My cat has had kittens….we’re both nervous!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bee&Nala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m wondering, when do I need to do flea and worming treatments for the kittens? My vet said to worm at 3 weeks then every 2 weeks thereafter, but some pages I’ve read online say 2 weeks. I’m wondering what you guys say?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I’m wondering, when do I need to do flea and worming treatments for the kittens? My vet said to worm at 3 weeks then every 2 weeks thereafter, but some pages I’ve read online say 2 weeks. I’m wondering what you guys say?
A mild dewormer alike pyrantel they can have already at 2 weeks. But it there are no visible problems, you may calmly wait even a couple of weeks extra.

If they had at any time had fleas, you will need a more all round dewormer taking both round worms and tapeworms. If you can get Milbomax - this is mild and can be used at 3 weeks.

Some "horse-remedy" dewormers shouldnt be taken before a 5-6 weeks.

And yeah, a full deworm cure should typically be repeated at least once, often twice.

After that, it depends on. If they are inside only, the probability is high they wont never need to be dewormed again.
Mine resident boys for example - has never been dewormed. But they are from an inside only momma since generations, and themselves are inside only.

If they are allowed to go out; deworm after need.
Although you will perhaps need to deparasitate them sometimes, perhaps a dot of revolution?, whom kills off all outer parasites including ticks, and round worms.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bee&Nala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again, hoping for a little more advice.

the 5 remaining kittens are still going strong. All walking and playing and active, gaining weight well and all in all doing very good. They are all actually more or less around the same size now with none in particular lagging behind. They’ve began eating kitten food and are using their little litter tray! :D they are 5 weeks old now.

I’m actually concerned about mama though, I’ve been feeding her whenever she wants even if she wakes me to feed her. It’s kitten food she’s eating wet, with dry kitten food freshly put out and always available to her. She has started drinking the kmr since I started offering it in a dish to the babies, so shes been drinking that too now. And also helps herself to the food I’ve been putting down to start weaning the babies. But I’m noticing she has lost so much weight and she’s just looking so skinny. I’m worried. How can I help her gain weight? Should I take her to the vet or is this something that is relatively normal after having kittens?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Many nursing cats can lose weight from nursing. However, if she is eating well — as much as she wants and when she wants to — and her poops are normal, and she seems healthy otherwise, then she’s probably okay and just worn out from 5 kittens.

Once she is spayed she will likely gain her weight back. Keep us posted though and if she seems unwell, then get her seen by a vet.