My cat doesn't seem to want to be enriched

Debbborra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I inherited my cat from my uncle when he passed away. He got her from a rescue when she was a kitten. She loved him, but was always a pretty antisocial cat. She also, since she was a kitten had no desire to play. If you dangle a string near her she'll give you a dirty look at walk away. If you throw a toy she will ignore you and it entirely, as if to say, if you can't keep track of your own stuff, she's certainly not going to do it for you. I've tried automated toys that roll. She watches them with mild interest from a distance. She will not pursue. The balls that go around in a track. Those are completely invisible, even if sprayed with cat nip. Toys where feathers stick out and retract are not interesting. We had a brief honeymoon period with a laser toy, but her interest waned after a couple of weeks.

She seems happy enough, but I feel like I should be doing more for her. I just don't know what else to do.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have an 18+ yo cat, who for the most part has been a NON play baby all of her life. Her one and only long-standing toy was a shoestring that my husband would dangle over her and even then, she chose to lay on her back to play with it. She will still occasionally go after that shoestring, but that is about it. She tired of a laser pretty quickly, and really hasn't ever paid much attention to other types of toys - regardless of what they are.

She prefers things like wrapping paper to lay on - even newspapers will work. She has liked laying in boxes I have received from deliveries, but they need to be changed out often as she tires of them quickly. She also likes curled cloth ribbons to chew on and play a bit with. I don't use other materials for the ribbons because she used to try to eat them. These types of things aren't actually play toys, but they must be some sort of enrichment for her. Maybe some things like this will work better for your cat.

When Feeby was younger, she would sometimes go after an empty paper towel roll, an empty thread spool, or a bottle lid, and sometimes even the bottle itself. So, you might try unconventional toys that you aren't wasting money on and can easily throw away if she won't bother with them.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking this girl! I don’t know how old your girl is or how long she has lived with you but it just may still be too soon for her to relax and feel like playing. And when it comes to wand type play, many adult cats lose interest as they get older. But give up, there may be something that she finds interesting and she may play at night or when you aren’t watching. Toys I would set out are rubber balls, cat springs, mice and crinkle balls. I would also try leaving out a cardboard box or a sheet of tissue paper. You can try buying some shot glass side plastic cups and hiding treats under them or get a food puzzle that requires her to push a lever to get a treat.

She may also really enjoy watching birds so try setting a feeder or a water dish near a window.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some cats just don't play. It's like how some kids prefer to read a book while other kids are running around the yard playing. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to play. Some cats prefer to look out of windows watching the world go by or lounging in a box instead of active play.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Debbborra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long has it been since your uncle passed away? Did he play with her?
She might still be grieving. Or, if he didn’t play with her, it could just be her chill personality.
Two years in december, but she was like this since she was a kitten.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats can see through all these gizmos and just go: “meh.” Age can definitely play a role. Others just prefer steady comradeliness and good conversation. Mine generally has never liked toys, but until recently was indoor/outdoor, so enjoyed a taste of the wild. I’d chalk it down to personality.

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy Mojo likes to play with a crumpled up piece of paper. He'll go nuts batting it around and chasing it. Sometimes we play with wand toys. Of course he'll have nothing to do with the $8 catnip pickle I got him. :lol: For the most part he likes to sit or sleep on his window ledge and watch the world happen outside. Mojo is my 1st strictly indoor cat as all my previous cats were mostly outdoor and had lots to keep them entertained outdoors. I think some cats like to play and others are just happy to do their own thing.