My cat gives a mean bite

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, all! I'm a first time cat owner but long time dog owner. I adopted a 6 yr old cat from a shelter back in June. He was owner surrendered so I never thought about any behavioral problems because the lady told me he's a very sweet and affectionate cat. The second day after I took him home, love bites happened. It was like a soft pinch of the skin, so I didn't think much of it. But recently, starting last month (mid-July), his bites got worse. It's gone from letting go of my skin a second later to having to reprimand him with a firm 'no' to needing to physically push him away. There have been two moments of him falling off the bed because I pushed him too hard when he refused to let go. 

It happens after cuddling & petting him (I stop after a minute 'cause I don't want to over-stimulate him) when he would lean against me purring, stand up, look at me (I look back and do the slow-blink) then ferociously attack me. There have also been some moments when I would be laying on my bed and he'd pounce on me out of the blue, grabbing onto my arm with his front paws before sinking his fangs. As well as him rubbing all over me, I return his cheek-rubbing, then he would turn around and bite me. But he has also bitten me on my ears (when I'm laying down and reading/on my phone) and neck (during the middle of the night when I'm sleeping). And the most puzzling one: suddenly coming up to me and biting me. The wounds are superficial -- a bit of blood have been drawn, and it looks like scratch marks (though it's drawn some strange and concern looks from friends & co-workers).

I've gone back a few pages, read some articles, and tried the following:
- distract with a toy

- tap his forehead/nose & say 'no'

- play 15min, twice a day

- drop him off the bed/leave the room immediately

- firmly tell him "no" even when love bites are given

This site has saved him from being fed with mainly kibble and then to cheap grocery-brand food, so I thought maybe you guys can help me figure out what's wrong and save him from being returned to the shelter.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have two biters [emoji]128570[/emoji] One was a one cat cat until she came here ( just under a year ago she's 5 and 18 pound plus fluff). I know that she is intimidating and she did love bites plus that went to far and a herding behaviour with her family behaviour is not why she was moved here but I have lots of experience with owning cats and stopped the herding and allow her to chew my hair only for a minute until I stop her. Granted she never bit anyone sleeping and I let her sleep on my kids beds, it worse when she feels ingnored.

I feel like it was only my frim voices and some claps that dtopped it she is not allowed to chew anyone else and so stop trying and got the they aren't going to take my bullying.
Plus she had other cat s to politic with[emoji]128571[/emoji][emoji]128545[/emoji][emoji]128527[/emoji]The second has been with us since he was four weeks and he had a lovely gentle "big brother"cat who was not a full year when he came. He always played roughly but he has very big teeth and strong jaw and a snake like strike. He is 12 pounds.
We have learned not to pet him much and only around the head and neck and try to show no fear!
Three of us have been to the doc for antibiotics and tetanus shots[emoji]128553[/emoji]
We love him very much he was very small when we brought him home and he is our button cat having had surgery to save him after eating one at 9 months.
That said both of these cats spend a great deal of time outside. And handle with care warnings .
Do think another cat would help? Hope you can lock him out of your room at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I can't lock him out at night and the possibility of getting another cat is zero. I can handle only one cat for now because I've got a small dog too. I've tried the clapping too, no luck. My friend advised me blowing onto their face...that wouldn't lead to traumatization, would it?

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have heard here and other places that cats do better with positive reinforcement but I can't see how that eould work in this situation. ( a treart for not biting lol) Blowing seems mild enough, I have used cookie tins with beans or popcorn inside as a shakers. And water spray mstly for hurting each other or getting on the table at supper... the cats still like me fine .
Do your dog and cat get along?
Does he bite you in your sleep often?
Where does he chose to spend the night.

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was literally just been bitten again, which made me look at my email and see that you responded. Yes, I've heard positive reinforcement is better than negative but, like you, I feel like it'd just encourage him even more. They are both wary of each other. My dog is quite submissive so it's my cat who normally throws the first punch (more like a swipe at my dog) which makes him growl and makes my cat hide in my closet. He bites me at night, when I'm sleeping, about twice a week. And as for sleeping arrangement, he moves around between my windowsill and closet but he mostly settles near my head (which is why he has easy access to my neck). 

I'd hate to return him to the shelter, but at this point I'm fed up with being bitten.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert at all I have heard that hiding in and under things only make cats more stressed and the less confident they feel the worse they behave. Would you be able to cat a tall cat tree or shelves , can cat get to the top of the fridge.
Lots of folks recommend felaway plugin but you can just get a spray bottle and spray your beding at night.
Is the dog separate at night if so could switch them.
Sorry I am mot more helpful
Please make sure to see a doctor if they break more than the surface.

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A cat tree is possible but not a multi-layered ones since I feel that the cost will not outweigh the use because there's only one cat. Do you have any recommendations? I've never heard of feliway plugin, so I'll have to research that. And yes, the dog is actually mostly separate. He mostly sleeps in the other room while I have the cat in my room.Yes, I'll definitely do that. So far it's been mostly scratch-like bites so I'm a bit thankful he hasn't really punctured my skin. You've been helpful, really :))

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't my dad always made his cat post or trees . And we don't have one had I read about the hiding thing I would of my spouse had in door cats when I met him would of been useful because on was aggressive and on shy. I know that it is not safe or always possible to have outdoor access cats but I have always So they have space to get away. Mind you we have reached a point where two of my cats are pissed off because another had kittens it is one thing if they are in a bedroom bit they are 10 weeks and everywhere!

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow. That sounds difficult to handle. I can't imagine mediating between two pissed off cats. My cat definitely doesn't have access outdoor, though he could stare outside all day if he wants to. Speaking of my cat, he gave me another bite and wouldn't let go. I've got three long scratches on my right arm now /sigh

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds alot like play aggression, I'd highly recommend way more play time. Play him out til he's panting and make sure it's with toys only never your hands. Wands toys are great as it helps him hunt.  If he bites you, do NOT pull away, that will cause him to bite harder as he is biting you in a hunter mode so moving your hand looks like prey to him and he will cling on.  Tapping him on the nose will not help, it can cause him to end up fearing you or make him more aggressive. I'd highly recommend hour long play times, especially before bed and then after that some food. If he continues to bite you at night I would recommend having him not in your room. But it all sounds like play aggression to me. I would try stuff like feliway it might help. If it seems very random and his hair stands up on his tail, it might be a chemical imbalance and he might need medication.  I would highly recommend reading the book, Starting from Scratch by Pam johnson.

howmany

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
cataholic07 cataholic07 has good suggestions did you try the feliway spray when we talked about it. And we're you able to switch the dog and cats sleeping rooms or just put the cat out ( say with some high place to get away from the dog,
Actually the mad cats ( the weather is good ) have basically moved to the wood shed for now. Hopefully the kittens we are keeping will of calmed down bu the time it is colder [emoji]128578[/emoji]

ittybittyskitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if anyone has said this yet - but try loudly "squeaking" when your cat bites. If it's play aggression, this is an indicator to them that they are being too rough - littermates do it. I foster kittens and it has worked with all so far, plus my resident cats. :) Best of luck~

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It sounds alot like play aggression, I'd highly recommend way more play time. Play him out til he's panting and make sure it's with toys only never your hands. Wands toys are great as it helps him hunt.  If he bites you, do NOT pull away, that will cause him to bite harder as he is biting you in a hunter mode so moving your hand looks like prey to him and he will cling on.  Tapping him on the nose will not help, it can cause him to end up fearing you or make him more aggressive. I'd highly recommend hour long play times, especially before bed and then after that some food. If he continues to bite you at night I would recommend having him not in your room. But it all sounds like play aggression to me. I would try stuff like feliway it might help. If it seems very random and his hair stands up on his tail, it might be a chemical imbalance and he might need medication.  I would highly recommend reading the book, Starting from Scratch by Pam johnson.
The thing is, he can't stand more than 10-15min of play time. He loves wand toys so that's the main toy I use to play with him until he leaves/ignores me. No hair standing on his tail, though sometimes just a bit on his back for about a second. I still haven't tried feliway since I'm still saving up for it. The bites at night have lessened, and I found saying "uh-huh" firmly and loudly works a third of the time. I'll check out that book.
@Cataholic07 has good suggestions did you try the feliway spray when we talked about it. And we're you able to switch the dog and cats sleeping rooms or just put the cat out ( say with some high place to get away from the dog,
Actually the mad cats ( the weather is good ) have basically moved to the wood shed for now. Hopefully the kittens we are keeping will of calmed down bu the time it is colder [emoji]128578[/emoji]
I haven't because it's a bit expensive for me. The dog sleep outs of the room now. I tried putting the cat out too (not at the same time of course) but he meows to come in. Hope your kittens will ease up too.

I don't know if anyone has said this yet - but try loudly "squeaking" when your cat bites. If it's play aggression, this is an indicator to them that they are being too rough - littermates do it. I foster kittens and it has worked with all so far, plus my resident cats. :) Best of luck~
Squeaking? I haven't tried that...did try yelping and saying "ouch" really loud/high-pitch. So I'll try that. Thanks.

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
get a water pistol or use a clean sprayer that has never been used with poisonous chemicals and spray lightly when he starts to bite.  you can also say firmly "No!", but no yelling.  my ex mother in law adopted a cat a while back who did this; she had been abused and never got over it.  my exMIL finally gave the cat away to someone who had dealt with other cats with issues.

btw, seems like i read about a lot of cats who were surrendered to shelters or what have you, and the folks there always tell prospective owners there were no issues.  it doesn't seem to be true a lot of the time. 

cheshirebite

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat lady at my local shelter (where I actually adopted my cat from) has advised me the same you said @basschick  I felt awful the first two times I had to do it, but since then my cat hasn't bitten me at all. That combined with the squeaking has really helped.