My cat has opened her spay incision and the vet isn't open until Monday

kitterpitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 2 year old cat had spay surgery 9 days ago (last Tuesday) and I heard from Yahoo Answers and my sister that now would be a good time to take off her e-collar and that most cats don't need one to begin with. Boy was that a mistake! she's gone and opened her incision! She seemed healed enough. Everything was dry and scabbed (she had surgical glue not stitches) and literally 2 hours after letting her go free she's gone and opened it up again!

It looks more like a clean but deep paper cut if anything. I don't see any fat or muscle. Not dirty and doesn't look infected Should I be worried?

I dabbed it with sterile gauze and filtered water and she wasn't bleeding or seemed particularly bothered by me touching it. She's more upset about the fact that the gauze was damp.

Needless to say she's back in her cone. Was tempted to put Neosporin on it but I remember the vet specifically telling me not to do that.

I can take a picture if it would help. As soon as she comes out from hiding.

I left a voicemail to my vet earlier this afternoon but they haven't gotten back to me and the clinic doesn't open until Monday.

Any suggestions on what I should do in the meantime?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitterpitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I managed to snag a picture of her incision while she slept on her side near me

What do you guys think? 9 days after surgery do you think she needs to go back?

Her skin is all bundled up in this position so it looks much tinier but when she stands it does look like a deep paper cut.

kitterpitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry for the repeated posts on here! Just wanted to add I got a much better picture by sneaking my phone under her belly as she ate.

Gah I probably sound like a crazy overprotective pet parent

I'm just so worried about her

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just so worried about her
@KitterPitter   To me, the photos don't look too bad. Like you mentioned, there is no bleeding, yellow or red colour, raised scarring.

More than likely the scab was itchy to your cat, so she licked or ripped it off. But the incision still looks together.

No, you don't sound like a crazy overprotective pet parent.
..we are all the same here when it comes to our cats. Worrying about their health goes with the territory.

I would just keep an eye on the incision, and if any oozing of yellow or white pus, bleeding, heat on the area develops, then I would take her to a vet ER clinic.

I'm thinking that it will scab over again. And the scar does not look opened, or widened from your photos.

Make sure she is eating, drinking and using her litterbox normally. (over here they do rechecks in 10-14 days, which are usually free, but I am not sure if your vet does these.)

Last edited:

kitterpitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

@KitterPitter   To me, the photos don't look too bad. Like you mentioned, there is no bleeding, yellow or red colour, raised scarring.

More than likely the scab was itchy to your cat, so she licked or ripped it off. But the incision still looks together.

..we are all the same here when it comes to our cats. Worrying about their health goes with the territory.

I would just keep an eye on the incision, and if any oozing of yellow or white pus, bleeding, heat on the area develops, then I would take her to a vet ER clinic.

I'm thinking that it will scab over again. And the scar does not look opened, or widened from your photos.

Make sure she is eating, drinking and using her litterbox normally. (over here they do rechecks in 10-14 days, which are usually free, but I am not sure if your vet does these.)
Phew that's a relief thanks! Especially since the closest 24 hour emergency vet is an 8 hour drive away yikes. Even her current vet is still an hour and a half away. The price of living in a rural county...

Good to know it doesn't look too bad. I'll definitely keep an eye out for those symptoms and luckily she just ate, drank, and peed within the last hour so she seems fine.

I might give her a little pat clean again actually considering she just used the litter box...

Would still love to know more peoples' opinions on the matter.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise

Phew that's a relief thanks! Especially since the closest 24 hour emergency vet is an 8 hour drive away yikes. Even her current vet is still an hour and a half away. The price of living in a rural county...

Good to know it doesn't look too bad. I'll definitely keep an eye out for those symptoms and luckily she just ate, drank, and peed within the last hour so she seems fine.

I might give her a little pat clean again actually considering she just used the litter box...

Hopefully, other members will chime in, when they see your thread, probably tomorrow, though, since all different time zones.

An 8 hour drive, wow...yeah, forget that idea. Maybe just email your current vet, with the photos of your cat, since that's a long drive, too.

(Ah, but living in a rural county...you have all the fresh air, fresh soil, and plenty of space. That's a bonus.)

Sounds good that your cat is eating, drinking and urinating normally. I think you're doing a great job with keeping the incision clean.

Hopefully, the incision looks even better tomorrow.

Geoffrey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I am a human doctor, not a vet, and you should check with your vet concerning any advice that I give concerning your cat.  However I agree with cat nap that the wound looks healthy without any infection.   From your photo, the open part of the wound looks only the size of the nipple in the picture and IMO it should heal on its own without any problems.    I am very happy to give you this further reassurance.

With best wishes,

Geoffrey

lifewith3cats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you can't get her in to your regular vet, take her to another one. I just posted a moment ago about my 4 month old kitten, Misha, who was spayed 5 days ago on Monday, and she has an infection, with a really high fever.

kitterpitter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE**

Checking Keiko's incision this morning, it seems to have closed up extremely well. 

I don't think she'll be needing a vet now which is great for both of us haha.

Still going to keep her cone on until at least the 2 week mark though just to be safe.