My cat doesn't play or socialize

negara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi

My cat Charlie is a 4 year old white Persian. I've had him for a week. His original owners were moving across borders and coudn't take him with.

I have several issues to deal with which I have to write about under different categories but as for behavior... He is very bored and sleeps all the time. I have a book that says 16 hours a day is normal but he sleeps like 22 hours a day.

He is past the scared and hidden phase and does walk around us and rub himself to our ankles and let us pet him but absolutely does nothing other than sleeping and eating a bit.

I have tried balls , colorful balls, ribbons , balloons , rattles , handmade toys with treats in them. Nothing excites him. I sometimes wake him up gently during the day so he sleeps at night but then I feel guilty cause he has nothing to do.

I leave the TV on for him on colorful cheery programs.. nothing works. I know he must be depressed and miss his old home but how can I excited him and make him feel happy?

By the way I'm between jobs right now so I have time to spend with him and I live in a apartment so there's no taking him out. He's never been outside in his original home too except for the scary trip to the vet's.

Thanks for the help.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he is an adult Persian :lol3:. Persians are kind of known for being low-energy and mellow. Plus he's still settling in. I wouldn't expect to see normal behavior for at least a month. It's good he's bonding with you already. Does he like being combed? That can be good for bonding and of course Persians need to be combed very frequently anyway.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about string/feathers on a stick toys? Most cats love those. Shoelaces also work wonders.
Does he have shelves or cat trees to jump up on? A window to watch birds from? They might get him more into the groove.

Was he overweight when you got him? That could be another reason for his laziness. :nod:

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You might enjoy this article from my favorite cat blog about cat personality types.  Persians often fit into what she calls the Gamma personality type.  Reading that section may give you some insight.

http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/cat-types

But even with a mellow personality I'd be concerned about a cat sleeping 22 hours a day.  I'd take him to a vet for a thorough check up and be sure to tell the vet how many hours per day he sleeps.  Good luck with him.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A week isn't very long, he's probably still settling in. Did his old owners give you any of his belongings to make him feel at home? Or at least give you information of his usual behaviour and favoured toys?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

negara

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for writing.Yes they gave me all his belongings. I have towels and stuff that smell like home for him which he cuddles to. His old basket, brush etc. He even rubs himself on the plastic bag his old owner brought his stuff in , so I've left it lying around.

The problem is he didn't have one toy. His old owners were a family of parents and one 9 year old and one toddler and they had him since birth. I have a feeling that they were neglecting him and I truly think he didn't have a toy. Because he shows no reactions to anything a cat would.

Anyhow , my biggest accomplishment is that he was interested in a baloon and clawed it once or twice and well , a ballon being a baloon, that didn't last too long.I truly think he doesn't know how to play. Sadly,  I think the children just used to chase him around and he used to hide.

I hope some quialty time with him will change that.

amcm74

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an adopted kitty that doesn't play. He will push his catnip ball off the desk accidently sometimes. That is as close as it comes to play where he is concerned. If you want to see my cat run open a can of cat food. =(. You will probably have to be very strict with his diet. Keep trying different toys and motivating him. I hope someone with more insight can help. I'd love to get my lazy boy moving too.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure he's just adjusting to life still.  Some kitties just aren't much for playing though, I've had a couple that prefer to lounge