My Cat Hisses When Playing With String Toy

Sarahsunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat people. My one year old cat has always been very playful and especially loves his chaser/teaser toy that has long strands and feathers. He goes crazy for the toy and loves to chase it. I’ve always noticed he lets out a sharp/heavy exhale when playing but I had assumed it was because he was catching his breath or something. Today I noticed he was hissing when he would catch the toy and I’d pull it away. When I realized it was a hiss I put the toy down and watched his behavior. He seemed confused as to why I stopped playing and eventually plopped down next to me. He’s not an aggressive kitty and never bites or hisses towards me or anyone for that matter. But why the random hiss during play time?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats, mine included, let out an occasional hiss when they get excited, very emotional or are playing. Willow will do this even when she is playing by herself or even off kneading on her favorite pillow. It really doesn’t mean anything, just kind of a cute quirk.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put an old toy back into the rotation the other day, and one of my guys went nuts over it - hissing, growling and something that sounded like huffing. It was cute and the effect wore off after a couple of days.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sarahsunny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
D duncanmac Ok good to know. My cat huffs as well. When he was 8 months old and did that I thought maybe he had the beginnings of asthma or just required a gentle playtime. But good to know its just excitement