My cat has "cement paws"

littlefluffytab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is recently having issues with getting clumping litter stuck to her back paws. And by stuck I mean in between her paw pads real good. I switched her over completely to non clumping litter (luckily she didn't seem to mind this sudden change!). But not before one of her paws got a good dose of kitty cement on it. Of course, she won't let me pick it out (some of it is in there real good) or cut it out with cuticle scissors. Its a struggle enough just to cut her claws anyway.

So my question is, does Crisco shortening really work? Any other home remedies I can use to soak her paw in that will enable me to wipe this cement gook away easily? Might be a few days until I can make it to the grocery store to pick up shortening, and I don't want her ingesting any of this if she decides to clean her paws (She is 19 and arthritic, so the grooming doesn't get done much anymore).

Thanks! :)

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think the litter should be caking on her paws if she is putting out the proper amount of urine.  Are the clumps huge that you are scooping out of the litter box? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlefluffytab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes pretty large clumps and has for a long time now (was just diagnosed with the beginning stages of CRF :( ) but hasn't had this problem of litter getting stuck to her until a week ago.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard that works but with the kidney issues I'm not sure her ingesting crisco would be good. I had this problem with a diabetic cat I have. I got a hand towel drenched in warm water to get my cats cement shoes off. I would put one arm underneath her, lift her on her hind legs and fold part of the drenched towel on the top and bottom of the foot and with your thumb on the top of the foot and index finger on the bottom work the litter out between the toes. The water softens the litter and the towel helps remove it. This was clumping litter I used this on. It won't make you a big fan with your kitty but that method I found was the least traumatizing.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Very drenched warm water towel followed by a bit of gentle picking. If it's really thick, you may have to do the drenched towel a couple of times. This also happens to my diabetic cat on occasion. The pee can be so large that it is sometimes impossible to keep feet out of it. The bottom of his feet are very hairy, which doesn't help.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up and just let mine start using wee wee pads the human kind I put in front of the litter box. She still does number 2 in the box. It's like she figured out on her own if she doesn't want cement shoes she uses the pads. Mine is very old too and it was stressful for her to keep cleaning the feet so I gave in. Initially she started missing the box I guess to keep her feet out of the way so I put a pad out to catch the bad aim, then she just started using the pad alone. It's very strange because I have other cats who used the same litter box but don't use the pad. Littlefluffytab you may just want to start doing that for you 19 year old. I am all for making sure our cats keep up good behavior but if they are old and sick I give them a pass. It isn't much of a mess with the pads and dogs get to do it so why not. Vet said it was fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

littlefluffytab

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone! Hexie - my litter girl has aim issues too lol. I will keep what you suggested in mind if it ever comes down to it!

I got impatient and tried vegetable oil on these clumps. Rubbed some on let it sit for a few mins and the kitty cement pulls out super easily! Just an FYI if this ever happens to your kitty. I'm so relieved! She will only let me do one at a time but that's better than nothing. She is so mad at me right now lol.