My Cat Hisses At The Newcomer

Deilla

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had Jazzy now for just over two weeks. I introduced her slowly with smells first, then sight through a gate and eventually a face to face. My new cat seemed Okay. But she tried to attack him. So I put them up again. A few days later they were in the same space. She jumped the gate. This time Nyke hissed at her. She seems fine. I separated them behind a closed door. Now I don't know how I'm going to integrate them. I have no help. I was relying on the gate so they could see one another. I'm not sure what to do now. I read you could crate one during interaction but that seems so cruel. I also read that some hissing is Okay. So I'm really confused too. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How old are both cats? If Nyke is older, it could take a lot longer than just a couple of weeks - and that is true in many cases, even if they are both still fairly young. Can you get a double tiered gate? Or, keep the door closed when you can't be home?

Hissing just by itself is not bad, but cannot be allowed when you are not able to watch what is going on.

Anything in these articles that might help?

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction

And just in case Nyke is a bit older -

How To Introduce A Kitten To An Older Cat

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is the issue with hissing? This is how cats communicate. You put 2 new cats together and they hiss and growl and say "hey I am tough so watch out". This is what cats do.

Plus 2 weeks is nothing, sometimes the process can take months. My 2 cats always just tolerated each other, one would hissed at each other always if they got too close. When I did in home euthanasia on the one, the other slept on the spot she died on the couch every single day until I moved. They were closer than I ever realized, just a couple of bitchy old ladies haha.