My Cat Has Gone Feral; Don't Know What To Do. Please Help

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your advice -- all really helpful and I'm working with my family on a solution now.

Yes, Juno is spayed as she is from the Humane Society, so she hasn't had kittens/isn't in heat.
I just want her to be healthy and happy and I feel horrible that it's gotten to this extent.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon.

Thanks again, all.
1. Vet check
2. Vet check for other cat
3. Decide in or out?
4. In during winter out during summer?
You may choose multiple options

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calucie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all-

Thanks again for all the advice, it's been so helpful. I've been reading through everything and making my family do the same so we can work toward a solution.

A couple of days ago we picked Juno up from the neighbors' house and she has been at home ever since. It's been 2 nights so far. She's been doing good, crying a decent amount to go out but we just ignore her and she stops within like 15 minutes. I've been trying to play with her as much as possible to get all her energy out. And luckily my dad just recently went salmon fishing so we have lots of fish scraps to give to her as a treat!

We started with her just staying in my room and then reintroduced her to Maxie. They got along very well, and have been since except for last night when some play fighting escalated to hissing and scratching.

We are working on taking her to see a vet ASAP -- our old vet recently moved so now we have to find a new one.

I am so have her back home and safe, and to cuddle with her in the morning again :). Hopefully we'll be successful at reintegrating Juno into the family; I'm planning on not letting her out any time in the near future. She's started to cry again as I'm writing this...

Thanks again everyone!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's done amazingly well so far. Almost as though she really wants to be an inside cat... your inside cat with Maxie as a bff, but she feels she has to put a little bit of a fuss up out of old loyalties. You're doing so good it makes my heart sing.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!!

Well done. It is great to hear she is back home.

One thing I would mention, try not to rush them getting together. One of the most important things is to build on small positives and reinforce positive encounters. There will always be steps forward and some steps backwards but the goal is to try to make as many positive encounters as possible and try to limit any negative encounters.

You are doing the exact right thing to play as much as possible with her. And after play feed either a meal or treats. And salmon is always a wonderful treat for a cat. This builds confidence and drains some of the excess energy.

I would probably try to keep them separated for now to rebuild that positive association. And use food and scent to build positive associations. If they are in physical contact without a barrier then try to keep their interactions as positive as possible. So eating together. Or just hanging out together without a negative incident. Things like that. Even if a positive encounter only lasts 5 minutes and there are no negative encounters then it is a positive for rebuilding their relationship and trust.

GREAT job!!! I am so glad that you got her home and you are putting in the work to help protect her and give her a great life. Don't worry, you are not alone and we'll help you through this. You have the desire and you will have the knowledge so I am very confident we will have a happy ending.

Keep up the great work and we are here for you anytime.

calucie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Side note: any good cat toy recommendations? We have a collection of various toys already, but only a couple actually entertain her, especially the Cat Dancer. If anyone has a go-to favorite cat toy please let me know, trying to keep her as entertained as possible.

calucie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She is ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!!

Well done. It is great to hear she is back home.

One thing I would mention, try not to rush them getting together. One of the most important things is to build on small positives and reinforce positive encounters. There will always be steps forward and some steps backwards but the goal is to try to make as many positive encounters as possible and try to limit any negative encounters.

You are doing the exact right thing to play as much as possible with her. And after play feed either a meal or treats. And salmon is always a wonderful treat for a cat. This builds confidence and drains some of the excess energy.

I would probably try to keep them separated for now to rebuild that positive association. And use food and scent to build positive associations. If they are in physical contact without a barrier then try to keep their interactions as positive as possible. So eating together. Or just hanging out together without a negative incident. Things like that. Even if a positive encounter only lasts 5 minutes and there are no negative encounters then it is a positive for rebuilding their relationship and trust.

GREAT job!!! I am so glad that you got her home and you are putting in the work to help protect her and give her a great life. Don't worry, you are not alone and we'll help you through this. You have the desire and you will have the knowledge so I am very confident we will have a happy ending.

Keep up the great work and we are here for you anytime.
Thank you for the support!

We probably did rush into reintroducing Juno and Maxie a little, but I have been keeping them in separate rooms during the night. I'll work on building the positive associations & encounters. They haven't fought again since the one spat last night, so that's good. But they both have a tolerant yet indifferent attitude towards each other, which is great for now, but I hope someday they'll be close and actually cuddle with each other and be friends.

Thanks again for everything, I really appreciate this community I've found. You guys rock!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet gum's favorite toy is a long soft string/cord that is similar to clothesline. I have no idea where I got it. It's about four feet long and if you hold one end you can make it move like a snake. some cats enjoy hunting snakes, I think she would be one.

She also likes little balls made out of the soft silver foil from inside certain products. She doesn't care for balls made from aluminum foil, I think they are too hard. The ball shouldn't be bigger than 1/4 to 1/2 inch diameter. If you step on it you can plump it up again.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the support!

We probably did rush into reintroducing Juno and Maxie a little, but I have been keeping them in separate rooms during the night. I'll work on building the positive associations & encounters. They haven't fought again since the one spat last night, so that's good. But they both have a tolerant yet indifferent attitude towards each other, which is great for now, but I hope someday they'll be close and actually cuddle with each other and be friends.

Thanks again for everything, I really appreciate this community I've found. You guys rock!
You are very welcome.

The key really is to maximize the positive encounters and try to avoid any negative encounters. If you sense a negative encounter distract with a toy, a treat, or anything as long as you can distract safely without putting yourself or anyone else in harms way.

Tolerant is very good. Not all cats like other cats so the main thing we try to achieve is that they are happy (whether with each other or separate). I always just let them do what makes them the happiest. Some of my cats are very close and some just don't like each other. They tolerate each other. BUT they love their lives which is really the important thing. Sometimes a square peg can't fit in a round hole so it is better not to try to force it. As long as the cats are hanging out, playing, eating well, happy, etc then it is all good.

On the toy idea I always think it is how the toy is moved etc that matters more than the actual toy. So making it act like prey. Like a mouse or a bird (some cats like ground animals and some like flying). When using the toy think like a mouse or a rabbit. Halting movements can work, or slow movements around a corner then a burst of "energy". Trying to get the cat into "hunting" mode. just like they would do in the wild.

Please feel free to ask anything anytime. Happy to help.