My Cat Doesn't cover Her poop or pee

pinkpandavt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello,

My cat insists on not covering her poop or pee and yet she digs furiously as the litter box liner (super annoying).

What do I do to get her to use the litter to cover her crap and not the dang liner????

I have just about had enough of her. Lol the nincompoop.

donutte

Professional cat sitter extraordinaire!
Top Cat
Purraise
Not all kitties have the same litter habits. I have one cat that doesn't bury anything at all. I have another that will bury her poop (and others' poop if she sees it) but not her pee. I don't use liners because they are more hassle than they are worth. Most of my others bury their own poop/pee but won't do that with anyone else's.

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you made sure there is enough litter in there? My kitten didn't bury his poop at all and I just thought it was something I would have to deal with but one time I accidentally tipped the litter bag over too much and a ton of litter came out - ~3-4inches. He then buried his poops perfectly after that. Worth a try to add more litter in there. He used to always scratch at the bottom of the litter box too, but now with enough litter, he can't reach it, so that might help your liner situation too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pinkpandavt

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We always use a whole box of litter so there is always at least 4 inches in there at all times. And she doesn't scratch the bottom of the pan, the liner, she scratches the sides and pulls the bag off the rim of the box even tho it is clasped down....idk what's wrong with her hahahha.

wafflesnomnom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess since there's enough litter in there it's worth a try to put less in it and see if that makes a difference?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she may not like the liner. Can you try not using it?

awesomepawsome

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats don't bury their waste.  It's normal.  I agree the liners are more trouble than they are worth.  If it bothers you this much, have you thought about one of those self cleaning boxes that goes through after the cat gets out and sifts through and cleans itself?  They are pretty expensive but it may be your only alternative since this is bugging you so much. 

sonyas mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm also having problems with my 5 month old kitten to cover her business. She paws at my walls instead how do I get her to actually cover her business

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
If the cat has arthritis they won't cover their business. My old girl Floey rarely covers. She scratches at the side of box. I don't let it bother me anymore. She's almost 17 so I think its fine. If she pees outside she doesn't cover it either. Poo she will outside but not inside.

I've heard that if they have knee pain then they have trouble bending the joint.

The other thing is not covering is also a way to show dominance. I think for mine Its more of a pain issue. She has her special low side baby cat box that she prefers over a high sided box. Go figure!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats bury their waste to 'hide' their presence from predators. Some cats are super confident and don't feel threatened, so they don't bury their waste. It's a matter of personality and how much of this instinct they have left. There is nothing 'abnormal' for your cat to not participate in this behavior. I have two cats that bury and one that doesn't and never has. The other two do bury the thirds sometimes.I wouldn't worry about it, I am always happy they use the box!