My Cat Has Had Two Stillborn Kittens, But Shows No Sign Of More. Should I Be Concerned?

JustWonderin...

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat was giving birth and the first kitten was a stillborn. She gave birth to a second also being a stillborn. She has given birth two times before without problem but we aren’t sure.
Please tell if something is wrong or if I should take her to the vet.

Thanks!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!
I don't know if having stillborn kittens is an indication of problems with the mama cat, but do you have a vet you could speak with? I'll have to admit it does make me wonder if she should be spayed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JustWonderin...

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The mama is actually a cat that we had been babysitting for a while and think she might have gotten pregnant before we got her. It’s been around 60 days.

We do have a vet and we will be taking her there for extra help.

And the babies are furry. I tried performing chest compressions and cpr but nothing worked so we declared them gone.

Before we got the cat, she had two litters before and living with her son. Neither of them are spayed or neutered and lived in a car together. We think they might be inbred but we don’t know the consequences of that.

JustWonderin...

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has also been vocal so we do think she might still have some kittens. She seems to be contracting but walks around fine. I have been trying to get her to stay lying down but she keeps getting up.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would get her to the vet and have her checked out. If the kittens are inbred, this could be a cause.
Was she given to you, or are you baby sitting her? Is she not yours to spay?
I do believe getting her spayed would be the best gift you could give her.

JustWonderin...

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took the advice and took her to the vet. Two more kittens were inside but we didn’t do and ultra sound to see if they were ok..
She had one of them (in total 4) and they are all stillborn. The one that was born also didn’t have legs...
We are waiting for the fifth.
:crossfingers::crossfingers::bigeyes:

JustWonderin...

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you very much for the support. I hope we figure this out make sure it’s not to harsh for the mom.
But I do have another question;
My brother is 4 years old but every time he goes into my room, she starts hissing and swatting at him. She also had the kittens in my room. I think she might be protecting me or something, but when my brother goes near her (anywhere) she will still swat and hiss at him. Does anyone know why?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! It could be that maybe he's just a bit too young and not controlled in his movements (moving too abruptly or too fast for her comfort) or voice volume (too loud)?

Last edited:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She feels threatened. Cats react to body language and smell more than other senses. He may be moving too quickly around her or has a scent she doesn't like.
Also, if he walks into your room and tries to pet her, she may see this as an attack and not a gentle petting.
He needs to move slowly and not touch her for awhile. Maybe if he just sits on your bed and completely ignores her, she will come around and see him as friend not foe.

JustWonderin...

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi talkingpeanut talkingpeanut ! After this ordeal, she has calmed down quite a bit and has become a lot sweeter. Some sort of problem went on but the mom is perfectly fine.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's great! Would you like help finding a low cost spay clinic in your area? She can be fixed now, and it will help to ensure her happiness and health.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear this! It sounds like its possible the kittens were inbred...
As others have said spaying the momma is in her best interests! Back to back litters are hard on their bodies.