my cat has high blood sugar, need advice

hawaii bound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Took my cat to get spayed yesterday, but she was too fat for them to do it safely, so they did some blood work to see if there is a reason for her weight, every thing was normal, except her glucose level was almost 300. The vet said she can't be considered diabetic since they have no prior glucose level to go off of.

I was told to just put her on the diabedic cat food and wait a few months to see if she loses some weight, so they can try to spay her again, if she doesn't lose any, then she will have to go on insulin.

Does anyone have any advice as to which food I should try? The vet recommended hills w/d, but I've read some conflicting reports as to how well it really works, also should I be checking her at home or just wait a few months and have her rechecked?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would try one of the wet high protein, low carb foods.  http://www.catinfo.org/docs/FoodChartPublic9-22-12.pdf  is a list of most of the commercial foods with their protein, carb and fat percentages.  The dry matter percentages are the most accurate.  

When trying to help a kitty loose weight a good rule of thumb is 15 calories per pound of their ideal weight.  A low carb food will help with weight loss also.  Are you free feeding dry?   http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transitioning-free-fed-kibble-kitties-to-timed-meals  is a good article on transitioning free fed kitties to meals of wet food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hawaii bound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed 1/4-1/2 a cup of dry food twice a day, I used to free feed, but one of my other cats put on a lot of weight since he's a food hog, so for a while now I control their food and keep the bag out of their reach.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has she been drinking more water than usual? Does she hang out in front of the water bowl? This is an early sign of diabetes. The vet said one glucose level test is not enough to go by. You should have the vet re-check her glucose levels a couple of times so that there is a base reading that can be used.  Once you have a baseline, you can buy a glucometre, have it compared to the one at the vet's office (my glucometre measures a bit higher than the vets), and check the cat's glucose levels yourself. If it is diabetes, the longer she goes without treatment (insulin, if food management has not done the trick), the stronger the risk of peripheral neuropathy (loss of nerve endings in the hind legs).

Last edited:

hawaii bound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes she is obsessed with water to the point that she gets in the shower with me and drinks the water off my fingers or off the bottom of the tub. How often should the vet check her? He's just sugessted the diet change, but didn't say anything about a follow-up.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feed 1/4-1/2 a cup of dry food twice a day, I used to free feed, but one of my other cats put on a lot of weight since he's a food hog, so for a while now I control their food and keep the bag out of their reach.
Are you feeding this amount just to this ONE cat?  The one who has possible diabetes?  What's her name, BTW? 

I totally agree that she needs to start on canned food in order for her to lose weight.  I would use that food chart that Denice provided, and look for not only high protein, but lower fat and low carb foods.  And if she doesn't readily like the canned food, then maybe this article will help her transition, since she is already on timed meals   http://www.thecatsite.com/a/transit...-to-a-new-type-of-food-canned-raw-or-homemade

Diet dry cat foods do not work, even the prescription ones...at least they didn't work for my pudgy guy.  We tried for over a year and finally went to wet foods.  That did the trick

hawaii bound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No I feed all 5 cats the same amount. Zoey is the one with hyperglycemia, she is only a year old and I've had her since she was 4mo. I've fed her a controlled amount of food for as long as I've had her, so I don't know why she's overweight.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes she is obsessed with water to the point that she gets in the shower with me and drinks the water off my fingers or off the bottom of the tub. How often should the vet check her? He's just sugessted the diet change, but didn't say anything about a follow-up.
If the vet is concerned about diabetes, a history of readings should be established. The vet can't get a history from one reading. You should ask about establishing a baseline of readings (or you could do it yourself) to see if her glucose level is going down on the new diet.

What I meant was: diabetic cats need a huge amount of water in comparison to non-diabetic cats. It feels like they are drinking all the time and spending a lot of time in front of the water bowl. It is important to supply water at all times. Do not refuse water to a diabetic cat.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get a 2nd opinion.  A glucose that high the vet should hospitalize the cat or keep it for the day and do what is called a Glucose Curve, they usually will give the cat some insulin then take it's blood every few hours and check the glucose levels for a response.  I wouldn't use the vet diets as diabetics need a high protein/low carb diet.  I know a lot of people who have brought their cats levels to normal with using Fancy Feast Classics for their diabetic cats.    Here is an excellent resource: http://catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes she also has an excellent resource for getting your cat to lose weight.  As for the weight gain it really depends on the food,w hen I was feeding dry my cat who is about 11# was only eating 1/4 cup per day  My other 9# cat was eating 1 tablespoon twice per day.  It depends on the cats activity levels and how many calories are in the food you are feeding.

Last edited:

hawaii bound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I bought her the blue buffalo wilderness wet food, as I had read up on the vet suggested food and most people who used it had no luck, or their cats got worse.

This was the first time I had seen this vet, he is contracted with the local SPCA and does discount spay/neuter, so thats where I had to go. I did wonder about a second opinion.

Right now she weighs 11.5lbs and they said she needs to be down to 9lbs. Also I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but she is only a year old.

abbyntim

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat was this way when he was on a dry food diet. Once I finally got him transitioned to canned food, that behavior stopped.

I also agree you should get a second opinion. I don't know anything about treatment for diabetic cats, but I agree with the diet advice you are receiving here: Get the cat off dry, go with something high protein, moderate fat, low carb. For a diabetic cat, I'm going to suggest that low carb is super important. Use the information in the catinfo.org chart, as pet food manufacturers do not list carb percentages and it can be tricky to calculate across brands because manufacturers are not consistent with information provided. Your cat may be overweight because she's eating a diet too high in carbs.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Second opinion, yes. If you can't afford a different vet, go back to the one you have and voice your concerns about diabetes and demand more testing and information. Not treating diabetes causes all sorts of health issues (some irreversible) and is something that needs to be treated immediately.

Our vet recommended that we try a pill called glyburide to try and manage the diabetes. Glyburide helps to balance out the glucose highs and lows. We wasted six weeks trying this drug and ended up with a cat that has weakness in his hind legs because of peripheral nerve damage. Changes in food will help the glucose numbers, but IMO, with a reading of 300, the cat also needs insulin. According to my vet, acceptable readings are between 50 and 150.

hawaii bound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will be seeking a second opinion as soon as I can. Unfortunately I live in an area where people aren't cat friendly. Most people around here have outside cats and the vets that I've been to aren't to cat friendly, but if a dog walks in they're all over it, it's just frustrating.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand your frustration about finding a vet that takes cats seriously.  I did the vet hopping thing with a cat that has a chronic illness.  I ran into my share of vets that should have had a dogs only practice.  Many vets believe in the cat's have nine lives adage and they will get over things on their own.  I used to have dogs rather than cats, when I moved into an apartment I switched to cats, and I admit I thought the same thing until Patches started having his issues.  I'm not a vet though, vets should know better.

hawaii bound

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are at least 40 vets here, but so far either they're too expensive or don't care. I'm sure one of them will work, I just have to find them first.

I'm looking into getting insurance for before I get the second opinion, since she hasn't been officially diagnosed yet, I can still get her on insurance.

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know a lot of people who have brought their cats levels to normal with using Fancy Feast Classics for their diabetic cats.    Here is an excellent resource: http://catinfo.org/?link=felinediabetes she also has an excellent resource for getting your cat to lose weight.
I was able to get my diabetic kitty Grey (RIP) to normal blood sugar levels by just changing her diet.  Initially, her blood sugar rang in at 450 at the vets.  Initially the vet had me using Humulin insulin and no diet change which rocked her blood sugar back and forth wildly.  Once stabilized on Fancy Feast classics, no more insulin and her blood sugar maintained at 70-80.  It's worth a try.  I used Relion meters and strips from Walmart to check her blood sugar.

Check out www.felinediabetes.com.  They have a message board there as well.

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's a great thing that you'll be working on helping your kitty to slowly lose weight (how much does she weigh?)....but just a heads up......a blood glucose of 300 doesn't mean a cat has Diabetes.   Cats often get an elevated blood glucose level when at the vet, when stressed, like the usual struggle and fear they go through when having their blood drawn.   It's called "stress induced hyperglycemia."   To confirm diabetes you'd need to have had a urinalysis done as well to see if there's any glucose in the urine.   I've had cats for the past 25 years, including a diabetic cat.   I've had many a NON-diabetic cat whose blood sugar is 300 or a bit higher just due to the stress of being at the vet/having a needle poke.    When my boy Taco was diagnosed w/ diabetes, his glucose was over 500.

Yes, an obese cat is at greater risk of developing diabetes, though...so getting your kitty to safely lose weight is a good idea.   

Just mentioning this all because it doesn't sound like your Vet explained to you that stress can temporarily raise a cat's blood sugar level.

Canned foods generally are lower in carbs than dry food.      Here's a hand website that contains links to tables/charts that show the carb content of almost every canned and dry food under the sun......from Prescription food to non-prescription food:  http://binkyspage.tripod.com/

Here's also a good article that speaks to stress-induced hyperglycemia in cats where you can read that cats can easily have a temporary rise in blood sugar up to 400, due to stress (see excerpt from article below):

http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetes-in-cats.htm
 Cats are easily stressed by blood draws, transportation to the veterinarian, separation from their caretaker, and other actions.  Stress-induced hyperglycemia may cause serum glucose elevations of up to 300-400mg/dl and result in falsely elevated blood glucose level tests.   Renal glycosuria (glucose in the urine) may be found in felines with renal tubular disease and occasionally with stress-induced hyperglycemia.   Therefore, diagnosis of DM cannot be simply based on a blood glucose test.  Diagnosis is based on three criteria: clinical signs, fasting hyperglycemia and glycosuria.   Normal fructosamine concentrations (<350 mg/dl) may also help distinguish stress-induced hyperglycemia from DM.  
Also.....just  a random blood glucose level isn't as accurate as, say, a Fructosamine level.....the latter shows a better picture of a cat's blood sugar levels over a period of several weeks and wouldn't be impacted by the spike in blood sugar level from the stress at being at the vet.

Last edited:

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Second opinion, yes. If you can't afford a different vet, go back to the one you have and voice your concerns about diabetes and demand more testing and information. Not treating diabetes causes all sorts of health issues (some irreversible) and is something that needs to be treated immediately.

Our vet recommended that we try a pill called glyburide to try and manage the diabetes. Glyburide helps to balance out the glucose highs and lows. We wasted six weeks trying this drug and ended up with a cat that has weakness in his hind legs because of peripheral nerve damage. Changes in food will help the glucose numbers, but IMO, with a reading of 300, the cat also needs insulin. According to my vet, acceptable readings are between 50 and 150.
I agree that this lady's cat needs a second opinion but I have to respectfully disagree that her cats needs to be on insulin.   See my post further down re: stress-induced hyperglycemia.   I very much DOUBT that her cat is diabetic at all (which is exactly why she needs to see another Vet, IMO, as that's a very rash, unfounded diagnosis by the vet she saw, IMO).   I had a diabetic cat for 6 years (sadly lost him to cancer) and read everything I could get my hands on about feline diabetes, and was a very active member on the Feline Diabetes Message Boards.   A one time blood sugar reading of 300 is so so so NOT conclusive of diabetes, in any way, shape or form.   I am a registered nurse with years of experience with human diabetes (which isn't all that different in cats with respect to the basic principles).   I have had several cats over the years who had high blood sugar readings SIMPLY due to the stress of being at the vet and held down to have their blood drawn.    This is called stress-induce hyperglycemia.    In some of my cats, as high as 340....but when I got them back home and they were back in their relaxed, familiar environment, I would test their sugar myself and it was always normal..........usually around 60-70.   (Many owners of diabetic cats will learn to home-test their cats' blood sugar, using a human glucose meter......very simple to do and is much more accurate than readings done at a stressful vet clinic).  

Any vet worth his salt would KNOW that a reading of 300 does not conclude diabetes.....and that it's most likely due to stress.    The diagnosis of diabetes is based on symptoms (frequent drinking, frequent peeing, lethargy, poor appetite.......glucose being found in the urine when  a urinalysis done........and a blood sugar level much higher than a one-time reading of 300.    Most cats diagnosed w/ diabetes have a blood sugar level of 500 or more.    The most accurate test is actually a Fructosamine level.....as it gives a reading based on sort of an average of the cat's blood sugar levels over a period of 6 weeks or so.......versus just a one-time random reading.
 Cats are easily stressed by blood draws, transportation to the veterinarian, separation from their caretaker, and other actions.  Stress-induced hyperglycemia may cause serum glucose elevations of up to 300-400mg/dl and result in falsely elevated blood glucose level tests.   Renal glycosuria (glucose in the urine) may be found in felines with renal tubular disease and occasionally with stress-induced hyperglycemia.   Therefore, diagnosis of DM cannot be simply based on a blood glucose test.  Diagnosis is based on three criteria: clinical signs, fasting hyperglycemia and glycosuria.   Normal fructosamine concentrations (<350 mg/dl) may also help distinguish stress-induced hyperglycemia from DM.  
The above is an excerpt from this article:  http://www.felinediabetes.com/diabetes-in-cats.htm

the_food_lady

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Took my cat to get spayed yesterday, but she was too fat for them to do it safely, so they did some blood work to see if there is a reason for her weight, every thing was normal, except her glucose level was almost 300. The vet said she can't be considered diabetic since they have no prior glucose level to go off of.

I was told to just put her on the diabedic cat food and wait a few months to see if she loses some weight, so they can try to spay her again, if she doesn't lose any, then she will have to go on insulin.

Does anyone have any advice as to which food I should try? The vet recommended hills w/d, but I've read some conflicting reports as to how well it really works, also should I be checking her at home or just wait a few months and have her rechecked?
Also......to add to my other response to you......I would most definitely find another Vet ASAP.   Your cat weighing 11.5 lbs is surely not such a weight that spaying can't safely be done, that's crazy.    Some cats weigh more than the "ideal weight of 7-9 lbs" rule of thumb just due to their frame and overall body size.    I have 6 indoor cats.   My male is 13.4 lbs and he's not the least bit "fat".....he's long and sleek and a large/long frame.   I have one girl, she's 1.5 yrs old......was a sickly injured little kitten when I rescued her in Sept 2012.......and she's 13.5 lbs......but she's a solid long cat........(she's also Maine Coon and they do grow larger).    In all my years of having cats, most of my females were about 10.5 lbs.

I expected you to say your cats was 20 lbs or something...but 11.5 lbs is NO reason not to have her spayed.   Take her to another Vet.   And I see I misread your original post, that the vet you say didn't say she had diabetes based on that one # of 300.........but if you refer to my other recent post to you you'll see that he should have explained to you that a random # of 300 would be attributed only to the stress of being at the Vet/having bloodwork drawn....and has nothing whatsoever to do with diabetes.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was thinking that 11.5 pounds wasn't obese unless the kitty has an exceptionally small frame.  I knew that humans can have a high blood sugar reading from stress, it happened to my daughter when she was very sick.  Of course a pediatric endocrinologist did a consult and further testing, she wasn't diabetic.