My Cat Has A Broken Shoulder Bone

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our cat was hit by a car (we think) a couple days ago. We took her straight to the vet and they did xray and exam. We have strong pain meds and antiinflammatory. Our kitty is sleeping most all the time except wakes up to eat and use litter. We can't afford the surgical procedure.Does anyone have advice from past experience? The vet said it will heal (however badly) on its own. This is heartbreaking. We don't want to put her down. What should we do? Thank you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We are in North Richland Hills Texas 76180. We took her to a low cost vet but she is now referring us to the surgical vet and this is after we already spent 350 on her xrays and exam and pain meds. Yes, any help we would accept and we would even consider a surrender to a rescue if they will do the surgery. We just want her out of pain. She is a gorgeous all white siamese with blue eyes and a lap cat.

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please advise on letting a bone heal without surgery. This is my moms cat and she can't afford the surgery. We love her and euthanizing is not an option. She sleeps all day with the pain meds. She only gets up to use the litter which is on the bed with her and I syringe and hand feed and water her. Thank you.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I think how well she recovers depends a lot on where the break is. One of my cats broke her thigh when she was about 6 months old. She recovered with just pain medication and being confined to a small room so she couldn't move around too much.

Does the vet think she will be able to walk even if she doesn't have the surgery?

She's a beautiful cat, I'm sorry she is going through this.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How much are you being quoted for surgery?

Would the surgeon agree to a payment plan?

Have you or your mom tried applying for a Care Credit card? It has low monthly payments.

CareCredit Application | Healthcare Financing

Can you start a Go Fund Me account?

Your cat is beautiful! I hope you are able to at least consult with the surgeon to determine a prognosis for your cat with and without surgery.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the vet gives her good chances AND you follow instructions to the letter; she has a good chance of healing well. There may be some long term mobility issues but many cats do well with time and care.

In my own experience, my boy broke his leg last year. One vet said no surgery needed, the other recommended surgery. I figured with his activity level surgery would be better. So we did it. Two months later the rod failed and broke through the bone. We had the rod removed and he was on cage rest for another month to reheal it. That time he did get a cast because he is so bad at holding still; my vet generally doesn't recommended casts as cats shake them off and he did within a week. He still has a limp and while the xrays show it healed nicely I think there is still some muscle and never problems lingering. Nothing to be done at this point but I do wish I had been more strict on the cage rest and a part of me wishes we had just done cage rest from the start instead of trying surgery. But he still seems to be getting better a bit at a time; I've noticed him standing with more weight on it lately so its just time at this point.

I would recommended getting some cosequin. It is a joint supplement but I know it has done wonders with my guy in his healing. I went on vacation for a few days and my parents forgot to give it to him while I was gone. His limp did get worse while he was off it so it is doing something.

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so very much! My baby is bedridden. but I have been off work and I haven't left her side. I am syringe feeding her water and she eats treats out of my hand. I was surprised and happy today to see her take a full bath (well the upper body at least) after I gave her several ml of pedialite. We plan to consult with a surgeon this upcoming week. We were able to get more of the pain and inflammation meds today with a good result. My baby doesn't move unless to go to the litter box, which I placed on my bed so she doesn't have to jump. She is bedridden but we are OK. All your advice and care is much appreciated. xoxoxo

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Is she also eating regular food or something your vet is recommend. Treats won't meet their nutritional needs.

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I try. She ate a little chicken. She lapped up all the gravy in a canned food. She is not eating hard food. We might have to add kitty vitamins and the supplements mentioned above as we go along. Ty for suggestions.

laura mae

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat Booberry was a stray, until he came to our deck with a broken pelvis. The vet doing the surgical consult advised letting the break heal on its own. I confined him to a bedroom for 8 weeks and eliminated everything in the room that was a temptation for jumping. He healed fine. In the case of the pelvis break, a cats' muscle structure will hold the bones in place. Fixing the break would have required careful microsurgery and a re-break because she said cat bones start healing pretty quickly. She did say that when he's older he may have issues with arthritis, but in that specific case---which is different in ways I don't know than a shoulder break---the self healing was the preferred route.