My Cat hid her kittens

jazzylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, first time poster. I've been reading up on the forums since my cat gave birth last Monday. She gave birth to a single kitten who was been healthy and gaining weight. She is almost a week old. Everything was great until I got home from work today..

Shelly has apparently moved her kitten. We had a comfortable spot with a heating pad under a towel that she was using up until today. She never seemed to have a problem, the spot was in a very dark and secluded area in our closet. I'm worried. Shelly follows me meowing. I checked under furniture and in other closest. I'm trying to stay calm, but I'm worried about a single kitten staying warm wherever she moved her.

What should I do? Is this normal? I'm worried and confused.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep looking, I would try a recording a kittens crying to see if mom will lead you to her baby. Unfortunately it's also possible the kitten didn't make it. How old is mom? Has she had kittens before? are you getting her spayed?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Keep listening, that baby should start yelling pretty soon if not already. Sending lots of hugs!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I also recommend that you find and play a YouTube recording of newborn kittens crying to see if she will lead you to her kitten. Were mom and kitten enclosed in the one room, or could mom have moved the kitten anywhere in your home? Otherwise, keep looking under beds, in drawers, under and in everything you can think of. Please keep us posted!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, first time poster. I've been reading up on the forums since my cat gave birth last Monday. She gave birth to a single kitten who was been healthy and gaining weight. She is almost a week old. Everything was great until I got home from work today..

Shelly has apparently moved her kitten. We had a comfortable spot with a heating pad under a towel that she was using up until today. She never seemed to have a problem, the spot was in a very dark and secluded area in our closet. I'm worried. Shelly follows me meowing. I checked under furniture and in other closest. I'm trying to stay calm, but I'm worried about a single kitten staying warm wherever she moved her.

What should I do? Is this normal? I'm worried and confused.

She very well could have forgotten where she placed him- so please keep on looking and be very careful where you step.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jazzylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep looking, I would try a recording a kittens crying to see if mom will lead you to her baby. Unfortunately it's also possible the kitten didn't make it. How old is mom? Has she had kittens before? are you getting her spayed?
Hi! LUCKY day because I found the kitten. She put her in the depths of our linen closet, so I have no fear of the kitten staying warm. For now I will just pretend I have no idea she is in there. This is her first surviving kitten, and she took to motherhood naturally. Ironically was supposed to be spayed before COVID hit...will definitely be rescheduling when she is done nursing.

Is it normal for mom to follow me around between her nursing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How did you eventually locate the kitten?

Yes, mom wants attention. She’s still very hormonal, so most unusual behavior can be attributed to that right now.

Last edited:

jazzylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I found the kitten! Shelly has tucked her in the depths of the linen closest. Thank you everyone for your condolences and help! Here is a picture of Shelly yesterday. Her baby is a clone of herself!
shelly.JPG

jazzylou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How did you eventually locate the kitten?

Yes, mom wants attention. She’s still very hormonal, so most unusual behavior can be attributed to her that right now.
Well, after I posted I was finally able to sit down and stay calm...my maternal instincts kicked in to find that baby and I was restless. So, anyways, the house became peaceful and I let it be quiet. That's when I saw Shelly had disappeared and I heard the lil squeaks. Such a relief!

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, after I posted I was finally able to sit down and stay calm...my maternal instincts kicked in to find that baby and I was restless. So, anyways, the house became peaceful and I let it be quiet. That's when I saw Shelly had disappeared and I heard the lil squeaks. Such a relief!

I am awfully glad you found him. " :) I would be careful where you walk from now on because she will probably hide him again and in a few weeks, when he is walking well, he will constantly be underfoot.

Kittycatcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh how scary that must have been! So glad you managed to find out where she had hidden her baby. What a relief.