My Cat Has Wheezing Fits.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has had four wheezing fits since I have gotten him. He’s currently just under nine months old.

The first two were in quick succession when he was around ten weeks old and one was a couple of weeks ago. I assumed at the time that it was a hair ball or some sort of nervous thing. We’d just gotten him with the first two and the other one he had come inside really scared after running into a strange cat in the neighbourhood.

He had another just a second ago and their was no apparent trigger. I had just picked him up for a cuddle (he’ll only stand being picked up for ten seconds or so before wanting to be put down) and when I put him on the floor he started wheezing.

When it happens he sort of gets close to the floor and straighten his neck out while sort of coughing. I was wondering if maybe it’s dust?

I would take him straight to the vet but I’m tight on money and don’t want to take him for it to just end up being hairballs.

I’m really worried.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think feline astma is a possibility, but there are surely other possible causes too that I’m not aware of in my limited knowledge of cat health. I would really recommend taking him to the vet, as breathing issues are quite concerning. Hairballs wouldn’t cause wheezing, it’s a hacking cough-like noise followed by the production of a hairball (as long as there isn’t an obstruction preventing the cat from vomiting the hairball).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think feline astma is a possibility, but there are surely other possible causes too that I’m not aware of in my limited knowledge of cat health. I would really recommend taking him to the vet, as breathing issues are quite concerning. Hairballs wouldn’t cause wheezing, it’s a hacking cough-like noise followed by the production of a hairball (as long as there isn’t an obstruction preventing the cat from vomiting the hairball).
Thank you for replying so soon. I am going to book a vet appointment. I was thinking asthma too but the attacks didn’t seem frequent enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m going to book a vet appointment as soon as possible but I think i figured the trigger last night. We got to the bottom of a bag of litter and I think the dust must have triggered the attacks.

Can anyone suggest some dust free litter that is relatively cheap?