My cat has suddenly decided I'm not worth his time?

mikki0818

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, I've had this cat since he was a 6w old kitten, his name is Ashes, Chubs is his nickname (he mainly goes by Chubs, due to his chubbiness), I've been good with cats, I've even helped a few friends with their cat's hatred towards them, but this cat used to LOVE me, he wouldn't leave my side, now he's just turned a year old, and has decided not to come near me, if I pick him up or approach him (even with food or treats) he will run, struggle, and scream (to which I give up if he starts any of that, if I pick him up, he rolls onto his stomach, and then will start crying, and I let him leave,) now, he's came around a little bit since he got neutered, (because he impregnated his sister, we got all cats fixed after the kittens were born), but he's not skittish, he's good with friends, family, and strangers, but will NOT come near me, I'm the main feeder of all our cats and dogs (he loves dogs)

Our cats: 4 year old male (fixed) orange tabby (Eli)

1 year old male (fixed) white tabby (Chubs)

1 year old female (fixed) calico (Lily)

8 week old kittens, (Simba, and Kovu, both are white tabbies Simba is black and white, and Kovu is orange and white)

All cats are American Short Hair cats. Except Eli is mixed with a Maine Coon

If anyone could help, PLEASE. I'd really appreciate any help, I've not deprived my attention to him, until he didn't want it, but that's to make him comfortable. I'm usually very good at helping issues at cats, as I've mentioned (like attacking due to no play, and such) 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mikki0818

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update (sorry I don't know how to edit): Ashes/Chubs has made a little progress in the past hour, because I have him in my room with me, he's gotten up and laid on my blanket, and pawed the treats I have in a bottle for him, to coax him up onto the bed. But as soon as I tried to adjust the blanket, he ran away, hissing and crying. (Some weird combination of the two), I don't know if this is anxiety, or stress? But I can't think of anything trauma wise that I would remind him of, except I do look a tad like his original owner (who locked him, the mother cat, and the other kittens in the bathroom where he was born and when we got him, he had little to no human interaction. 

anne with cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe the kittens are stressing him out?  I  had a cat years ago. She was a little kitten when I got her, and she adored me! When other kitties started joining the household, I think it just became too much for her. I remember sitting on the garden bench one day, and she came up to me with a look in her eyes...she was saying goodbye. I often wonder if she took off with a family around the corner that had a moving truck. I never saw her after that day. She just could not handle too many kitties, or possibly not being the only one.

mikki0818

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Maybe the kittens are stressing him out?  I  had a cat years ago. She was a little kitten when I got her, and she adored me! When other kitties started joining the household, I think it just became too much for her. I remember sitting on the garden bench one day, and she came up to me with a look in her eyes...she was saying goodbye. I often wonder if she took off with a family around the corner that had a moving truck. I never saw her after that day. She just could not handle too many kitties, or possibly not being the only one.
He's not around the kittens, they're in our 'cat room', I'm not sure he even notices their existence. He's used to other kitties too though, as he's had me come over with other cats' scents on me (friend's cats, and such) and not been worried, but I suppose maybe that could be it. I'll try introducing them, I'll give an update after that.

mikki0818

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I attempted to bring out a blanket that the kittens have been sleeping on, to introduce Chubs to their scent, before him actually meeting them, he got so wild he tore up the blanket, then proceeded to sit by the cat room door, and every time a kitten stuck their paw under the door, he'd attack it. I'm about to lose hope for this cat, the kitten he attacked is still acting VERY traumatized, and I'm afraid that we'll have to rehome him along with the kittens (which we already know need homes) he's calm now, but is still very upset, he's been acting like he hates me for longer then we've had the kittens, so that doesn't answer that.

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not completely sure what is causing this behavior. Have you checked for any underlying health issues that he may be hiding? If he has been checked and is completely healthy then to me he just sounds really stressed out and upset. You could try looking into feliway spray or other pheromone sprays for cats. They send out the pheromones that make cats happy and comfortable so its really good at calming down a stressed cat. This may help him relax a little. If it doesn't help then unfortunately he might be better off in another quiet home without other animals. But before you give him up I would wait until after the kittens have been re homed and see if that helps to change his behavior. Also if you cant afford or find anything like feliway spray/diffuser then at the very least try some strong catnip. Good Luck!

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There are medications they can give a cat to calm the anxiety. One of mine takes Buspar, which has worked wonders. You use the medication for a while until the behaviour changes, then take it away. The cat is left with new behaviours.

It does sound like stress, though. Just be gentle, let him approach you, and I would go heavy on those treats. With the kitten issue resolved, I think he will come around, since things were so different before.

mikki0818

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I am not completely sure what is causing this behavior. Have you checked for any underlying health issues that he may be hiding? If he has been checked and is completely healthy then to me he just sounds really stressed out and upset. You could try looking into feliway spray or other pheromone sprays for cats. They send out the pheromones that make cats happy and comfortable so its really good at calming down a stressed cat. This may help him relax a little. If it doesn't help then unfortunately he might be better off in another quiet home without other animals. But before you give him up I would wait until after the kittens have been re homed and see if that helps to change his behavior. Also if you cant afford or find anything like feliway spray/diffuser then at the very least try some strong catnip. Good Luck!
I've tried the catnip, he only became more energetic, and ran around for about an hour, but he has had all his check ups so far, he's all healthy. At this point, after he ran around, he came and laid on my lap, which was a major improvement, hopefully letting him get his stress out via catnip would help him until the kittens are rehomed.

There are medications they can give a cat to calm the anxiety. One of mine takes Buspar, which has worked wonders. You use the medication for a while until the behaviour changes, then take it away. The cat is left with new behaviours.

It does sound like stress, though. Just be gentle, let him approach you, and I would go heavy on those treats. With the kitten issue resolved, I think he will come around, since things were so different before.
The treats I've been feeding him, have brought him around a little, by him wanting more of the treats.

Will post updates later, as it's 6 am here :p