my cat is bored.

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is a super genius who can open doors, figure out mazes, understands a good amount of English, etc. He has recently begun to learn how to open the kitchen cabinets, but right now he just gets his paw in and out a little bit so it makes a slamming noise. It is incredibly annoying and moreover, I don't want him getting into the cabinets where I keep cleaning supplies, much less my pots and pans. I am on a short pregnant lady fuse these days. He knows "no" and "stop," but it doesn't deter him for more than a minute. 

I think that he is doing it for attention, which makes me feel bad. I have a few different wand toys, which he likes, but even though I play with him twice a day for fifteen minutes (per previous advice), it doesn't seem like enough. I'm afraid he's not being mentally stimulated. He gets bored of toys quickly. I'm also tired of buying Bird refills because he shreds them in a matter of hours, every time. He knows exactly where to bite to "kill" the bird, i.e. break its neck, i.e. make all the feathers fall out at once. 

He wasn't this way before I got pregnant, I swear. He needs constant attention and I feel bad for him. He hates other cats and that is not an option. I'm leash-training him but also thinking of stopping because he's not that into it yet, and I don't want to start having to use flea medication or expose him to worms (re: i'm pregnant). 

I guess what I am asking is if anyone has fun, challenging toys that their cats love that I maybe haven't discovered yet, either interactive or for self-play. Has anyone made anything cool? 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
My Max sounds like your guy, though he doesn't typically mutilate his toys...he just tires of them quickly.

I have an automatic laser (Bolt) that runs for 15 mins that typically keeps his (and other's) attention. Max is also food driven, so I have taken to "train" him. He will Sit, Shake, Give Hi-Five, Circle and Jump. We are working on Down and will progress to Roll.

Max also enjoys the Cat Sitter videos...particularly the ones with rodents.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have incredibly smart cats too.  There's no easy way with them - you can't just palm them off to a stand alone toy, because that is not how they are wired.  They will be more interested in 'how it works' (aka dismantle it) than in 'playing' with it, if anything.  For these cats, they like human play - anything involving their human on the other end - and they like puzzles.

I have a whole collection of reviews of toys, and self made toys that would probably give you inspiration: http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/, and the 'equipment&furniture' section will also give you some ideas to make their environment really enriching.

renstwin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I suggest for smart kitty: turbo scratcher...I only leave mine out when I am at work.

I have also had luck with this puzzle type toy:

It is a sturdy wooden box. It comes with two balls that move around inside. I up the ante by putting some treats and smaller toys for kitty to pull out. Not every cat likes it, but it sounds like your kitty would.

If your cat shreds the bird, have you tried the other toy by the same company? It's a little mouse and he might like that too.

Part of the trick is rotating things. I never leave the same toys out, and certain special items I only leave out at certain times. I also leave treats out in certain places for kitty to find, you will be amazed where you can hide them and have your cat still find them!

Good luck. I hope some of this helps you.

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Matt does the cupboard door thing too...at 4am to wake me up so that he can purrrr at me
 This started around the time I started back to school, because he misses me during the day I think. He's another super-smart cat who loves anything electronic including the printer, the PS3 and the DVD player.....we have a TV stand with doors on it lol.

I use the laser pointer to stimulate him...at least for a few minutes until he decides to stop chasing and start hunting......then he gets crafty lol!

There is a KONG for cats now.....I believe the filling paste is fish flavored? perhaps that would occupy him? 

Treat balls are good too, but if you cat is as smart as you say he might do what Matt did and discover the perfect angle at which to roll the ball so that the treats fall out...then he just rolled it around with his nose for a few minutes and ate the treats!

barbgee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just thinking about this today, when Kitty was very much bored with the standard play regimen we have.  All her toys are a "thing on a stick", and I can't really figure out how to change things up for her.  She has a food puzzle ball, but plays with it once a day as her "bedtime snack" treat. We play twice a day; at least half an hour each time.  Since she still refuses to come down stairs, I worry about her activity levels and also her state of mind.

What else can be done to make her life more interesting? 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
A Peek-a-Prize, Turbo Track, toy mice, balls, crinkle balls, etc are good toy options for cats. Also, cat trees/shelves are a wonderful investment when it comes to cats.

I also have a Bolt, which is an automatic laser toy. It runs for 15 mins and is still a fav for my cats 2.5 yrs later.

micknsnicks2mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My cat is a super genius who can open doors, figure out mazes, understands a good amount of English, etc. He has recently begun to learn how to open the kitchen cabinets, but right now he just gets his paw in and out a little bit so it makes a slamming noise. It is incredibly annoying and moreover, I don't want him getting into the cabinets where I keep cleaning supplies, much less my pots and pans. I am on a short pregnant lady fuse these days. He knows "no" and "stop," but it doesn't deter him for more than a minute. 

I think that he is doing it for attention, which makes me feel bad. I have a few different wand toys, which he likes, but even though I play with him twice a day for fifteen minutes (per previous advice), it doesn't seem like enough. I'm afraid he's not being mentally stimulated. He gets bored of toys quickly. I'm also tired of buying Bird refills because he shreds them in a matter of hours, every time. He knows exactly where to bite to "kill" the bird, i.e. break its neck, i.e. make all the feathers fall out at once. 

He wasn't this way before I got pregnant, I swear. He needs constant attention and I feel bad for him. He hates other cats and that is not an option. I'm leash-training him but also thinking of stopping because he's not that into it yet, and I don't want to start having to use flea medication or expose him to worms (re: i'm pregnant). 

I guess what I am asking is if anyone has fun, challenging toys that their cats love that I maybe haven't discovered yet, either interactive or for self-play. Has anyone made anything cool? 
my snick taught herself to open cabinet doors the same way. i now keep filled plastic kitchen canisters in front of all (lower) cabinet doors, which does stop snick and has for several years. i'm not sure if this would help with your boy. you could use some cabinet door "thingies" (ie, various things that are on the market/in the stores) that are made to prevent toddlers from getting into them though. and that might make sense to use since you're going to have a (human) child soon enough.

something that might help to some extent is to rotate kitty's toys and games. many/most cats get bored with toys that they see/play with every day, after a while. so if you put the toys that have been out for kitty to play with awhile away and bring out some that he hasn't seen/played with for a while, he should have new interest in them -- it's like getting a new toy for them.

does your boy have any games? something like ball tracks, peek-a-prize, a treat ball, or other "game"? these can help kitty play on his own sometimes, like in the middle of the night when most humans are asleep. i rotate my snick's games too, because after a while she gets bored with the games i have set out for her.

you could also put together several shipping boxes and make a kitty fort for your boy. these do get torn up/ripped apart or just break down after some time, but most cats enjoy playing in boxes and box forts. you can cut out windows and make entryways, tape several boxes together, and even make a second floor/level to it.

angelinacat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Somehow, rig a way to tie your cabinet doors closed.  I know that many cabinets these days do not have handles or knobs on them.  You may need to put some on so you can deal with this.

It is the same issue that you will have/ or have had with a curious toddler--if you were blessed in that way ...

Last edited:

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to play volleyball with my cat, will your cat "fetch?" if so, he gets exercise and you get to just throw the ball (or tightly wrapped aluminum foil that he NEVER gets left alone with). ping pong balls are cool, but my cat was afraid of superballs and slinkys.

mycatwasthebest

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I have incredibly smart cats too.  There's no easy way with them - you can't just palm them off to a stand alone toy, because that is not how they are wired.  They will be more interested in 'how it works' (aka dismantle it) than in 'playing' with it, if anything.  For these cats, they like human play - anything involving their human on the other end - and they like puzzles.

I have a whole collection of reviews of toys, and self made toys that would probably give you inspiration: http://catstuff4aussies.weebly.com/, and the 'equipment&furniture' section will also give you some ideas to make their environment really enriching.
I would suggest that instead of potentially harmful items to your cat (and child) such as foam and plastic bags and bubblewrap, that you use things that are not choking hazards, like bubbles. If your cats likes playing with things and you have to stop using them for your toddler's sake it will be more frustrating than never to have used them at all.

tammyp

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Please note that I have responded to mycatwasthebest personally and addressed any concerns about the safety of suggested games on my website.  With ANY toy, the disclaimer is ALWAYS to play in supervision and put away the toy afterwards, unless it is designed as a stand alone toy - and even then these toys will tell you not to play with them without adult supervision.

barbgee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How many toys do you guys leave just laying about?

I'm thinking maybe I have too many toys out in Kitty's room?

cat addictions

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Sorry to hear that your cat is finding annoying ways to entertain himself though. Have you considered baby locks on the cupboards to keep him out of the cleaning supplies? With a baby on the way it seems like a entertainment solution that allows you to remove yourself from the equation a little would be best.

Wishing you luck! 

Last edited by a moderator:

matts mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I keep five or six, and try to change them up. I had someone suggest hiding toys as well, so that he can "discover" them when he's bored. It's a good kitten trick, but Matt doesn't really explore anymore lol :)

I liked the bubbles suggestion.....the kids were playing bubbles one day and Matt was completely enthralled with them!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a KONG for cats now.....I believe the filling paste is fish flavored? perhaps that would occupy him? 
Does your cat like the KONG? Is it safe? Does it make a mess? I've seen it in pet stores and it looks small. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meandthegov

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gov is totally afraid of bubbles. I tried the catnip bubbles and I would NOT recommend them--besides being sticky and smelling gross, they're so hard to use! I maybe blow one bubble for every 15 attempts. 

Peek a prize and some cheap ping pong balls are on the way from amazon. Thanks everyone! 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Gov is totally afraid of bubbles. I tried the catnip bubbles and I would NOT recommend them--besides being sticky and smelling gross, they're so hard to use! I maybe blow one bubble for every 15 attempts. 
Really?  I don't mind the minty smell and I didn't notice any stickiness on the floors anyway.  Or have trouble blowing them.  Noodles loves them.  Mooch goes to hide.  Maybe the brand makes a difference.  The cat does certainly! 

My RB kitty loved ping pong balls!  I don't know if we ever tried them with these two. 

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

How many toys do you guys leave just laying about?

I'm thinking maybe I have too many toys out in Kitty's room?
A dozen furry mice, a catnip rat, a squeaky mouse, several empty gallon water jugs, several empty 20 ounce bottles, rings from water jugs, empty aluminum cans, empty medicine bottles with softair shot in them, balls of paper, shoes, clothes to drag out of the laundry hamper, stacks of books and dvds to knock over. and the other four ladies.      AKA being a slob.

Last edited: