My Cat Has Asthma Attacks A Lot

rinnyfer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 4 y/o male cat Pumpkin was diagnosed with asthma about a year ago. He has done really well during the year and would probably have an asthma attack once every two months or so. Currently, as the weather gets nicer and there’s more pollen, he’s been having at least 2 or 3 asthma attacks a week. I have a bronchildilator for him (inhaler) where I administer two puffs to him whenever he has an attack.
Does anyone else have a cat that has asthma, especially in the summer? This is getting ridiculous now. I basically wake up every morning and have to watch him in case he starts to have an attack.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor kitty! My cats are prone to URIs and I have asthma so unscented litter and cleaners are a must. We also benefit from using herbal teas such as marshmallow root and slippery elm; my inside cat Lance also gets relief from coughing spells from having HomeoPets' Feline Nose Relief added to his water (10 drops per pint ). Speaking of water, we drink only well, filtered or bottled water as the chemical in municipal water systems exacerbate our wheezing and coughing.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with catskowme scented products can make a big difference for a cat. litter, laundry soap, cleaners, candles, air sprays, even body products we use.

Make sure you are using an unscented, dust free as possible litter. My guy cannot deal with any clay litter. You may want to try one of the grass litters? I like abound and pioneer pet. I also like litter maid walnut litter that i get from Walmart.

I have found that extra vacuuming and dusting helps, as well as weekly washing the cats beds and blankets. This time of the year i also keep all windows closed, run the air conditioning. I do open a few for the cats and fresh air at night when the pollen count is low.

Hugospal

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat is prone to have asthma in the spring. As far as we can tell, it has something to do with pollen or the weather changing. He doesn't seem to be allergic to anything else. Our case sounds not as severe as yours though. Hugo has long lasting breathing that is slightly labored but lasts up to 5 days, and some coughing here or there daily during that time. Sometimes we do short term steroids and other times he is eating, playing , and acting normally, pink gums, so the vet said it's okay to just monitor since steroids have risks too.

He was diagnosed when he was two, shortly after I adopted him. That spring he had like 3 episodes and twice was on prednisone because he was coughing a lot and actually acting sick. The biggest change was when we moved, from the country to the city. Since then he has had 1-2 attacks per season and we only had to do medication once in the last 6 years for him. He's coughed a little this season but is doing well.

Something new I've done in the past few years is filtering their water and I bought air purifiers for the house. They help with my allergies so I assume they're good for cats too. Hugo coughs more when the windows are open. I do use scented litter and air fresheners still as he has never had an asthma problem anytime other than spring, but those are things you could eliminate to see if helps if you don't know exactly what he's allergic to.