My Cat Has Ibd And I'm Wondering What Is Best To Feed Him

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leo has always had a sensitive stomach, since I found him nine years ago. He couldn't eat canned food without throwing it up, so I was feeding him Frohms Duck, which he stopped eating. The past six months he has been losing weight, is down from over seven pounds to 5 pounds. After blood tests and several exams it was determined he either has IBD or Lymphoma. Only a biopsy would tell which one, and I don't want to put him through it, so I'm going with IBD. He was given antibiotics, probiotics, and Hills d/d food in both dry and canned, which he won't eat. Its been over two months, and he still has diarrhea. Our vet has no clue what to feed him other than what she prescribed, and would like him on continuous steroids. I hate to start him on them unless he refuses to eat, which now he has gone from liking Cat Chow indoor naturals dry, to Friskies Concoctions canned. I know the canned is probably not good for him because of the heavy sauce it has, and would like to know if anyone knows of a food that would be best for him either dry or canned, that he possibly would like.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have a lot of IBD kitties on this site. You might ask in the Nutrition forum as well as here.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What works for each IBD cat differs. Sometimes diet alone won't do it, the steroids are necessary, my IBD kitty is like that. I would try a novel protein, one that kitty has never eaten before. A simple wet food, one that has very little in it but the meat, liver and necessary supplements. That will be a pate type food. Foods like Instinct from Nature's Variety or Hounds and Gatos are some and there are others.

I never tried it but some people swear by a raw or homecooked food. There is a sub-forum in the nutrition forum for raw and homecooked.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to check out the Nutrition section and see what others are doing for this problem. I have read that raw is a good alternative, but I have six other cats and three of them have to have special foods, so I haven't tried that route yet. Hes nibbling on Cat Chow Indoor Naturals, and loves Friskies Concoctions, but I'm sure the excessive sauce isn't good for him. I was told also to look for a high fiber food, will check out the Instinct in PetSmart. The vet wants to do some dental work, but won't until he gains some weight. I really don't want to start the steroids until he stops eating, he had the shot over a month ago and it didn't help with the diarrhea, and I worry about the side effects

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

leo12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Leo has been on steroids for a month and a half. At his last vet check last week the vet said his intestines no longer felt hard to the touch, and his diarrhea seemed to be gone, (as far as I could tell) I have been feeding him Hounds and Gatos chicken, which he now hates. I asked the vet if I could continue with the same brand but give him different flavors, and she said no. Does anyone have their cat who has IBS on a food that he really likes, and does your cat have to be on steroids forever? His vet makes it sound like he will have to, which worries me.