My Cat Is Avoiding Me And My New Kitten.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We adopted a new kitten just over a week ago. The first few days we kept him separated from my cat and would just let them smell each other through the door. My cat is an indoor outdoor cat so when she would go outside we would let the new kitten wander around the house and put him back when she was ready to come in. After a few days we let them meet each other and it went OK. Basically my cat hissed at him and then walked away and wanted back outside. Things have been going OK, in the sense that they aren't fighting with each other or anything. Basically my cat either wants to sit quietly and observe him or go away from him and hide in the closet. She has stopped coming up on the couch, sleeping in bed with us, etc she's pretty upset. She just sits in the closet and sleeps looking sad or wants to go outside and stay there all day to avoid the kitten. She is generally fine with him until he gets excited and runs up to her and wants to play. Then she will hiss and swat him away.

The other night they looked they were sort of playing, chasing each other back and forth but then the kitten decided something else was exciting and left her sitting there.

I can see she is slowly starting to accept him but I feel terrible she has abandoned every favourite hangout spot she has. She will sit on her cat tree and chill out out if you place her there but then the kitten goes to see her and it's all over. She has never been around a kitten before either. I try to get them to eat together whenever I can but it doesn't always work. Often my cat will just sit there and stare at him eating and not touch her food. Or kitten will eat so fast he finishes his and then goes to the say hi while the other cat is still eating.

I'm trying to go upstairs and sit with her when she goes in the closet and she seems to enjoy it mostly. Sometimes she will come out and come downstairs for food but then she wants to go outside and avoid him still. She is sometimes interested in playtime but then the kitten gets excited and wants the play too. I've tried popping him out first and then giving her playtime alone with me but he wakes up every damn time! He'll be dead asleep and I'll let the cat in to have some food and maybe come gets some pets and he's suddenly wide awake.

I knew this wasn't going to be easy, but I'm feeling worse than I anticipated about the whole thing. The kitten came to bed one night when out cat was sleeping in there with us and she has refused to come back ever since. This morning I managed to go upstairs and do some cleaning while my other cat sat in the bedroom with me. She seemed to enjoy the time with me and then when I went back downstairs she went back into the closet.

My kitten also had a cold he picked up from the shelter so now my other cat is getting sick and I feel even worse. I love this kitten but I feel maybe I should have thought twice about adopting him. I know it will take time but right now it feels like I ruined my other cats life and I feel horrible. I just wanted to do my part, there are so many cats out there who need homes. My boyfriend thinks the other cat has been alienated, but I mean what am. I supposed to do when she refuses to be part of the group? I can't sit with her in a room our outside all day. She doesn't really play, not big on treats all though lately she has been less picky about food. She's pretty stand offish.

When she's outside and we are out there she comes up for pets and rolls around by your feet still so I know she isn't "gone" but I'm worried she won't go back to her old self.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Man, you really did that quickly, and that is probably the issue. Most successful cat introductions take a few weeks, if not months, to accomplish. Not to fret! You can just go back and start over! That's the lovely thing about introducing cats, do-overs can be very successful, indeed! Here's an article that will guide you a bit:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Now, while all of this is going on, be sure that you keep the kitten contained in a room for a good part of the day when your first cat can be inside and enjoying all of her normal special spots!

Keep us posted on how things are going!

OH...have a vet check these guys. If they have URIs, they will need antibiotics!

You did NOT do the wrong thing, you were just a little quick of the mark with the introduction! Don't beat yourself up over this. Very few people get it right the first time ever without some assistance! And you saved a kitten. This is good stuff. All will be well. And don't worry about your cat being alienated. Cats don't hold grudges like that. She loves you, and will get used to the kitten, and, as I said, all will be well.

In fact, I'm going to quote Julian of Norwich at you! "And all will be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well." What lovely words of hope!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aside from the couple issues they are doing great together. They aren't fighting whatsoever. She's is perfectly happy to sit with him quietly, she just seems to get nervous when he gets too excited to see her. I don't know if seperating them I'd going to help that lol he just needs to grow up and learn from her his cat manners such as don't get in another cats face. But I'm going back to work next week so I might put him in the basement for the day and let him come out when we're home if things are not better. They are slowly improving and after spending time together this morning my cat is upstairs napping in my bed instead the closet so maybe she just need more time to get used to him. I don't keep fully separate because she goes outside often so I figured it wasn't a big deal and then she could smell him when she came in

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So what is the time frame for introducing them together? I out the kitten in the basement this morning. My cat looks really sad and depressed. She hasn't purred in days for me. She won't come away from the door to get outside

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately, there isn't an actual timeline. Each group of cats will be different. Is there some special treat that your cat likes? I'm not above bribery when dealing with a cat with hurt feelings. AND make sure you spend sufficient time with the kitten each day! You don't want him to become unsocial in the process.

Actually, if they are content to spend time together, try letting them do that, then removing the kitten when he goes for her and she gets antsy. That might work.

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, there isn't an actual timeline. Each group of cats will be different. Is there some special treat that your cat likes? I'm not above bribery when dealing with a cat with hurt feelings. AND make sure you spend sufficient time with the kitten each day! You don't want him to become unsocial in the process.

Actually, if they are content to spend time together, try letting them do that, then removing the kitten when he goes for her and she gets antsy. That might work.
That's what's I've been doing. She really only gets upset at him if she doesn't know what he's doing or he gets up in her space. Then she swats him and he lays down and plays dead lol then we take him and try to get his attention on something else. I gave them a snack together this afternoon and it went well.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ya know what? Just keep doing that. I had a light-bulb-over-the-head moment...she's acting just like a mama cat when the kittens act out, and she's had enough of that! Give them a swat, then get away for awhile. I think they will be just fine once she's taught the kitten his manners!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have no clue why that took so long to connect! Must be the general madness of the season!

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well except she groans at him. BUT last night I woke up around 230 - I do that when there's no cat in my bed, it's like a sixth sense - and went to go find baby kitten since my other one jumped up on the bed and left immediately. Brought him to bed and within minutes the cat walks in and I can hear her groaning at him. She stopped after a few minutes and went to sleep on the floor in the bedroom which she hasn't done in over a week. She slept on bed yesterday and today so maybe she is at a turning point. She looks so crusty and grumpy inside but then she's her happy self outside running around but she can't stay outside all day obviously it's winter

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She's adjusting. And that "groan" is cattish for "don't even think about it, brat."

Raevyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol! It's funny because as a kid we ALWAYS had multiple cats. And we just brought the cat home and that was that. It was never a problem. We adopted a stray a while back over the summer and it just didn't work out. He was really aggressive, attacking us even and u wasn't equipped to handle the issues he turned out to have so I wonder if she's also nervous about that. He would corner her outside, chase her and scratch her behind. One morning I was making coffee and he just lunged at my leg and dug in.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Repeated claws in the behind would make me a little cautious, as well. She'll figure out that this time is going to be different, it will just take a little time. Actually, doing this during the winter might be a good thing, as she will be less likely to want to be out ALL the time!