My Cat had a Urine Infection Now She has diarrhoea.

Mercurial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat was in agony last week she had a UTI, with blood in urine. Was told it's quite common in older female cats, she's 13. She was given an antibiotic injection and she seems fine. She's running around and has plenty of energy and is eating. Except now she has diarrhoea. Spoke to the vet and he advised to monitor but if she's ok within herself not to be too concerned. I've bought her some prescription dry GI food, given her a bit of Greek yoghurt for the probiotics and trying to get her to drink as much water as possible. Is there anything else I can do? If she's not better in the next week or so will take her back to the vets.

Would rice and boiled chicken be a better option?

TIA

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can give her boiled or poached chicken. I’d skip the rice.

I would also pick up some sacchromyces boulardii. It is a yeast based probiotic. The trouble with antibiotics is that they kill useful gut bacteria and probiotics with the bad stuff. Adding probiotics to an antibiotic schedule just busies up the antibiotics on colonies it shouldn’t be focusing on. But s. boulardii, being yeast and not bacteria, is not affected by antibiotics. It is also not colonizing like probiotics meaning that its effect wears off a day or two after discontinuing it. That makes it perfect to use as needed for antibiotic related diarrhea.

More info on diarrhea, what works, what doesn’t, and s. boulardii:
My Cat Has Diarrhea - What Do I Do?

Recommended s boulardii brand and product.
Vitamin Shoppe

You should also be able to find this at Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, and Whole Foods—anywhere you would find human probiotics. It doesn’t require refrigeration. But it may be sold out of the refrigerated section with the other probiotics that do require it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mercurial

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
daftcat75 thank you that's really helpful. I will definitely try to get her SB.

DreamerRose thank you!