My cat is missing, what should i do now?

danipoz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 4 year old male cat went missing 11 days ago, i was totally heartbroken. I tried the usual things to try and find him, calling him every night and day, asking neighbours if theyve seen him, posting on social media, looking for him in the area. He was a indoor-outdoor cat for his whole life so he knows the entire neighbourhood. I live in a fairly rural area with no predators other than maybe stray dogs and there is minimal chance of a car hitting him but i still looked for evidence for that but i couldnt find anything, btw he never ever went away even for a day, maximum he was gone is 12 hours. He is neutered so there is no reason for him to look for cats in heat. The worst part is not knowing, is he dead? Did someone take him? As the days go by i realised he maybe doesnt come back at all, and for some reason at day 10 of him missing i somehow decided im getting a new kitten to help me with sadness. The next day ( today) i picked up a new kitten, a tabby. He is so lovely, first he was afraid a little bit but now sleeps on my shoulder, kneads, purrs constantly when im there but there is one BIG problem. I tought a new kitten would help me but it just made things worse, im now thinking even more of my missing cat and the sadness just keeps comming... I think i regret adopting a new one so fast, now every time i hold the new kitten all the memories with my missing cat come back and i get very sad. I wont return the kitten to not stress the woman i got it from and mainly the kitten, i will care for it but i just get sad. Please tell me it gets better and what should i do?

kittygirl123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so so sorry. :( Unfortunately that is a risk you run with indoor/outdoor kitties. As soon as I rescue one I do a lot of indoor enrichment, cat trees, shelves, lots of toys etc so they lose their interest in the outdoors because I have had a few hit by cars and one poisoned. Your kitty may be just wandering though so try to be proactive and do all you can while it's just a couple weeks.

The reality is your kitty is not gone so long and may return. There are services that call your neighbors and help get entire neighborhoods on alert but you pay for them. You can also post signs and make sure to call your SPCA and local vets to see if anyone called around. If he is friendly there is a chance someone thought he was abandoned or lost and brought him in and called the SPCA to see if reported so make sure to leave your name and # EVERYWHERE possible, local rescues etc. etc.

Then keep up with the calling, food outside and maybe a sweater with your scent.
Being neutered does not mean he won't have interest in other cats/friends out there. There are 2 male cats that stroll my neighborhood and one was lost for weeks, turns out he met a friend and started hanging with him. It's cute but worrisome nonetheless.

Give the kitten lots of love and just keep calling around you may be surprised! He could be closer than you realize. Sending positive vibes!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And don't give up. We've seen cats come home in pretty good condition after MONTHS of being on their own. Now, call local vets and shelters, certainly, but do it weekly! It's so easy for a cat who has been picked up to fall between the cracks, so to speak, as there are so many of them! Don't depend on the vet/shelter to be able to remember your cat after one call!

And when you are out looking, the best times are at dawn and at dusk, when cats are the most active. Look in small, enclosed areas, and take a flashlight! I can't tell you how many cats have been located by their eye shine! Also, IF you spot him, sit down and call to him. After being out for that long, his survival instincts will be on high alert, and he may spook and run, even though he knows and loves you.