My cat has a lump!!!!

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! I am very concerned with my older cat, Samantha. She will be 16 in october, and she has only had one cold in her entire life. Other than being spayed and going to the vet for shots, and check ups, we havent had any problems with her.
Last night, my husband was petting her, and asked if I knew that she had a lump about halfway up her tail. I didnt know...I have never felt it before. So, I run my hand down her back, and up her tail. At first, I didnt feel it...just the normal rib-type feeling you feel when you run your hand up a cats tail. So, he found it, and I felt it. It was maybe the size of a nickel, and it was on the side of the tail, about halfway up. It almost felt like a bone protruding. Like maybe it was broken? But I dont know how it would have been broken. All of my cats are inside cats. They have never been out in their lives because there are too many dangers. I know we didnt step on it, or shut it in a door or anything. I think we would have remembered it. But thats not to say that she didnt get it caught in something. She likes to climb in cabinets, and its possible a cabinet door shut on it when she got in...she isnt getting in any that have cleaners, those are child proof...she may wind up eating something horrible.
I thought that I saw a thread here one time about a lump in a cats tail, but I can't find it. Does anyone have any idea what it may be???

leosmum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by diane8704

Hello! I am very concerned with my older cat, Samantha. She will be 16 in october, and she has only had one cold in her entire life. Other than being spayed and going to the vet for shots, and check ups, we havent had any problems with her.
Last night, my husband was petting her, and asked if I knew that she had a lump about halfway up her tail. I didnt know...I have never felt it before. So, I run my hand down her back, and up her tail. At first, I didnt feel it...just the normal rib-type feeling you feel when you run your hand up a cats tail. So, he found it, and I felt it. It was maybe the size of a nickel, and it was on the side of the tail, about halfway up. It almost felt like a bone protruding. Like maybe it was broken? But I dont know how it would have been broken. All of my cats are inside cats. They have never been out in their lives because there are too many dangers. I know we didnt step on it, or shut it in a door or anything. I think we would have remembered it. But thats not to say that she didnt get it caught in something. She likes to climb in cabinets, and its possible a cabinet door shut on it when she got in...she isnt getting in any that have cleaners, those are child proof...she may wind up eating something horrible.
I thought that I saw a thread here one time about a lump in a cats tail, but I can't find it. Does anyone have any idea what it may be???
Hi there!
Is the lump Hot? does it feel kind of mushy?
My cat midnight is an old bugger too and last night i took him into the vet because he had an abcsess. But your case might be different

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LeosMum

Hi there!
Is the lump Hot? does it feel kind of mushy?
My cat midnight is an old bugger too and last night i took him into the vet because he had an abcsess. But your case might be different
Hi, leosmum! No, its not hot...no, its not mushy...it feels like a bone, honestly. And if you arent looking for it...you dont know its there. I dont know. Maybe its been that way forever and I never noticed. I am just really concerned. But I am a worrywart. I worry over things like that.
Is your midnight alright?

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lumps are so common in cats. Abscesses, insect bites, cat bites, flea allergies, arthritis, reaction to vaccines, reaction to sutures. If the tail has a lump in it and it is not hot or soft, chance are this kitty got her tail stuck in a door, or someone stepped on her. The vet's can't really do anything about tail injuries unless they are severe then they have to do something to correct it. The tail has 109 bones in it, and it is likely she broke one or two.

Watch it carefully for the next few days and unless it gets hot, or starts draining, don't worry about it. But if it is an abscess, get her to the vet.

julya

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi diane8704,
Could be one of several things:
1) Many times small tumors can be mistaken for a broken bone, etc. For example, last weekend a client came in with a dog and claimed it had a dislocated shoulder. It turned out to be a large tumor growing...and had been growing the owner later admitted for about a year. But, don't get worried yet! Lumps are common in some geriatric cats. I recommend you take your kitty to the vet. The vet will probably aspirate it to see just what is in there. Then, depending on their in house capabilities and what the material from the lump looks like, they might need to send it out to the lab. It seems like Samantha is acting normal otherwise, so that's a good sign. Many times we send tissue samples out to the lab for testing...more often than not they come back benign(sp?...I'm having one of those days).

2) It could also be a break in her tail. Does her tail feel kinked in the area that you felt the lump? Is she tender in the area? It is possible for an indoor kitty to break his tail. My Ernie did just that...he's such a mischief maker!
I kept his tail wrapped for about a week so he wouldn't do more damage (he kept licking it). His tail healed very nicely, but some cats that break their tail will always have a little kink in the spot it fractured.

3) There is a possibilty that it is an abcess. But, it doesn't sound like it since you said it feels like bone protruding. Abcesses generally feel fluid filled and mushy like Leosmum said.

Anywho, I recommend taking him for a vet visit sometime to get it checked out.

leosmum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by diane8704

Hi, leosmum! No, its not hot...no, its not mushy...it feels like a bone, honestly. And if you arent looking for it...you dont know its there. I dont know. Maybe its been that way forever and I never noticed. I am just really concerned. But I am a worrywart. I worry over things like that.
Is your midnight alright?
well thats good. Maybe your kitty just has a broken bit in her tail or something..

Midnight is doing much better this morning.. he's had his pills and i've treated his wound some more like Dr. Allen said to do.. He's on the road to recovary but I fear this may be his last 9 lives.... He's a trooper that's for sure.
Give your kitty a kiss for me!

-Julie

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

Lumps are so common in cats. Abscesses, insect bites, cat bites, flea allergies, arthritis, reaction to vaccines, reaction to sutures. If the tail has a lump in it and it is not hot or soft, chance are this kitty got her tail stuck in a door, or someone stepped on her. The vet's can't really do anything about tail injuries unless they are severe then they have to do something to correct it. The tail has 109 bones in it, and it is likely she broke one or two.

Watch it carefully for the next few days and unless it gets hot, or starts draining, don't worry about it. But if it is an abscess, get her to the vet.
Thank you so much for your quick response. This does put my mind at ease. Its not an abscess. Its hard, like a bone, and it didnt feel hot. I will definitely watch it! Thank you for the peace of mind, I appreciate it so much!!

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Julya

Hi diane8704,
Could be one of several things:
1) Many times small tumors can be mistaken for a broken bone, etc. For example, last weekend a client came in with a dog and claimed it had a dislocated shoulder. It turned out to be a large tumor growing...and had been growing the owner later admitted for about a year. But, don't get worried yet! Lumps are common in some geriatric cats. I recommend you take your kitty to the vet. The vet will probably aspirate it to see just what is in there. Then, depending on their in house capabilities and what the material from the lump looks like, they might need to send it out to the lab. It seems like Samantha is acting normal otherwise, so that's a good sign. Many times we send tissue samples out to the lab for testing...more often than not they come back benign(sp?...I'm having one of those days).

2) It could also be a break in her tail. Does her tail feel kinked in the area that you felt the lump? Is she tender in the area? It is possible for an indoor kitty to break his tail. My Ernie did just that...he's such a mischief maker!
I kept his tail wrapped for about a week so he wouldn't do more damage (he kept licking it). His tail healed very nicely, but some cats that break their tail will always have a little kink in the spot it fractured.

3) There is a possibilty that it is an abcess. But, it doesn't sound like it since you said it feels like bone protruding. Abcesses generally feel fluid filled and mushy like Leosmum said.

Anywho, I recommend taking him for a vet visit sometime to get it checked out.
Hi Julya! Thank you for responding to my plea for any information!! It kinda feels kinked...but not a major difference. Its like a bone fracture in her tail, and it feels like the bone is out of place. She acts normal, and when I touch it, she doesnt get aggarvated or act in pain. Her tail still dancing the same. I was just concerned. I am going to watch it, and make sure it doesnt get any bigger, or change consistency, or change temperature. If it does, I will take her to the vet. If not, he can take a look at it when she goes in for her next check up.
Thank you for your response, nice to meet you.
Your Ernie sounds like my Smudge. TROUBLE follows wherever they go!!

diane8704

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LeosMum

well thats good. Maybe your kitty just has a broken bit in her tail or something..

Midnight is doing much better this morning.. he's had his pills and i've treated his wound some more like Dr. Allen said to do.. He's on the road to recovary but I fear this may be his last 9 lives.... He's a trooper that's for sure.
Give your kitty a kiss for me!

-Julie
Julie,
I am so glad to hear that Midnight is doing better. Good luck with that, and give him lots of kisses for me. And as for Samantha...I give her so many kisses anyway, that she waits for them. Smudge, my other cat, is like "Aww...Mom, no more, no more!!" Shes funny. Little Miss loves kisses...especially on her whiskers!! You take care of yourself and Ernie...and let me know how hes doing...