My cat has an open wound that won’t heal. Please help

Smally’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a cat and he’s had an injury since last year September, this is may now and his wound has refused to heal. It started out as a small back wound after he got in a fight with another cat, it was trying to heal when he escaped out of the house. He got into another fight and the wound that was trying to heal became fresher. I have used warm water, antiseptic, anti bacterial powder but it still won’t dry up.
It’s an open wound and he’s been scratching it and making the wound bigger. I left it opened because I found out whatever we use to bandage it sticks to his skin and it’s really horrible trying to pull it off. I feel very sad because I don’t have any money to take him to the vet at the moment, if I had, I would have. The last time something like this happened to one of my cats, I took her to the hospital and she was on admission for a week and they treated the wound and it dried up, it cost a whole lot.
I don’t have any money so please what can I do to help my cat. He’s in so much pain and it breaks my heart and makes me cry. I have clipped his nails before so he doesn’t cause more damage.
I attached an image of the last time I was able to take a picture of it, he’s been hiding under the bed for 3 days some so it’s hard to get him out and take a picture but the wound has really extended beyond the picture attached.
I don’t stay in a country where there are animal shelters or non profit organizations that tend to animals

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The pic is too dark to see anything. This wound has been going on so long, that there is likely nothing you can do if you can't get vet help to treat it properly.

You don't say what country you are in, nor do you say what resources you have researched to find some kind of help. We'd be happy to try to help with that, if possible.

You say your cat is in pain. Is he eating, drinking, peeing/pooping normally?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm very sorry that your cat has not only suffered this wound but, as you said, is in a lot of pain.😿 When any of us have financial constraints unfortunately it makes our situation more difficult. I understand you are in a country with no animal shelters or non-profits. Do you mind telling us the country you live in? The reason I asked is because it's possible there is another member on the site in the same country and can be helpful. Since you mentioned something similar happened before and the vet successfully treated the wound can you call them to ask their advice and explain your situation? A phone call is free. I really feel she needs medical treatment and perhaps the vet can work out a payment plan for you that would allow your cat to receive the proper care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Smally’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The pic is too dark to see anything. This wound has been going on so long, that there is likely nothing you can do if you can't get vet help to treat it properly.

You don't say what country you are in, nor do you say what resources you have researched to find some kind of help. We'd be happy to try to help with that, if possible.

You say your cat is in pain. Is he eating, drinking, peeing/pooping normally?

Smally’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your reply.
The lighting in the room wasn’t at best. If I can get him from under the bed, I’d take a better picture.

I live in Nigeria, I couldn’t find find any support groups within my country on facebook. I had to use open ai for assistance and research.
I felt I could get some home remedies suggestions on the forum to help alleviate his issue. An idea came to get a non stick wrap to cover the wound after cleaning and disinfecting it, then wrapping it up with a bandage, so it won’t get to stick to the bandage and he won’t be able to scratch at it. I just don’t know if that’s a good solution that’s why I need to ask for answers.

He’s eating and pooping well, he just stopped interacting with my other cats and started hiding in the most absurd places. I just know it’s the discomfort causing him to act like this

Smally’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the welcome🥺🙏🏾.
I live in Nigeria. I reached out to them and I was told to bring him to the clinic for examination. I know it’s going to cost a lot like the other time, so that’s why I’m trying to see if I can get a home made solution.

They’ve already been too kind to do a pro bono spaying procedure for a cat I rescued 2 years ago.

He’s a boy🥺 and yes he really needs medical treatment. It’s a private clinic, so the payment won’t be favorable for me because things are pretty constrained for me at the moment that’s why I’m looking for a treatment I can do from home.

The attached pictures are the before and after of my other cat who had something similar but her injury isn’t as bad as the one affecting my injured cat.
They treated her and in less than 2 weeks, she was healing fast.

Attachments

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
This is thinking outside the box, but if a vet is too expensive, is there a veterinarian university anywhere near you? Further, there are several organizations that take care of wild cats in Nigeria. Could it be they’d take pity and help?

Smally’s mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks a lot for your reply. I had to search for veterinary universities and they are all not in the state I live in. There are little to no organizations that take care of wildcats here except in zoos and conservation centers but I surprisingly found an a animal shelter online(the only animal rescue and shelter in my state). I’ve sent them and inquiry and I hope they respond. I also didn’t know there was a Nigeria spca but unfortunately I don’t think they are functioning because the website can no longer active.
Thank you for your suggestion, it led to me searching more for shelters and organizations, even though unfortunately all the animal care services I saw were monetized but I found a hopeful find and I hope they can help😩. Thank you