My cat is attacking new cat any chance she gets..

naerianu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok I had posted here a while back about our new rescued cat (Anya) peeing and pooping outside the litter box. For the most part confining her to a cage for a few days worked, she now poops and pees in litterboxes. However, she pees on the carpet after my cat (Koko) has gone into the room she stays in to attack her. We have been keeping her with our roommate so she is separated.. Everytime we try to let them acclimate to each other, koko attacks anya. She has scratched her nose a few times even though we keep her claws clipped. I am tempted to put cat socks on koko and put them in a room together until they get over it. Not sure if thats the best course of action though. As a background, Anya was found declawed, and she seems very skittish around other cats anyway, but having koko attack her like this isnt helping. Anya hides either in our roommates room now, or under the couch in the living room until Koko notices and goes after her. It has been so bad that even with me BETWEEN them, koko will run around me, around whatever is in the way and go right after Anya to attack her. She will back her into a corner and just swipe and continue unless someone stops her. 

Help! This started out as Koko trying to play with Anya, but everytime Koko tried to play with Anya, she would cower back into a corner and hiss and not play back or defend herself. Then it evolved into this super aggression.. We have started spraying Koko with water everytime she starts going after Anya, hoping that this will 'condition' her behavior to know this is unacceptable.. 

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How long have you had the 2 of them? Did you introduce them slowly? Also Anya may not want to use the litter because she is declawed. Which may also be the reason she doesn't fight back as well. Has the peeing and pooing outside the box stopped?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

naerianu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the most part yes, she only pees outside the litterbox when she has been harassed in her room by Koko. They have been together for about...a month and a half now. We introduced them slowly, and like I said, Koko started warming up to her and wanting to play, but Anya only showed fear in response, then Koko started getting aggressive and going after her. 

ms waise

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the most part yes, she only pees outside the litterbox when she has been harassed in her room by Koko. They have been together for about...a month and a half now. We introduced them slowly, and like I said, Koko started warming up to her and wanting to play, but Anya only showed fear in response, then Koko started getting aggressive and going after her. 
Well, I'm about a month and a half into it with my new kitty as well. When I did the research it read that if the cats become aggressive or there are any issues, even with cats who have lived together for years, they should be reintroduced slowly until the one or both of them regain their confidence. I expected the introduction process to take up to at least 3 months but mine seem to be getting along better. You may want to start from scratch and this time go way slower until they are both comfortable. I know it is a lot of work and it will take a lot of energy. But if you hang in there you can at least get them to the point where even if they don't like each other, you can all live peacefully.