My Cat Is Being Weird

Meghan M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I have a two year old cat. She's very well behaved as long as she gets enough outside time. When she comes back in, however, she sometimes does something odd. She can't seem to stand that she can't get into the door that leads to my upstairs neighbor (I live in a co-op). She gets down really low and loudly sniffs back and forth and then scratches at the door. Then (and this is the weird part), she rolls onto her back and starts wriggling and rolling around. Then meows, then rolls, then meows... Is this rolling thing a way of marking her scent? Or is it something else?

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be marking her scent or it might be rolling in a scent she is getting from your neighbor. Do they have a cat or other pet she might be smelling? Another possibility is that she likes the feel of whatever she is rolling on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meghan M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm... options! I don't have any other pets and my neighbor has none. I do know that she likes rolling on the cement outside and at my parents' house on their stone hearth, so she obviously like scratchy things. The hallway that she's rolling around on is rubber and is not a scratchy texture. I noticed her rolling in front of a neighbor's cat last year. I thought this was odd. Now I know that this cat is bullying her. He or she even tried to bolt into my apartment to chase my cat! She hid under the bed for an hour. So I don't know, is she being submissive to the point where she wants my neighbor's scent on her?

Meghan M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For more info: she appears to be rolling around right next to the crack in front of their door so now I'm thinking it's scent related.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe?
I think she wants to meet your neighbor, or your neighbor has something, food or something, that your furface really really wants to check out LOL

Meghan M

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe that's it. She doesn't do this nutty thing all the time. Maybe it's when my neighbor has cooked something she wants to get it. It is really funny to witness.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's just a smell thing. Might be a new smell. Might be something from YEARS ago.
Nothing to worry about though.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I always see rolling around with an exposed belly as a happy, playful thing. Even with the neighbors cat she may have wanted to play and it just didn't work out the way she wanted so ran and hid.