My Cat Got Fpv

amazingdrummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Say hi to my beautiful girl. Her name is J.C and she was positive to FPV test. She's updated with all the vaccine shots, she is 100% indoor, how could she have FPV? And I was so scared hearing the Vet said it's fatal and her recovery rate was less than 20%. 7 days to live or to die...
I left her at the vet, and she was so terrified (she's a shy and sweet girl). I looked at few cats with FPV at the vet office, they were dying and looked very sad. I don't know, should I bring her home? How long should I leave her at the vet? I am hoping, but I am also scared that my girl has to go through her last few days cold and lonely.

Attachments

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She is beautiful. She looks like an adult or at least an older kitten which improves her chances. I would definitely question the diagnosis though. If she does have it and there are other cats there with it this is scary for all of us. It would mean that this virus has mutated and the vaccine isn't as effective against it because of the mutation. I hope a vet school is aware of this.

It is a serious illness but cats do survive it with aggressive supportive care. It is a matter of keeping the cat well hydrated so they can survive while the virus runs it's course.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amazingdrummer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Im questioning the test result too. Anybody can tell me other tests I should do to double check the result? I'm in doubt that the AG test was fault and the vet might misdiagnose and leaving JC there was actually putting her in danger. (U asked for blood test and the vet said it was not neccessary). Please advise

ej x

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have her retested, I worry that they start the aggressive care when is not needed and that can actually do much harm. On the other hand, I have heard (not sure thought) that if the vaccinations was done when she was too young it may have been innefective but hey if she is 100% indoors and no contact with other cats that is weird even if the vaccine was not effective. Do you know of a better clinic? Test her there and if tests positive forget about the how it could happen and just start the intensive care.

I am sending you all the good things, stay positive.