My Cat From Hell?

tabbysia

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know if the show got picked up for another season or when it is coming back? I really miss that show! Jackson Galaxy is so much smarter than me when it comes to cats!

thelifeofzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
From his website "Hey Austin!  Jackson has been filming new episodes of My Cat From Hell in your fair city, and he’ll be back in November — this time, to talk with you!"

Looking forward to it. =D

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Does anyone know if the show got picked up for another season or when it is coming back? I really miss that show! Jackson Galaxy is so much smarter than me when it comes to cats!
I know I LOVE Jackson and I'm so glad to hear it's coming back for anther season!!!

Have you read his book? I did and I really, really liked it. Granted, it's more of his life story than it is just about cats, but I think it's super interesting to read how he got to where he is (though fair warning he talks a lot about drug abuse so it's not all rainbows and sunshine). The book is interlaced with tips and, while some of them were pretty basic he does get into some of his deeper theories towards the end. I have put a lot of what he says to use, especially his idea of a challenge line and the 'eat, play, love' technique. Overall I think he is genius! 

Cant wait to learn more from him! 

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lol, I love his show. I even got my husband into it.

We have a naughty dog, so we also watch the dog whisperer (Cesar) and it's great b/c I actually get to try the things out on our Boxer.

It's funny b/c when we watch Jackson's show, we get all bummed out that we don't have any cat's from hell and can't play along. I guess I can consider myself lucky, but his show is very interesting and I'm sure it teaches me a lot, even if I can't quite use all the techniques on our current felines.

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's funny b/c when we watch Jackson's show, we get all bummed out that we don't have any cat's from hell and can't play along. I guess I can consider myself lucky, but his show is very interesting and I'm sure it teaches me a lot, even if I can't quite use all the techniques on our current felines.
I totally know what you mean! That said, he does have a lot of techniques that can be used on just about any cat. The two that I frequently practice are "eat, play, love" and "the challenge line."

Eat, play, love is the idea of how you can best interact with your cats to keep them fully satisfied and help resolve behavioral issues OR prevent them from beginning. Technically it's out of order, but the idea is that you engage them in a good game of play, ideally using a wand toy as 'prey.' Throw some couch cushions or pillows on the floor to make little spots for them to hid behind and stalk from, and move the end of the wand toy around like it is different animals (lots of up and down for a bird, jerking around on the floor for a rabbit, ect). Be sure to let your kitty win often and start the game over again!

When they make their final kill, reward them with a really delicious meal so that they are reaping the benefits of their hard-earned hunting techniques. They don't know that what they are eating is canned food and not the bird they just caught! As they eat (and afterward) give them lots of praise and affection time. Because they just burned off so much energy this is when they will be most receptive to affection, and they will start to associate you with all the goodness of hunting. This is an especially great game for shy cats!

The challenge line is something that is unique to each individual cat, though the idea is figuring out what scares yours in particular and making small steps to help them overcome it. For example, if your cat is afraid of the vacuum, you would slowly introduce them to it. Perhaps you start by vacuuming in another room. Once they are comfortable with that, try in the same room but with them at a safe distance, ect. The idea is to figure out what their threshold is, slowly take them to it and over it, and then take them over the new threshold until they aren't fearful anymore. 

Personally, I have found both techniques to be extremely beneficial for both my cats. No, they aren't cats from Hell by any means, but they each have their own issues that they need to work through. And, just because they aren't terrorists doesn't mean they can't still continue to learn and grow! 

If you really want to get the most from the show and can't apply it in your own life, bring what you have learned here to TCS! There are plenty of users, especially in the behavior section, who would love to hear some of his techniques explained in further detail! 

jazzygemmy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I totally know what you mean! That said, he does have a lot of techniques that can be used on just about any cat. The two that I frequently practice are "eat, play, love" and "the challenge line."

Eat, play, love is the idea of how you can best interact with your cats to keep them fully satisfied and help resolve behavioral issues OR prevent them from beginning. Technically it's out of order, but the idea is that you engage them in a good game of play, ideally using a wand toy as 'prey.' Throw some couch cushions or pillows on the floor to make little spots for them to hid behind and stalk from, and move the end of the wand toy around like it is different animals (lots of up and down for a bird, jerking around on the floor for a rabbit, ect). Be sure to let your kitty win often and start the game over again!

When they make their final kill, reward them with a really delicious meal so that they are reaping the benefits of their hard-earned hunting techniques. They don't know that what they are eating is canned food and not the bird they just caught! As they eat (and afterward) give them lots of praise and affection time. Because they just burned off so much energy this is when they will be most receptive to affection, and they will start to associate you with all the goodness of hunting. This is an especially great game for shy cats!

The challenge line is something that is unique to each individual cat, though the idea is figuring out what scares yours in particular and making small steps to help them overcome it. For example, if your cat is afraid of the vacuum, you would slowly introduce them to it. Perhaps you start by vacuuming in another room. Once they are comfortable with that, try in the same room but with them at a safe distance, ect. The idea is to figure out what their threshold is, slowly take them to it and over it, and then take them over the new threshold until they aren't fearful anymore.

Personally, I have found both techniques to be extremely beneficial for both my cats. No, they aren't cats from Hell by any means, but they each have their own issues that they need to work through. And, just because they aren't terrorists doesn't mean they can't still continue to learn and grow!

If you really want to get the most from the show and can't apply it in your own life, bring what you have learned here to TCS! There are plenty of users, especially in the behavior section, who would love to hear some of his techniques explained in further detail!
You know, I am really glad you brought this up! I remember him explaining eat, play, love and I have never tried it on our kitties. I am always so focused on him using the techniques on cats with "issues." I'm sure my cats would love this and honestly, I don't whip out the wand toy as much as I should. Oh, that's another thing...I did learn on his show that those simple feather wand toys are cat's favorites! I used to have wands with all the silly crinkly, colorful crap all over them and they wouldn't hold my cat's interest. When I got them a plain, simple feather wand that mimics a bird flying they went BONKERS for it!

I guess I did use his techniques every time I introduced a new cat into the household (so, I've used it twice), where I feed them by the doors, play with them all together and lots of treats together to help them all adjust faster. It did work, as they associated each other with good things. I just never did the play first and then food time to associate the hunt with a "kill."

This is what I love about this site! You can always learn something new and get different perspectives from each member :-)