My Cat Is Having Episodes Of Illness That My Vet Cannot Diagnose

Simbamom20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back in December my 3.5 year old cat vomited a large amount of food and then became lethargic and did not eat. We did urinalysis, blood work, X-ray and several rounds of fluids. He eventually got better but had a small lump on his side on ribs that appeared and disappeared in a few days. A few weeks later the same thing happened and we had to do the same thing, fluids, force food for days and then once he improves, he has the lump again. We have done an ultrasound and anti-biopics in addition to everything during the first episode. My vet wants to re-run tests that were inconclusive, and i am at a loss. Has anyone had any similar experiences? I am so worried it is going to continue happening.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sorry you guys are going through this. I don't have any idea what the problem may be. Hopefully another round of test can figure it out. Let us know what you figure out. wishing you guys the best!

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear this is happening. I hope Simba starts feeling better soon. Another round of tests should hopefully be able to help your vet to pinpoint the cause. You could always take him to another vet if you want to get a second opinion.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry. to hear about this. Has the vet ever had the chance to physically examine the lump? Take a needle sample (I don't know the technical term for this procedure). Please keep us informed.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he eating something he shouldn't be? Toxic indoor plants, something outside?
Is he coming into contact with something else toxic outside, or inside?
Is your water quality stable?
Have you changed his food since the first episode?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOP, I think Furballsmom has some excellent questions. Please keep him indoors. Do use any insecticide in the house? Rat/mouse poison? Do you wax your floors or the furniture?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Simbamom20

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is an indoor cat and there is nothing i can think of or find that he got in to that he shouldn’t have. I have not gotten him in with the lump since it happened and went away so quickly the last time. Our water is fine and i even usually give him filtered water. After the first episode he wouldn’t even touch his food he has eaten his entire life. I have him eating grain free food and he is eating normally. I did tell my vet about the lump and she didn’t seem concerned by it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, if your vet isn't worried then I guess it's business as usual for you except the diet change, unless this whole routine happens again. Here's hoping it doesn't!!