My cat has soft stool and messy butt

Cclark15

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Help!! My cat has always had soft stool and a messy butt. I’ve tried so many different foods and always the same messy end result. He also seems to be a bit small. He’s not skinny where his ribs are showing but his hip bones show a bit. Has anyone had experience with this?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're feeding dry food and switch suddenly, that can cause tummy upset and diarrhea. You have to do a gradual transition to new dry food. If you're feeding canned/wet, you don't have to gradually transition usually. I would suggest a food with a single protein source and grain free. You can add plain canned pumpkin to wet food to help firm up stools or add saccharomyces boullardii to wet food to help.

My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you had him checked by your vet, has he been wormed. Changing food too often can upset their tummies. Try S boulardii to firm up his stools, you should see an improvement in a few days but if he hasn't been checked by your vet, that's the first thing I would do.

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good suggestions above, and I would be concerned about worms as well. If it is possible, take in a stool sample to your vet for testing, and ask about treating for intestinal worms either way, as they don't always show up in stool. Worms absorb nutrients and can even eat away at the intestinal lining, causing loose stool, increased appetite and little to o weight gain, even weight loss.