My Cat Hates my Friend and I Don't Know Why

tangoking

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since the day he met her, my cat HATES my friend. I don't know why, and it's driving me crazy.

Every time he hears her, he runs for cover! 

I am a younger man with just one cat; she an older woman with a half-dozen cats. Does he smell her cats? Is she encroaching on his territory? wth? He doesn't behave like that with my Dad or Brother.

The first time they met, I gave her some treats to give to him. I usually feed him treats from my hand, and told her to do the same. She put them in the bowl... but he took off like a rocket and wanted nothing to do with her.

Last edited by a moderator:

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is that since he's an only kitty and he can smell her cats even if you can't and she can't, that is what bothers him so much.  If she showered and put on new clothes that hadn't been around the cats at all, he could still smell them because they have her marked pretty good and they can smell things through our soaps, perfumes and deodorants that we can't.   So it is probably not HER but her cats that bother him.  I know it's hard for her, being a cat lover, but just have her leave him be.  Her smelling like her cats and trying to be nice to him looks to him as if she is trying to intimidate him.  Or just have him in another room when she comes over.  That way, no misunderstandings from her and he doesn't have the stress.

peachesxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it's not the smell of her other cats she might be scared of females.... You said she gets a long fine with you, your dad, and your brother... all males. If she went through some kind of trauma in the past involving a woman she might have a complex against all of them in the future... I've heard that happening with cats before in the past and have seen it stated in adoption adds where they need the adopter to be of a certain sex in a single home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tangoking

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tyvm... maybe some of both.