My cat gets bored easily

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there,

I adopted two cats a little over a year ago after my 18 year old kitty passed away. These two kitties are around 6-8 years old. Both have very different personalities from each other. The Maine Coon, who now goes by Spock, is a super lap cat. He is content with anything really haha. He is extremely low energy and plays with his mousies and toys for a few minutes a day and then promptly goes to sleep haha. Probably the most chill cat I have ever been around. The other kitty is a tortie who now goes by Luna. She is very specific with what she wants haha. She's gone through so many toys. She used to love her circle ball toy that would light up. She used to love her feather wand toy. She used to love her mousies. I've tried taking her on walks but she gets terrified. I'm running out of ideas on how to get her to run out her energy. She starts chewing on things around our house when she gets bored and restless. We'll find her chew marks on the most random things. She's chewed on all of the xmas gift tags under the tree at this point haha... when we try to play with her she plays for a few minutes and then walks away. Any help would be appreciated!

Stephanie

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby is a lot older (15+) but she has exhausted her interest in all the toys we can give her, new ones last for one
round, and she is done. The only thing that works for her is tissue paper, crumpled a bit so she can hear the noise when she walks/lays on it. She has one 'station' of tissue paper she lays on/rolls around on constantly. And, I just recently got a cardboard box, only about 4 inches high, and loaded it with tissue paper. She spends time in it every day - it is not exactly playing, but it does occupy some of her time. I just 'fluff up' the paper after she has flattened it out, and then replace it once she has made a total mess of it.

Since your cats are bit younger, maybe you could use things that Feeby used to play with a few years back - that now bore her to tears. Used sewing thread spools, big plastic bottle top caps, eye contact boxes, plastic collar pieces that come out of my husband's new shirts, etc. These used to work, but they were admittedly 'one-time' entertainment. They were good for her, because no cost, and could be tossed when she was done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie junca

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I actually found something that worked thanks to my mother in law. Catnip! I had never tried it before because my previous kitty didn't have a reaction to it. But, my mother in law gave the kitties a bag of catnip for Christmas so we sprinkled a bit out for them last night and they were going crazy! Even this morning they were so energized it was amazing! Now we now 😁

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
And make lots of shelves for them to climb on around the house. :)

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Do you rotate through toys at all? My cat is the same way, he loves a toy and then is done with it after a few days. I’ve found hiding a toy for a week or two and then bringing it out renews his interest somewhat.

Also, the only toy he never ever gets bored of is the cat dancer. They’re only $3 if you haven’t tried one yet.