My Cat Is Attacking My Dog

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! My cat has always gotten along with the dogs since she grew up with one of them and the other one she’s known since he was a puppy. But she got pregnant a few weeks ago and the day before her pregnancy she just snapped and randomly attacked the dog she’s known since he was a puppy. It was intense, and she wouldn’t stop. We got a lot of scratches and bites trying to stop the fight. I locked her in my room and she gave birth there the next night to one stillborn kitten. After a while I had the guts to let her downstairs and she was all fine until 2 days ago when I stupidly raised my voice a little too loud at one of the dogs for not listening, and she ran over and attacked the OTHER dog. It didn’t escalate thankfully cause we stopped her in time and put her in my room again for the night. I let her down the day after and she’s normal again but everytime the dogs bark or play too energetically she always watches them really intensely. When a neighbor loudly walked past our front door a few minutes ago the dog she’s attacked barked loudly, I saw the fur on her tail and back stand up just like those two times she attacked him and she was about to run downstairs. I grabbed her and put her in my room for a few minutes, and now she’s calm again. But she keeps staring at the dogs as soon as they move too much or make too much sound as if she’s ready. This hasn’t happened before she got pregnant. She’s getting spayed on Monday but I’m scared this behavior won’t change, and if it doesn’t we have to put her down. Can someone help me out?? I love her to pieces but this is extremely stressful and hard to deal with. I feel like I can barely leave my house or relax since I always have to see what she’s doing and a person can’t live like that. She also seems less happy lately, it’s like she’s always on her guard except when she plays with the other cat or when she’s sleeping. Could she become calmer after she’s spayed or is this most likely a permanent behavior issue?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I meant the day before her giving birth.

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t know how I worded that... I meant that she got pregnant and the day before giving birth she attacked one of the dogs for the first time. A few days after being in my room (with me most of the time) with a litter box, food and water I let her downstairs again and she seemed normal, up until 2 days ago.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
She is just being an overprotective mother, her hormones/motherly instinct are controllering her during/after pregnancy.

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes she should get spayed asap after she winds down a bit. Talk to your local vet about when she can get it done after a birthing.

They should calm down after :).

angiekisa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she should get spayed asap after she winds down a bit. Talk to your local vet about when she can get it done after a birthing.

They should calm down after :).
Thank you for your reply! I talked to the vet last week and booked an appointment so she’s getting spayed on Monday. I really hope that will calm her down cause I’m unfortunately really emotionally attached to her and it will kill me to lose her. Praying everything works out!

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your reply! I talked to the vet last week and booked an appointment so she’s getting spayed on Monday. I really hope that will calm her down cause I’m unfortunately really emotionally attached to her and it will kill me to lose her. Praying everything works out!
I personally don’t think you have anything to worry about after the spay is done (give it a few weeks after for her hormones to flush from her body).

If she still continues to be aggressive we can discuss options like a pheromone diffuser (Feliway), etc :).

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry about the stillborn kitten. :( I'm sure the pregnancy, the birth, the loss of her kitten, and possibly going into heat again is making your girl stressed. I'm glad she getting spayed on Monday. Hopefully once she is feeling better she'll be back to her normal self.

Couple things to keep in mind, the other cat may act aggressively towards your female when you bring her back from the vet. That is called non-recognition aggression, and is explained in the How To Deal With Non-recognition Aggression In Cats TCS article.

So you might end up having to re-introduce the cats, as well as your female cat to the dogs. Hopefully that won't be necessary. I'll post links to some TCS articles just in case. :crossfingers:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Dogs