My cat goes crazy for any kind of food

abylover1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone,

One of my abysinnians (male, neutered) just goes absolutely insane for human food. Anything I eat, he has to try and eat some as well, I've caught him sneaking green beans, corn, french fries and now just recently he threw up a bunch of almonds (made me especially worried since I know almonds can be poisonous!). I do not ever give him food off my plate because I do not want it interfering with his diet.

He is on a raw diet, I rotate between chicken (chicken necks and liver) and turkey (turkey heart, turkey and turkey liver), and he gets plenty of freeze dried treats. I do not make the raw food myself, but buy it from a reputable pet store in my area. I have another aby who is just fine and couldn't care less about what I'm eating.

Any ideas on how to curve this insatiable behaviour for food? Is he just too hungry? Should I be supplementing his died with more?

This is the brand of raw I am buying: http://www.mountaindogfood.com/home.html#&panel1-1 

He eats about 100g of raw food a day (its what the packaging says is appropriate) 

Thank you for all your suggestions!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abylover1234

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
feel like I should mention that he is a little over a year old and he weighs about 9 lbs. He is a very petite framed kitty 

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hey there!

100g is about 3.5 ounces, and if that's his total intake per day I would say that for many cats that is on the low side.  Some cats will eat closer to 140g (5.0 Oz can) a day plus some dry kibble.  So you might want to offer him more, at least as an experiment and see if that satisfies him.  Hunger and appetite are two different things, and he may have a big appetite.

But if a bit more food doesn't help, then he might have a medical condition that causes him to be unusually hungry.

How old is he, and has he always been like this?

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a fellow raw feeder.  I put down 2.4-2.6 oz twice a day for each cat weighing 7, 14, and 18 lbs.  Now, thankfully the alpha is the 7 lb female so she eats what she wants and leaves.  The 2 males battle it out for the rest and neither is skinny.  I'm embarrassed to say that I don't know exactly what each one gets.  Because of nursing school, I often had to throw food down and run, and thankfully all 3 cats are fine.

Anyway, the heaviest cat searches for food nonstop.  He is NOT thin.  I always laugh that in the event of a nuclear apocalypse, 3 things will survive:  roaches, Cher, and my dear Gadget.  That cat will eat ANYTHING including plastic houseplants.  I don't know why he's so hungry and the vet gave a clean bill of health.  I think his former home was a bit sketchy and now he just focuses on food.  A vet visit is always a good idea, though.  You could be looking at hyperthyroid, diabetes, etc.