My Cat Has The Coronavirus

stephmegan1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone,

So I have been trying to find as much information as possible on the coronavirus and all I seem to find is information on FIP. My cat is 8 years old, and pretty much most of her life she has suffered with diarrhea and sometimes liquid or runny stool literally just comes out of her and this isn't her fault but it stops her from being able to get cosy on the sofa just in case she 'leaks' and the only time I have seen her have a normal stool is when i first put her on a raw food diet but then she went back to having diarrhea. She has been to the vets numerous times had antibiotics, vitamin shots, stool tests twice and the first one showed she has giardia which was easily sorted with panacur. A couple weeks later I decided to get a second stool test done which covered more areas and she came back positive with the coronavirus. The vet never really gave me an answer for the diarrhea but I'm thinking maybe it is all caused from the coronavirus? and if thats the case it may never clear up? I have her on probiotics hoping it may help but it hasn't really done much. Other than this she is a happy little cat and plays and acts normal in every other aspect of her life.

If anyone has any information or any recommended food I could give her would be greatly appreciated. I have tried her on all sorts from raw food, tinned grain free, a high percentage meat content. shes more of a meat lover than a biscuit lover too. But I dont know if diet even comes into it if it is the virus causing the diarrhea. Sorry this is so long! But this is my last resort to try and help my poor little cat out. Thank you!

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

So I have been trying to find as much information as possible on the coronavirus and all I seem to find is information on FIP. My cat is 8 years old, and pretty much most of her life she has suffered with diarrhea and sometimes liquid or runny stool literally just comes out of her and this isn't her fault but it stops her from being able to get cosy on the sofa just in case she 'leaks' and the only time I have seen her have a normal stool is when i first put her on a raw food diet but then she went back to having diarrhea. She has been to the vets numerous times had antibiotics, vitamin shots, stool tests twice and the first one showed she has giardia which was easily sorted with panacur. A couple weeks later I decided to get a second stool test done which covered more areas and she came back positive with the coronavirus. The vet never really gave me an answer for the diarrhea but I'm thinking maybe it is all caused from the coronavirus? and if thats the case it may never clear up? I have her on probiotics hoping it may help but it hasn't really done much. Other than this she is a happy little cat and plays and acts normal in every other aspect of her life.

If anyone has any information or any recommended food I could give her would be greatly appreciated. I have tried her on all sorts from raw food, tinned grain free, a high percentage meat content. shes more of a meat lover than a biscuit lover too. But I dont know if diet even comes into it if it is the virus causing the diarrhea. Sorry this is so long! But this is my last resort to try and help my poor little cat out. Thank you!
Coronaviruses spread quickly among animals, including us. Fortunately FCOV, (which consists of enteric feline coronavirus (FECV) which affects the intestines, and feline infectious peritonitis virus (FIPV) which causes effusions in abdominal organs and other parts of the body) do not infect humans.

Once FIPV, a mutated form of FECV which occurs in 5-10% of cases of FECV infection enters its disease phase FIP, (feline infectious peritonitis) after the incubation period, (the period between exposure to an infection and the appearance of the first symptoms) it's still infectious to other cats, unlike what some sources say. But that's just our current, albeit poor understanding of the virus since there's not enough research into it.

FIP most commonly affects cats less than 2 years of age, but those who are 10 years or older are also at risk.

These sources can summarize it better than I can:
Feline Infectious Peritonitis Brochure
How Contagious Is Feline Infectious Peritonitis? | Catster

It sounds like your cat has a probiotic deficiency, which can be helped by feeding 2-3tsps of plain, nonfat yoghurt, or plain lactose free yoghurt, with active (live) cultures which can be mixed into her food or given separately, since cats love to lick it up on their own :)

That shouldn't be your greatest concern, this source gives good information about what to expect from treatment:
Coronavirus in Cats - Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment, Recovery, Management, Cost

Know that she will probably not develop FIP. Feline coronavirus is commonly detected in healthy and diarrheic cats and most fully recover with supportive treatment which includes fluids and nutritional support, and any medications that the vet might give. I have never experienced a cat with FIP so I don't know how long it usually takes and anything else to expect. I hope somebody can give some info on that, as well as what you fed them.

She shouldn't be dehydrated or malnourished, if she's loosing weight or you suspect she's dehydrated, (you can test this by gently tugging on the skin under his neck and over his neck in between the shoulder blades, it should move back into place in less than a half a second) then please let us know.

Good luck, wish I could help more!! :vibes::vibes::goodluck:

ineedhelpnow

I love FURBABIES!
Young Cat
Purraise
Good thinking. Cats can have allergic reactions to certain proteins, which can cause diarrhea.
Haven't thought of that. Might be the reason she has the chronic diarrhea. I would mention this to the vet as well and continue probiotics until you notice a positive change.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephmegan1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good thinking. Cats can have allergic reactions to certain proteins, which can cause diarrhea.
I have tried her on different proteins, regarding the raw food she has chicken and lamb, chicken and beef and chicken on it’s own as these are the only ones she will take to. I have been trying to keep her away for chicken has I have a feeling this could be giving her grief as I have had her on tinned turkey meat the brand is Hermanns organic from zooplus? And her still became more cow pat like sorry for the TMI! And she had some of the chicken and lamb raw meat last night and she has had an almost explosive looking stool this morning pretty much just liquid. She’s not too keen on beef on its own and she is quite a fussy little thing! So I’m trying to think of the best food to keep her on as I don’t want to keep changing her food because I know this can cause upset aswell, thank you for your help!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely take her off of poultry altogether and see how she does. Try something like rabbit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephmegan1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely take her off of poultry altogether and see how she does. Try something like rabbit.

I have just found out she has Clostridium perfringens aswell which can also be related to the diahhorea, she is all booked in to see the vet tomorrow I’m guessing for a full check up and maybe some antibiotics if needed!