My cat is high after her spay, and they sent her home with oral Metacam.

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Jackie in for her spay yesterday...picked her up at the end of the day. This is the first time I have ever taken a cat home the same day as a spay and rather than being groggy she is high as a kite. She had her e-collar off even before we left the vets office, while still in her travel kennel, despite them having tied it up further with gauze. Tried to put it on again at home, got it on, and she had it off within seconds even with only a finger gap (and almost fell down some stairs in the process). I am keeping it off and just watching her...she had laser surgery, internal dissolvable sutures and glue and has left the incision site alone so far. I have never had a collar on a cat after a spay and she seems far more stressed and active with it on than off and I cannot sit there 24 hours a day putting it on everytime she wrestles out!

Her pupils are huge and she is alert to every little noise. Kind of acting like she is seeing things or at least seeing things very intensely. She had started going into another heat cycle too right before her surgery (poor thing, I was trying to avoid another one for her as I feel so bad for her) so she is aggressively headbutting and rubbing herself against us and last night and this morning my head and ponytail were fascinating to her....I thought she was going to do that in-heat roll thing on my head! Purring like mad if you so much as look at her. It is like she took a combo of magic mushrooms and ecstasy. She is always affectionate, but now she is like super-intense affectionate!

I don't know what to think! How do you keep a high cat calm? We turned off all the lights, kept noise down, and she was still behaving like a nutter! She won't sit still and is walking all over the place. It is no use to keep her in one room. She will fight the door to get out!

Not really eating which is hardly a surprise though had a few bites and nibbles. I just keep putting out some fresh wet food and every few hours as usual and toss the untouched stuff. She used the litterbox as soon as we got home. Hopefully she comes back to eating today.

Anyway, they gave me meds to take home and until I got home I did not see it was oral Metacam (3 doses, 1x a day). I am in Canada so the vets here seem to still like Metacam. I will call vet office when they open, but I assume they gave her an injection of it too. This is the first time I have ever been given pain meds after a spay for home use and I was not expecting it. I am very leery of the Metacam. Jackie is almost 3, but new to us, and I do not know her history. She came to us with ear mites (still trying to deal with those) and some conjunctivitis, possibly feline herpes, but is otherwise healthy, happy, a great weight but she is quite small (even smaller without her bits anymore...she has had multiple litters and had a tiny belly from it) and I do not want to stress her kidneys.

I do not want her to be in pain, and feel up to eating and drinking, but then again I also do not want her to be numb to all pain as we are having a hard time keeping her still! Do I ask for other meds? Or just see how she does today and tomorrow as her surgery meds wear off? Like I said, I have never given pain meds after a spay before, but usually before I went to low cost clinics. This time I went to her vet and had the laser surgery, IVs, etc. Much pricier but I am a much more worried pet parent as I got older myself and have needed my own surgeries!

Last edited:

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi

Wow super cat!  It's not uncommon for cats to act strangely after anesthesia wears off - the experience can be very disorienting and I would expect this is the cause and should subside - in my experience - withing 12 or so hours.  Metacam shouldn't produce this side effect.  However, the use of Metacam in cats is very very tricky, and can lead to life threatening conditions so you may want to discuss this with your vet.

In the article below its referred to as Meloxicam, the same thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meloxicam

Stephen

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, interesting reaction....I don't know what to advise about how to keep a cat calm. You might try Bach's Rescue Remedy, though that might make her tipsy (it contains alcohol). Feliway plug ins?
I guess (don't know, guessing) that although she had the reproductive organs taken out, she may still have the hormones cyclying through her body. I think you just have to let the hormones run their course. I would call the vet about that if nothing else.
I doubt this is the case but: the time Ritz acted the most aggressive, running, was when she was in pain. All other times, she simply didn't want to eat. I think effects of the anesthesia depress appetite, and perhaps can cause constipation in some cats.
Regarding Metacam: I personally did not give it to Ritz when she had her spay. I knew (naively or otherwise--Ritz is my first cat) that pain associated with a spay would be relatively short lived. Plus I knew they gave her an injection of pain killer (presumably Metacam) during the procedure. And I figured if she were in a little bit of pain, she wouldn't move as much. I didn't use a cone, but Ritz isn't the type of cat who chews things (including electrical cords).
Good luck and let us know how Jackie is doing. PS: we like pictures :)

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've usually heard of Metacam in connection with acute kidney failure, not hyperactivity. I'm glad you're aware of the Metacam issue, though. You didn't say how much each dosage is supposed to be, but 3x sounds like a lot.

Personally I wouldn't chance Metacam for just a spay. See if you can get Buprenex instead. That's what my kitty got after her surgery for bladder stones.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't think the high is from the Metacam shot (or whatever shot they gave her....they gave her one as it is on my bill), more like from the general anaesthesia or IV meds. The shot (metacam?) just has her not feeling the pain so she can act out on her high. I really don't think she is in pain at this point, but the shot will probably be wearing off by early afternoon today (24 hours later).

Ritz: She will definitely have the hormones cycling....she is an inside cat only so no access to other cats but I know she would still attract males for a week or so as she had already gone back into heat at the time of her spay. I am not worried about that at this point....that is normal...if she is in heat again at another point that could mean ovarian tissue remains but for now I am not worried and don't feel need to call vet about it. She is not aggressive like biting, just aggressive affectionate. Like when in heat but amped up. But if she does start acting bitey (which is soooo not her as she is very affectionate and easygoing; she loves her people!) I will call vet for sure.

I will not give the Metacam. Consensus here seems to be avoid it! For good reason. My inclination is to trash it, I am actually a little ticked that they never even went over the risks or concerns with Metacam with me, but I am someone who researches everything fortunately before I use it, and if she needs meds to call vet for different ones. I am also a little ticked they did not give her another dose of of Milbemite as I asked....first dose did not get them all...so I have to go back with her in at end of month to recheck and add another stressful vet trip. 3 in as many weeks!

My husband is home with her until mid-morning and then I will go check on her a couple hours later at lunchtime but hopefully she is okay (and getting some rest!).

Thanks all!

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband sent me a few texts to let me know that she looks better...still a little overeager, but her pupils are not hugely dilated anymore. She also was looking at her food bowl and him expectantly (there was wet food in it this morning, but she was not at all into it, though I also do not think it is her preferred brand). He resorted to the Orijen kibble in the fridge (I try to feed her all wet/raw and have been partially successful so far , but the kibbles still work as toppers or treats now and then) and gave her some and she ate it right up and looked for more. He gave her a little under a 1/2 days portion and apparently she chowed down a good portion of it and then went to town on her water fountain. I'll see how she is at lunchtime, but I am glad she is at least eating something (even if it is kibble) and drinking water!

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I've usually heard of Metacam in connection with acute kidney failure, not hyperactivity. I'm glad you're aware of the Metacam issue, though. You didn't say how much each dosage is supposed to be, but 3x sounds like a lot.

Personally I wouldn't chance Metacam for just a spay. See if you can get Buprenex instead. That's what my kitty got after her surgery for bladder stones.
I checked the dosage when I went to check on her at lunch. It's 1.5mg per ml, with 3 doses of .3 ml oral paste solution Each to be given every 24 hours, starting at 12 today. I did not give it to her....she was a bit tired as she had woken up from a nap when I got there, but moving around fine, and was very interested in my pants for some reason (the noise) and wanted to pounce and attack them. I distracted her with a bird video and she just watched that intently instead. Point is, she seemed alert and happy, and her incision site looked good (and she was leaving it alone).

On metacamkills.org, they have the letter from BIVI (Metacam manufacturer) which states this:
METACAM Oral Suspension is not licensed in the U.S. for use in cats. Unfortunately adverse events in cats
do occur. These have been reported at a consistent level over the past 5 years and the majority following
the inappropriate off-label administration of the more concentrated 1.5 mg/mL formulation in cats
Then of course this which is also a black box warning on the Metacam information sheet from the metacamkills site (which I did not receive a copy of as a package insert, as the doses were repackaged by the vet office)...text bolded by myself:
Warning: Repeated use of meloxicam in cats has been associated with acute renal failure and death. Do
not administer additional doses of injectable or oral meloxicam to cats
. See Contraindications,
Warnings and Precautions for detailed information.
And:
Do not administer a second dose of meloxicam.
Do not follow the single, one-time dose of meloxicam with any other NSAID.
Do not administer Metacam Oral Suspension following the single, one-time injectable dose of meloxicam
The rest of the info sheet is not any better! Fortunately she had IV fluids for hydration and is drinking water normally so hopefully that reduces the load on her kidneys.

I am a little pissed off at the vet for NOT discussing these risks and such with me especially knowing that I do NOT know her prior medical history when it comes to previous drugs, vaccinations, etc. Telling me to call them if she vomits or isn't eating is not the same as telling me the actual risks and letting me decide whether this is medication I want to use. I will have to put a "NO METACAM" on her chart, but this has me even questioning going back to that vet. What if I had just given them to her no questions asked? I don't mind paying more for another medication if that is what it takes. I hate to think how I would feel if something would have gone wrong, especially as we can't be there 24/7 to watch her. And just so this is covered, this is a vet who specializes in FELINE medicine exclusively! I was also ticked when they first tried to give her Oridermyl for her ear mites instead of Milbemite though I asked specifically for the latter. One being because that stuff is toxic, the other being she DESPISES ear drops and there was a higher risk of me not getting them all in her ear everyday. I got the Milbemite, but I think partially because they did not have any Oridermyl left in stock that day. I still think she needs another dose as my attempts to get the entire dose in her ears at home may not have been successful, but I am debating going to another vet for it though if needed though I can go back to this one for a free recheck.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dispensing metacam with explaining the risks is quite common. I had it happen to me once. I actually gave my kitty an initial dose and then found out at work about the dangers. That day I left work the minute it was time to leave and went 80 mph down the freeway. She was fine. I threw the metacam away. If you do, put it in coffee grounds or kitty litter and dispose of it that way.

I ended up eventually taking my kitty elsewhere and that vet earned my respect when he said he could prescribe metacam for my cat's inflammation, but that it carried high risks. I immediately said I knew about metacam and the answer was "no." That was the end of it.

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the disposal tips! I will make sure to do it that way.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your kitty is well on her way to recovery.  Sometimes it is normal for them to be pretty spaced out with dilated eyes etc for a little bit following anesthesia.  Glad that you were aware of the dangers of metacam.  If she seems painful at all (not eating, or drinking, laying around etc) call your vet and ask for Buprenex.  It is a MUCH safer pain med. 

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like your kitty is well on her way to recovery.  Sometimes it is normal for them to be pretty spaced out with dilated eyes etc for a little bit following anesthesia.  Glad that you were aware of the dangers of metacam.  If she seems painful at all (not eating, or drinking, laying around etc) call your vet and ask for Buprenex.  It is a MUCH safer pain med. 
She is doing very well! Eating, drinking. Laying around but only as she likes lots of head rubs! She was sprawled out on my lap most of last night with her bare belly in the air, happily sleeping and purring away. Her incision looks great. I am not encouraging too much activity but she likes to play like a kitten at times and will make her own fun, so that is not easy! Pouncing on mice invisible to everyone else was a favourite yesterday.

I am sorry to keep on about this, but it still blows my mind that the vet would send me home with oral Metacam. I agree there are plenty of medications might be appropriate for off label use, but one where the manufacturer specifically says NO to oral use in cats, and absolutely no further injections/oral use after a one-time injection? Where even the manufacturer says there is no known safety margin, and the risk of renal failure is high? I am a lawyer. If a manufacturer is putting those warnings on their products it is because they know full there is a real risk and they are protecting themselves. I cannot blame them for my vets own naivety, neglect, or failure to provide informed consent. There are cats on metacamkills that received less dosing then my own Jackie was sent home with, who were also bigger cats (Jackie is only about 6 lbs....even the oral use in dogs under 10 lbs is said by the manufacturer to have more risks) and who were in ARF within hours.

I am finding another vet clinic, but in the meantime I am going to write a letter to the vet and advise her of my concerns. I (and my cat) are fortunate in that I am a bit OCD about what goes into her and research it before use. I would have been furious at myself if I had gave it to her and something happened. I can make informed choices about the meds I take after my own surgeries....she can't and I need to choose for her. What of the other 3-4 people I saw picking up their cats and kittens after spay or neuter surgery that day? The others that go in there everday to take in more cats for surgery? Hopefully they will all be fine...but if not? Will they know why? If they do, how will they feel?

andrya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

l'm in Canada too and my vet uses Buprenorphine. l would feel the same way you do without being given the option of not wanting it because you weren't informed (by them  - kudos for being well-informed yourself).

You could always take the Metacam back for a refund and have that discussion. l'd also ask for a flag to be put on my cat's file to never administer Metacam without prior consent.

sarahgalore1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat sounds adorable. Glad she's doing better. Mine was spayed when she was about 6 months old and she got over it really quickly.

On another isse I took Genie to the vets almost a month ago as she had turned out-of-character aggressive and was quite simply horrid. The vet diagnosed suspected arthritis (no x rays given...) and prescribed Metacam. She explained that she would have to have twice yearly blood tests to keep an eye on her kidney function. I went away feeling relieved that I thought I knew what the problem was. However, I did some research on kitty arthritis and came across so many awful stories about the effects of Metacam. I spoke to the vet who tried to reassure me with "you always hear the horror stories - its human nature" and that Genie had been put on a low dose. I also know people who give it to their cats, but I'm just not risking it. I'm pretty sure now that the aggression has stemmed from redirected aggression, and she was taking her distress out on me. She's 10, so I'm looking into some sort of glucosamine supplement to help her joints stay supple and try to prevent arthritis. Definitely NO Metacam. I'm going to throw it away with the great disposal tips given.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ScubaCat,

You should screen clinics in your search by asking if controversial drugs are discussed before administering/prescribing them. Unfortunately it's quite common for vets to just prescribe and assume clients will blindly follow instructions. The bad thing is that I think for the most part they're probably right--most clients will trust them. I have a feeling that the ones that do discuss medications with the owners are private offices that charge either average or above average since that would mean spending more time with each patient.

sarahgalore1 -- Try researching coconut oil or krill oil. These are natural anti-inflammatories.

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
 :wavey:   l'm in Canada too and my vet uses Buprenorphine. l would feel the same way you do without being given the option of not wanting it because you weren't informed (by them  - kudos for being well-informed yourself).
You could always take the Metacam back for a refund and have that discussion. l'd also ask for a flag to be put on my cat's file to never administer Metacam without prior consent.
I am definitely getting that noted at the next vet!

Thanks for the tip on Buprenorphine.

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ScubaCat,

You should screen clinics in your search by asking if controversial drugs are discussed before administering/prescribing them. Unfortunately it's quite common for vets to just prescribe and assume clients will blindly follow instructions. The bad thing is that I think for the most part they're probably right--most clients will trust them. I have a feeling that the ones that do discuss medications with the owners are private offices that charge either average or above average since that would mean spending more time with each patient.

sarahgalore1 -- Try researching coconut oil or krill oil. These are natural anti-inflammatories.
For sure I will!

This is the thing though, this vet is an expensive private office! The most expensive one in the city. A friend recommended it as they have a vet who specializes in felines there, and is even supportive of a wet/raw diet. The health check was very thorough. I was a bit perturbed with the ear mite med issue but no big deal as it got sorted out. The spay was expensive as I made sure to get IVs, pre-op testing, and a laser spay. We wanted the best we could get for her. It was over $500 Canadian....no overnight stay....including surcharge for her being in heat.....more than twice other private clinics here. Much more than low cost clinics. More than I have ever paid for a spay (usually $80-$100 at lower cost clinics when budget was a much bigger concern). The cost is not the issue (though for a free cat she is expensive, ha!). As a professional, I understand that expertise is worth something. But at that cost I expect a LOT more when it comes to them being educated on the drugs they dispense for their patients. I was just told to squeeze the syringe in her mouth once a day for three days and not to worry as it was "quite palatable". And to watch for lethargy, vomiting and inappetance. Well, nausea from any med can lead to that...so that in itself would hardly raise a red flag for me.

I won't even go back there for her ear mites now. I will find someone else.

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat sounds adorable. Glad she's doing better. Mine was spayed when she was about 6 months old and she got over it really quickly.

On another isse I took Genie to the vets almost a month ago as she had turned out-of-character aggressive and was quite simply horrid. The vet diagnosed suspected arthritis (no x rays given...) and prescribed Metacam. She explained that she would have to have twice yearly blood tests to keep an eye on her kidney function. I went away feeling relieved that I thought I knew what the problem was. However, I did some research on kitty arthritis and came across so many awful stories about the effects of Metacam. I spoke to the vet who tried to reassure me with "you always hear the horror stories - its human nature" and that Genie had been put on a low dose. I also know people who give it to their cats, but I'm just not risking it. I'm pretty sure now that the aggression has stemmed from redirected aggression, and she was taking her distress out on me. She's 10, so I'm looking into some sort of glucosamine supplement to help her joints stay supple and try to prevent arthritis. Definitely NO Metacam. I'm going to throw it away with the great disposal tips given.
Yes, usually my cats were spayed at around 6 months too! And were fine within no time. I felt nervous with Jackie as she is older and we have not had long and know little about her medical history other than she was born in foster care and lived with the foster parent since and has had multiple litters.

I am glad you too researched! Sure you hear horror stories, but this is a case where the MANUFACTURER warns against ANY oral dosage. Their own studies showed big problems, including death of 2 cats on oral Metacam. They say there is NO safe use in oral dosage! Those are not "horror stories", those are actual animal research results and manufacturer warnings.

I hope you find something that works for Genie. My Shelby RIP had mild arthritis in her later years.

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So in the materials they sent me home with I just found a little sheet from the manufacturer BIVI, copyright 2010 "Faces of Acute Pain", that mentions "your vet has also dispensed a follow-up pain-relieving medicine Metacam Oral Suspension for Cats"..."you should give this medicine once a day for the duration recommended....mixed into food or directly into your cat's mouth". No mention of risks aside from generic stomach or bowel upset.

Is this an old info sheet? :paranoid:

Last edited:

scubacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Jackie in to the vet today as her incision was looking a little irritated and red. Opening up a bit at end. So now she is on Clavonox for 7 days, and I had to find a solution to the e-collar thing so she leaves her incision alone. She will throw herself around house to get it off even when cut down a lot and be out of it within seconds. It was off before she left vets office. A onesie was a no go so she is now in an inflatable collar. Poor girl is not too happy with it though happier than with the plastic one. Maybe less noise echoing? She is currently on my lap and realizes it makes a pretty good head rest...just like the inflatable pillow I stick around my head when I travel on the plane!

Just took this picture:

We have to leave tomorrow for a few days (not planned), so I had to change the pet sitter to twice a day to feed her meds, which is okay as I kind of wanted that anyway since it is our first time leaving her. I know if I was here we would still have to work, but still I feel worried!

Hopefully soon she will be back to looking her normal, happier (healed!) self!