My Cat Has Been Puking So Much And Making A Sound Like They Do When They Have A Hair Ball Pls Help

Queenbeats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my cat has always had a sensitive tummy but recently for the last week he pukes every time he eats his dry food, but not wet food. He’s puked many times now but he is acting normal otherwise. He does this hacking thing like he has a hair ball every day for the last week and I haven’t seen him puke up anything but his dry food. He’s still eating and drinking so I don't understand. I’m probably taking him to vet tomorrow but since I am low on money I was hoping I can get some opinions on here. He has no other symptoms of sickness or anything just the very excessive puking and gaging like he has a hair ball is this cause for alarm ? He’s been trying to eat my hair so i dont know what could be wrong does anyone have any ideas and should I be super worried? Thank you for reading <3

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats pukes kibble. Just the way she is. Wet food tho isn’t much of an issue. I think sometimes the kibble is just hard on their stomach. Keep feeding him canned while he takes it. Canned is better than dry anyway.
If you think it’s a hairball try and brush him more often that will help prevent them in the future. You can also get hairball paste or use petroleum jelly and wipe it on his paw so he licks it off. That’ll get the fur ball unstuck

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When he throws up is it undigested food? Does he throw up immediately after eating, or hours after? Is there any hair in it?

Is it only happening with the dried food (just verifying)? If that is the case, stop feeding him the dry food, feed him more wet to keep the calories up, and see what happens.

Is the dry food you are feeding him a recently new one? If so, and the previous food you were using didn't make him throw up, go back to that one.

Answering the above questions might be helpful to members on this site in offering their thoughts.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Queenbeats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is throwing up right after he eats he is not chewing the dry food and the foods not new

Queenbeats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When he throws up is it undigested food? Does he throw up immediately after eating, or hours after? Is there any hair in it?

Is it only happening with the dried food (just verifying)? If that is the case, stop feeding him the dry food, feed him more wet to keep the calories up, and see what happens.

Is the dry food you are feeding him a recently new one? If so, and the previous food you were using didn't make him throw up, go back to that one.

Answering the above questions might be helpful to members on this site in offering their thoughts.
Not chewing his dry food and yes immediately after eating no the foods not new

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks. When you say he is not chewing, is he eating too fast? Could there be a dental issue? At any rate, just stop feeding him the dry and give him more wet until you can have his mouth checked out by a vet.

I would also take the suggestion that cheesycats cheesycats gave you about treating hairballs - even try some butter/margarine daily for a while. That could help make a difference, but I think there is more to it than that, given that he can eat wet food without throwing up.

Queenbeats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. When you say he is not chewing, is he eating too fast? Could there be a dental issue? At any rate, just stop feeding him the dry and give him more wet until you can have his mouth checked out by a vet.

I would also take the suggestion that cheesycats cheesycats gave you about treating hairballs - even try some butter/margarine daily for a while. That could help make a difference, but I think there is more to it than that, given that he can eat wet food without throwing up.
He could be eating too fast he is gagging and acting like he has a fur ball as well but he’s been doing it for a week. I saw him eating a piece of my hair but I got it from him. I dont know if it’s hair but I’m worried because the puking dry food. Could it be stuck in his intestinal tract ? I’m worried

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I, of course, can only guess that throwing up immediately after eating - but only the dry food - wouldn't seem to me to mean he has hair stuck in his intestinal tract. If it was clogged up that much, I would think he would also throw up the wet food as well. Is he pooping normally?

Queenbeats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I, of course, can only guess that throwing up immediately after eating - but only the dry food - wouldn't seem to me to mean he has hair stuck in his intestinal tract. If it was clogged up that much, I would think he would also throw up the wet food as well. Is he pooping normally?
His poop looks softer but not diarrhea or anything.
He eats he pukes immediately then through out the day when he’s not eating he’s gagging like he’s trying to puke something up. It it was a hair ball would it have come up already? I have no idea what this could be.. :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It could be a lot of things. If it is a hairball it might not come back up, so try to help him pass it by using butter/margarine/petroleum jelly, or go to a pet store and buy him some hairball gel. Stop feeding him the dry food as well. See if any of it makes a difference by the time you get the vet appointment. And, be sure they check out his mouth for a possible dental issue.

You can also call and ask the vet if it is possible that a cat can have hair stuck in his digestive system that would allow wet food to be eaten and digested but not dry. It's seems illogical to me, but then again I am not a vet.

If you stop the dry food and feed him one of the above noted things to help him pass the possible hairball, let us know the outcome.

Also, please let us know what happens at the vet as well!!