My Cat Has Been “Gagging or Hacking” for past 4 days

JeffSki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 10 yr old male started doing this gagging, seems to happen every few hrs during the day and a few time thru the night. Usually nothing comes up, sometimes just a clear liquid. All else is normal with him, eating, drinking and potty. Any suggestions? Here’s a link to view a video of him in action. February 8, 2024

Biomehanika

Toxoplasmosis Mind Control Slave
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor guy. I would get him in to see a vet ASAP, and make sure to show them the video. Gagging/coughing/hacking can be a symptom of so many different things, so unfortunately nobody here is going to be able to tell you what’s going on. Possibilities include but are not limited to a very persistent hairball that doesn’t want to come out, something caught in the throat, heartworm/other parasites, an infection, asthma, and even heart failure. Only a vet will be able to figure out exactly what is going on with him. Good luck and keep us updated on what you find out/how he’s doing.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a lot gagging! Until your appointment I try to brush every day even though my cats are short fur. Rarely remember. Also hairball ointment and canned for moisture would help

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JeffSki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got him into a vet this morning. They gave him a Convenia injection, which is a long lasting antibiotic. Also starting him on Prednisolone and Cerenia tablets for the next few days. Hopefully these help, and we won’t have to go back. Thanks for the advice, I’ll update next week.

BeccaCat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That’s what Tessa does when she has an asthma attack. I’m not saying your kitty has asthma, but I’d definitely ask. The prednisone may very well help if it is asthma.
Tessa needs an inhaler but maybe your kitty is just having an acute issue. So glad you took him to the vet and I hope the meds help and he feels better soon.
Awesome that you got it on video, that helps the vet so much.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi JeffSki JeffSki !

I got him into a vet this morning. They gave him a Convenia injection, which is a long lasting antibiotic. Also starting him on Prednisolone and Cerenia tablets for the next few days...
Do you remember what the Vet said about what was wrong/going on?

Mac and Cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has asthma and this is similar to what she does. It could for sure be something else with your cat, but worth asking the vet about. I would send your vet this video to see what they think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JeffSki

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Dr gave him a basic examination and observed the videos of him hacking. They came up with a plan that included bloodwork/X-rays and the meds, which would cost at least $732. I opted for the $180 plan and just try the meds.

Gunther4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat did that after eating grass, took her to the vet he found the blade got it out and gave her a treat - she was loving all over him after he got it out. Otherwise she's a total snob but at least she knows gratitude.