My Cat Hates Me I Believe

LindahAndOreo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Oreo is 5 years old. We got her from a shelter when she was 3 months old. On July 25th, 2017, we introduced a new cat to the household. His name is Snickers, and he was found out on the street under a car. He was about a month old at that time. At first, Oreo would hide under tables and beds and hiss at Snickers from afar. She'd also hiss at any humans that came by her, such as me or my mother. I was extremely close with Oreo for the 5 years I've had her. She's always been compassionate to me and slept in the same bed I did and was always next to me. This all changed when Snickers came into the house. Its over 4 months since we've gotten Snickers, and she still hisses at everybody constantly. It breaks my heart because we've been best of friends for years and years, and it comes to a sudden stop. Does anybody know what I can do to bring her back into my life as the loving, compassionate cat she used to be?

Olwince

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi LindahAndOreo,

First of all I don't think Oreo "hates" you or your family. Introducing a new cat will almost always mean some adjustment time and needs patience. Four months ago I introduced a kitten to my home with one existing adult cat. It took close to three months before the hissing and growling stopped. They are pretty good friends now. I have read for some cats this could be even longer. I found this article to be very informative.

Some questions I can think of regarding your situation specifically:

You mentioned you found Snicker as a month old kitten on the street, have you had him checked by a vet for diseases and parasites? If not, it is a good idea to have both cats checked at this time.

Are both Snicker and Oreo neutered/spayed? Cats that are not neutered or spayed can be more difficult to get along, besides there are many good reasons for spaying and neutering.

Besides hissing and hiding, is either cat being physically aggressive? The bottom line is there should not be blood. If the cats are injuring each other, they should be separated behind doors.

Have you noticed any other unusual behaviors from either cat? Such as urinating outside the litter box? Are they both eating?

It would help if both cats can have their own safe spot to hide. Where they have their own place to sleep, access to food, water and litter. You could also try Feliway Friends diffuser.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, everything I was going to say has been said! The main thing is PATIENCE. Time and patience are key to integrating a new cat or kitten into a home. And do bear in mind that Oreo is making a major adjustment. I'm going to give you a couple of more links to articles that may help, as well.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?

I would suggest starting over again, using the article that Olwince Olwince gave you, and using the techniques in the above articles to help Oreo adjust as well.