My cat has stopped eating wet food

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@DPGirlI've not found wheat gluten to be deadly to cats.  Its not the best food with it in it but I doubt its deadly. Any food in gravy has extra carbs/starches in it but I figure thats better than dry if thats all the kitty will eat.

dpgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is why my last cat developed Diabetes, from Wheat Gluten in the Iam's that I was feeding
it exclusively. Check the "MyDiabetic" Cat site for hints as to how to start a kitten out and prevent it.
Feline Diabetes is very difficult to deal with.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
"Deadly" and may cause diabetes in some cats is a bit different, in my opinion. Do you have a link to any scientific studies saying that wheat gluten is deadly? That's a really strong statement to make.

Also, this thread is a bit old.

dpgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Deadly to my cat. And if you read all the post on MyDiabeticcat.com you will see how
difficult it is to deal with, basically more than human diabetes! There is a list of foods they
recommend on there also, basically those w/o Wheat Gluten. That is why so many foods are
now advertised as "Grain-Free" and "Gluten-Free". Just like Carbs for humans. Take heed.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats are fed foods that contain carbs in some form, often wheat gluten. And only a small percentage develop diabetes. Just as all humans need carbs and only those who overdo it get obese or get diabetes. Having said that, I personally do feed my cats a grain free food.

Last edited:

Daisy Pishy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has recently gone off his regular wet food as good as it looks he eats a bowl of go cat dried per day I've tried loads of different brands and he won't touch them I've tried warming up in the microwave adding warm water etc he dosent seem unwell and is still crying for food Im going to try the Parmesan see if that does the trick it's very worrying
Story of my life, except she doesn't even look at any cheese or dairy .