My Cat Is Diagnosed As A Wet Fip

licy99710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She looks ok
and she is still eating well

she does not hide, she follows me and my mom all day like she usually do.
she does not make meow sound as much as I heard about painful cat would do.

doctor told me that it will only be worst and worst, and the best is to turn her down.

I really don't know what to do.

should I let her go now?
can I have just a week or two?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The doctor is both right and wrong.

FIP is, indeed, incurable and fatal. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's time to put her to sleep. When my Pretzel had cancer and it had become obvious that surgery wasn't adequate to cure her we had three options:
  1. Chemotherapy. Expensive, no guarantee that it would work, and very hard on the cat. We considered it for about 5 minutes before we said "No, we can't do that."
  2. Put her to sleep immediately.
  3. Get good pain medication for her and wait and watch. Unlike some cats, we always knew when Pretzel was in pain (many cats are very good at hiding their pain), so we could keep her on pain meds until they stopped working and then have her put to sleep.
We went with option 3, and I have no regrets. Pretzel had several good months that she and we would have missed out on if we'd euthanized her immediately. The key question is whether you can tell when your kitten is hurting. If you can, I'd advise you to hold off on euthanizing her. If you can't, it may be kinder to get it over with before things get really bad, but even if you decide to do that you can certainly have a week or two to say "Goodbye." Only you can decide which way to go.

Welcome to The Cat Site. I'm very sorry that it's such a sad diagnosis that brought you here, but I'm glad you found us, because this is the best, most supportive community of cat lovers on the internet and you couldn't have found a better site to help you get through this very painful situation.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :alright: :catrub: :grouphug2:

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

licy99710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The doctor is both right and wrong.

FIP is, indeed, incurable and fatal. That doesn't necessarily mean that it's time to put her to sleep. When my Pretzel had cancer and it had become obvious that surgery wasn't adequate to cure her we had three options:
  1. Chemotherapy. Expensive, no guarantee that it would work, and very hard on the cat. We considered it for about 5 minutes before we said "No, we can't do that."
  2. Put her to sleep immediately.
  3. Get good pain medication for her and wait and watch. Unlike some cats, we always knew when Pretzel was in pain (many cats are very good at hiding their pain), so we could keep her on pain meds until they stopped working and then have her put to sleep.
We went with option 3, and I have no regrets. Pretzel had several good months that she and we would have missed out on if we'd euthanized her immediately. The key question is whether you can tell when your kitten is hurting. If you can, I'd advise you to hold off on euthanizing her. If you can't, it may be kinder to get it over with before things get really bad, but even if you decide to do that you can certainly have a week or two to say "Goodbye." Only you can decide which way to go.

Welcome to The Cat Site. I'm very sorry that it's such a sad diagnosis that brought you here, but I'm glad you found us, because this is the best, most supportive community of cat lovers on the internet and you couldn't have found a better site to help you get through this very painful situation.
:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :alright: :catrub: :grouphug2:

Margret
Really, thank you so much.
I just don't know what to do.
a day or two is to short to say goodbye, and a week or two would be too.
or even a month or two.
I'm not even sure if she is in pain or not.
He looks ok for me, but hearing that cats can hide their pain well, I can't be even sure of it.

licy99710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How was she diagnosed? Is the vet going by symptoms, a titer test, or what? If she's tested positive for Corona virus, it doesn't necessarily mean she has FIP.
I think the vet was doing it with symptoms. she has been slea a lot and her belly is full of water.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the diagnosis. I would stay in close contact with my vet. let the vet know i wanted to give her every good day that i could. I think once she starts to have more bad than good, or seems to be in pain you will know, and that will be when you have to make the decision. That is just what i would do, ask the vet to treat the symptoms as much as she can, and when you can no longer treat them you will need to let her go. So very hard! Keep us updated. sending you and her hugs, pretty little girl! :grouphug:

licy99710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you.
i will try my best and be updated.
I do think we need more time, and she is yet having more good days than one is not.

licy99710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am so sorry for the diagnosis. I would stay in close contact with my vet. let the vet know i wanted to give her every good day that i could. I think once she starts to have more bad than good, or seems to be in pain you will know, and that will be when you have to make the decision. That is just what i would do, ask the vet to treat the symptoms as much as she can, and when you can no longer treat them you will need to let her go. So very hard! Keep us updated. sending you and her hugs, pretty little girl! :grouphug:
Thank you.
I do think we need more time, and she is yet having more good days than one is not.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
from reading it, I belive that she is not in serious pain.
I'm glad to hear it. I believe duckpond duckpond has given you the best advice:
I would stay in close contact with my vet. let the vet know i wanted to give her every good day that i could. I think once she starts to have more bad than good, or seems to be in pain you will know, and that will be when you have to make the decision. That is just what i would do, ask the vet to treat the symptoms as much as she can, and when you can no longer treat them you will need to let her go.
Do please keep us updated on your little one; we worry about all cats in distress, and especially those belonging to our members, and we worry about our members whose cats are ill. You have a very hard time ahead of you, and we want to be here for you and your kitten. :grouphug: :hugs:

Margret

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you.
Thank you.
from reading it, I belive that she is not in serious pain.
I'm so sorry. Diagnosing FIP is hard, and there is a chance that your vet may be wrong. Cats with FIP usually have experienced stressful environmental changes or crowded areas where coronaviruses spread quickly, like shelters & veterinarian offices. I would recommend giving this article a read and then consulting your vet for any additional testing, if you can afford it.

Feline FIP: Understanding a Deadly Cat Virus | Ask The Cat Doctor

There are financial assistance programs which cover the cost of vet care, including diagnostics, there is a list of them here but I would call your regional animal shelter to ask for all of them:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat's Life

I am praying for you and Kam. <3 :vibes::vibes: :goodluck:

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am glad she is having good days now. enjoy them and give her all the love you can. Post when you have time, we are here for you guys!

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about her diagnosis. But my cue is always a cat that stops eating or moans continuously. Been there, both instances, (different cats) and was was pretty obvious.
Courage, as time moves on. I wish you both sweet days or months ahead.

licy99710

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We went to vet and got some med.
antibiotic, steroid and med for fever.
She had some fever and could not sleep, but after giving her med, she is taking some sleep now.
She loves to eat chicken and shrimp, however, she could not bite it off as she used to do.
Now we are feeding her after slicing them.
It looks like she just don't have consistency to chew things, but loves to eat sliced food.
She walks to water and litter box herself, and still curious for everything that is moving.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks for the update on her. i would slice her food up as small as i could, and hand feed her if that makes her feel better, and she can eat a bit. My thoughts and prayers are with you guys!