniff her butt a lot (which i get is like saying hi but how long is to much?) and stay on her while biting her neck and legs spralled while on her in what looks like a mounting position. before this behavior they would play tag, chase eachother, they’d chirp at each other and just get to know each other and now his behavior is just weird w her. i read that it might be a cat hierarchy thing or that he’s stressed cuz of the environment change which i understand but i don’t want her to become scared of him. another problem is that she doesn’t stand up for herself when he is doing it. she’ll lightly swat at him but that doesn’t discourage him from stopping it usually and if it does he tries it again a little after:/ he really is a sweetheart i just don’t know what this behavior is. please help!
and when he is on top of her in what looks like a mounting position he’ll stay on top of her for a while and they both just stay in that position for like 30 seconds which i did not see him act with my old roommates kitten. my old roommates kitten would hiss at gary or swat him hard when he did something she didn’t like and he listened to that and stopped that behavior. with tofu she does not do that and it feels like he’s not learning from her that that behavior is not ok

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Don't victim blame that kitten :dizzycat: But really, that isn't good behavior as I am sure you know. Gary needs to see his veterinarian and most likely get a prescription to help him cope with his anxiety. He probably won't have to be on it forever, just until he forms some new habits that are more acceptable. His behavior can also be a sign of a urinary tract problem, so, once again, a veterinarian is needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caity_bean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don't victim blame that kitten :dizzycat: But really, that isn't good behavior as I am sure you know. Gary needs to see his veterinarian and most likely get a prescription to help him cope with his anxiety. He probably won't have to be on it forever, just until he forms some new habits that are more acceptable. His behavior can also be a sign of a urinary tract problem, so, once again, a veterinarian is needed.
oh of course not i’m not really blaming any cat in this situation because both are anxious babies but if i do seem him start to mount do i scold him about it? i’ve been clapping when he does this but i also don’t want to discourage them from playing

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You can’t really scold a cat. You risk damaging your relationship with him and making him fearful, and he will just do it when you are not around. Try to redirect with a high value toy. You can try clicker training. It’s important he gets an exam ASAP and this behavior is taken care of ASAP, be it medical or behavioral in nature.