My cat doesn't cover her feces...

mararules

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I have two cats, a 6 year old and a 2 year old.
I use one litter box for both because I've tried two boxes and they ended up using either one, so I decided to get rid of one for space and convenience reasons.

My problem is the younger cat has never ever covered her feces after using the kitty litter, while the older one always has (she even covers the other cat's feces sometimes!)

I know the "king of the cat pack" generally leaves his feces uncovered to have the smell reach the farthest corners of its territory and so that everybody knows he rules, but it is definitely not the case with my girls. For starters they are both female, and second, the older cat has always ruled and the young one knows it.

Is there some reason and, better yet, some solution for this? It is not only bad odor-wise, but it also looks terrible and I end up having to clean the box every single time she uses it, even several times a day!!!

Thanks for your advise.
Regards,
Mara from Argentina

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Oliver doesnt always cover his either and he's an only cat... he has a covered box, so the smell isn't usually an issue and when I go to clean the box, I just push some litter on top of the uncovered pile with the scoop and let it absorb into it a little so it's scoopable... I dont really think its any kind of medical-type problem or anything... but ur cat's not the only one that doesnt always cover!

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can either continue scooping all the time, or get a covered box. Chances are the momcat wasn't in the picture long enough to show her kitten how to use the litter pan.

sunflowergirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine has never covered his poop either. We've tried everything and now given up. We just can't figure him out. Cairo actually spends a good couple of minutes pawing at the sides inside the box as though he knows he should be doing something else in there... he makes a big hoohah about it but doesn't cover a thing. He's weird.

We've tried scooping all the time, bringing him back to the box and making him watch us cover it with the scoop and nothing works. A covered litterbox helps a lot, as well as that scented super absorbent clumping litter, even if it isn't covered by the cat it helps with some of the smell at least.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Originally Posted by SunflowerGirl

Mine has never covered his poop either. Cairo actually spends a good couple of minutes pawing at the sides inside the box as though he knows he should be doing something else in there... he makes a big hoohah about it but doesn't cover a thing. He's weird.

Yes, it isnt unusual they dont know how to do, digging at the side or even "digging" outside the box... I have heard of several such.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be glad he does go in the box! We have a 10 yr old male who had anal gland problems at a young age (couple of yrs) and since then he has not used the box, but suddenly goes running madly around the house stopping only to let go of some, then continues til he's done and we have to clean up afterward. Luckily he seems to have picked one spot (on a table where we now leave a cardboard tray box) to leave most of it, but plenty still makes it onto the floor. The things we do for our 'kids'!

nakoruru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pouncer didn't always cover her feces in the beginning of using her litterbox. So I'd watch her, and before she would jump out, I'd gently hold her with one hand and with the other moved her back legs for her to cover up her business.

A couple of times I repeated that and now she remembers.

nebula11

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mabby, Doofus and Poppy never cover their poop......
But poor Emmet who is OC when it comes to covering poop will be in their for like 10 minutes just trying to cover everyones poo...pooor guy

tainy8lo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Mine looks like she is trying but she scratches the box instead of covering it... sometimes I think she can't see well

tainy8lo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat doesn't cover propertly... the touches/scratches the plastic box but doesnt cover... she keeps on and on but can never cover. Maybe she can't see propertly? :(

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats don't like the texture of the kitty litter and therefore won't dig in it. It seems to be more common in declawed cats, but healthy cats will do it, too.