My cat has UTI issues and food allergies

marz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi..
I want to start making my cats food. I have taken her to 2 vets, one admittedly doesn't know what is going on and the other is a great vet and really trying to figure it out but, with all the changing of the foods it has created more problems than less. I'm fairly sure its a rice and chicken allergy, the more grain and chicken in the food the more licking and baldness there is. The underside of my Cali... she is peach fuzz bald from her ribcage to her girlparts and the inside and back of her thighs are silkier than a babies butt! She is beginning to chew and over lick the front legs now. Baths seem to help but lets face it, washing a cat is a trauma for all involved.

I'm becoming very worried and frustrated there is no professional food that addresses both food allergy and urinary issues. She can not be the first cat to have both.

From what I've been reading the urinary foods are lower in calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. I would very much like to learn how to make food for her so she can stop all the itching and licking and have the thick lustrous coat she had 4 years ago. This has been going on for a while.
Hoping you can advise. Thanks in advance,
~Marz

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi,

Two experts, one being the author of felinecrf.com don't recommend home cooked or raw for cats with urinary issues, and The Cat Site suggests taking a very careful approach in general due to the risks involved.

Raw & Home-Cooked Cat Food

All that said, can you contact a veterinary nutritionist?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Stress can also be a huge factor with cats who lick themselves bald, particularly on their tummies and inner legs and arms. AND, it also plays a large part in cats getting UTIs. Granted, it could be food, but take a look at this article and see if anything rings true:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi Marz,
That can be frustrating, but please know that most of the research on food for cats with urinary issues simply concludes that feeding a wet diet (in general, doesn't have to be urinary specific) is the best prevention of further urinary issues. Or as my dr says, "the solution for pollution is dilution!"

Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care

this study, for example was seeing if glucosamine was a food prevention, and they ended up just concluding that even though glucosamine helped, wet food was the best prevention: Oral glucosamine and the management of feline idiopathic cystitis - PubMed