My Cat Has A Soft Catheter And Won't Leave It Alone - Any Ideas?

Canadian Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I need ideas on how to stop our cat from reaching his soft catheter while he heals.

Background - My son took his 5 year old cat to the after hours vet hospital, he had a severe urinary blockage. The hospital 'attempted' to put a catheter in to drain his bladder and punctured 3 holes in his urinary track as we find out later :( They sent him home with medication and said follow up in a week. The next day, my son took wanted our regular vet to see him and was not happy with what the hospital did and had to open him up to remove the crystals and put in a another catheter. It was at this time our vet found the damage in the urinary track from the hospital. Our vet had to operate again and had to do a perineal urethorostomy due to the damage done by the vet hospital. A soft catheter has now been put in so he could be sent home. It needs to be kept in for 2 months so he can fully heal. He was sent home with his cone of shame but was able to reach the catheter and pulled it out. He was taken back to the vet and the catheter was put in yet again - he now has a hard cone as well as a soft cone, but he is still able to reach the catheter. We are looking for any suggestions on how to keep the cat from reaching the catheter so he can't get at it but still be able to use the litter box. He's a stubborn, big boy and if he pulls it out again, we fear we will have to put him down and we really do not want to go that route yet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe a suitical, something like this?
https://www.chewy.com/suitical-recovery-suit-cats-black/dp/140902?utm_id=27654927&msclkid=4a47715c05521ee1ffe62d9e0187f70b&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping-Product Targets-Hard Goods&utm_term=4584894768385088&utm_content=Suitical

Some people take these types of suiticals and 'alter' them if needed - although the one above is supposed to allow cats to use the litter box.

Or non-adhesive wrapping tape?
Cohesive Bandage Tape Buy ON SALE | 3M Coban, Coflex, Waterproof Tape, Elastic Tape, Non Adhesive Tape

Try some calming products to see if that would help relax him? There are Feliway products, another one is Bach Rescue Remedy which are drops you can rub into a cat's ear. There are others - do an internet search for "cat calming products" to se if there are any you might want to try. Not all work on all cats, so you might have to experiment.

Also, you can brew chamomile tea bags - standard grocery store type (german, not English, no additives) and add some to his water. Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 can tell you the proper amount. This tea also has calming properties.

So sorry for your guy - sure hope you can find something to stop him from bugging it, so it gives him a chance to get better!! :crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers:

Edited: Btw, the chamomile tea can also be used to help relieve itchiness, in case that is any part of his going after the catheter.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How big is "a big boy"? If he is 11 pounds or more, I'd give up to three TABLESPOONS at a time, up to three times a day. If under 11, start with three TEASPOONS, and increase the dosage to tablespoons if needed. Just chill the tea before using. And if he'll tolerate it, administer via syringe. Some will, some won't.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Canadian Mom and welcome to the forum !

What an absolutely horrible experience!

A few thoughts.....

First, which pain meds is he on (was discharged with)?

I'm suspicious that he may be in pain at the site. After spay/neuter surgery, cats in pain will lick/gnaw/bite at the surgical site. Cats, whose pain is well managed and under control, will not.

That was invasive surgery, and there will be significant pain. Modern/current pain management in cats involves the use of more than one pain control agent, typically an opiod, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and, sometimes, an "adjunct" med. This is known as "multi-modal pain management". The idea is to target different pain pathways, that being more effective than the (old-school) single drug/pathway method. (If you're interested and/or to show your Vet: Focus On Pharmacology | Management of Chronic Pain in Cats.) This also allows for smaller quantities of each drug to be used.

Here's the 'pictogram':

The first kind of drug in the cocktail is an opiod. Buprenorphine is often used in cats and is easily administered with droplets just inside the lips. A normal side effect is sedation.

As for the second drug, you're in Canada where Metacam is licensed for cats. If he is now urinating without difficulty, perhaps your Vet would consider a low dosage of Metacam. It's easily dosed in a tiny amount of acceptable food. (this drug reduces inflammation, thereby lessening some of the pain)

One of the third type of drugs used in these 'cocktails' is gabapentin. Many members of this forum already use gabapentin as a mild sedative given before Vet visits to ensure 'smooth sailing' to and during veterinary appointments. [For you and your Vet: JAVMA - Abstract For you, the "Results" and "Conclusions" are easy reading.] It, too, is easily administered in a tiny amount of food. Dosages can be varied to optimal effect. And, speaking of sedatives.....

It seems to me that, being a "stubborn, big boy", it may well be that he would benefit from mild ongoing sedation for (at least) a short part of the next two months. If he were here, I would rather that he be a "little out-of-it" for a short period of time....than to be faced with euthanization. Gabapentin, used as the adjunct drug in that cocktail, would also serve as a sedative for a period of time, preventing his aggressive attention to the surgical sites.

I see that you've already received some suggestions for an alternative/addition to the collar - while this is priority #1, equally important is dissuading him from focusing on the site.

To sum up
  • talk to your Vet ASAP about using a drug cocktail, for both pain management and sedation - show her/him the articles I gave you - you may need to be 'directive' depending on the response you get

Once you get this settled, we'd love to see some pictures of the patient! First things first, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Canadian Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your advice. I had posted a reply but forgot to hit the POST REPLY button :( Anyway, an update - the day I made my original post, he started going downhill fast ... it ended up he now has an infection so was given a shot of antibiotic and sent home with more PLUS Metacam for the pain = YEAH! Today he is feeling much better so now we work on him leaving his catheter alone. I have purchased a suitical recovery shirt so we will see how that goes. Fingers crossed between the pain meds and the suitical, he'll be on the road to recovery :)