My Cat Has A Uri- Advice?

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My black cat, Bear, is about 2 years old and was an orphan that I adopted from a cat rescue as a kitten. He’s an indoor cat, never been outside. He has had all of his shots. He might be a carrier for FHV from his mother, but he was never tested. Maybe I didn’t wash my hands thoroughly enough after coming back from the shelter. I’m not 100% sure how he got sick.

Bear began to sneeze, a clear, bubbly mucus coming out of his nose last night. He would also shake his head and lick his nose a lot. I immediately isolated him from my other cat, knowing the symptoms of an upper respiratory infection from seeing the cats at the shelter I volunteer at.

The question is... is there any way that I can get away with not taking him to the vet? Anyone had experience with treating a URI with home remedies? How long do I isolate him? The vet is so expensive, as many of you know. I will take him if needed, but just wondering if it’s really necessary...

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There may be a very few that will clear up on their own, but the vast majority of URIs require antibiotics. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to clear up, and could even endanger your cat's life. Head on out to the vet, Darlin. It's the safest thing for Bear.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mainly looking for home remedies! I am very experienced with URIs in foster kittens, so I know he may need antibiotics. I also know when he needs to go to the vet. I’m holding out for now. I’ll go when I feel he needs it. Don’t worry- I won’t let it get bad. But his case is very mild.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are you sure it's not just allergies? It's that time of the year when seasons are changing. With the head shaking along with the sneezing, it sounds more like allergies. You might call the vet and discuss an appropriate allergy medication and proper dosing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you sure it's not just allergies? It's that time of the year when seasons are changing. With the head shaking along with the sneezing, it sounds more like allergies. You might call the vet and discuss an appropriate allergy medication and proper dosing.
It could be. I’ll look into it. He is an indoor cat, so he’s never really been super exposed to the elements, I guess I never really considered allergies. Thanks for the suggestion!