My Cat Does Not Want To Go Home.

Mariavan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Usually when I let my cat outside for an hour, he hangs around the front and back yard of our house and will come back when I call it. But today, when I called and went looking for him he wasn't around the front or backyard.

I went searching around the neighborhood and saw it 4 houses away. He was with our neighbour's cat. Every time I try to pet or carry him he will hiss and scratch me ( he's never hissed or scratched me before, it is like a complete different cat )

He's been out for over 4 hours now and it's getting dark out. I'm so worried and sad my cat doesnt want to go home. It's never been outside for this long :(

Should I wait for him to eventually come home? Can anyone give advice on what I should do?

Thanks in advance for any help.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m not familiar with how to get cats back in as mine don’t go out but I’m sure others here can help you and will answer soon.

They will want to know if he is neutered or intact. If he’s intact he might’ve been looking to mate or defend his turf with the other cat and you can’t fight those instincts he has.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marmoset is right - it is likely that he is either seeking a mate or else defending territory. If he is neutered, he likely is either trying to have a playmate or else considers the neighbor's cat to be an intruder. For safety's sake, don the protective gear of a cat rescuer, crate him up and bring him home. Try to keep him preoccupied inside with extra attention and lots & lots of play time. He will act frustrated but it is for his own good while you sort this out.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
His reaction to you makes me think that he had a really bad scare of some sort. Try putting his litter box on the porch. He can smell his own scent from quite a ways away, and it might bring him back home. If all else fails, consider calling your local shelter and ask about borrowing/renting a humane trap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mariavan

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for all the replies. To answer some of your questions my cat has already been neutered.

Happy Update: He kept on running away and would hiss and scratch me when I tried to pet him. After a long while, I stopped following him around the neighbourhood and I decided to come back inside and wait for him. It was very dark out. And I felt hopeless and so sad.

I kept an eye out for it out the window though. I waited inside the house for around 30 minutes and continued to call his name. And what do you know, he showed up right out my window! I opened the door and he went straight in. I was so happy and relieved my little baby came home! Maybe he got lonely cause I stopped playing tag with him. :lol:

Suru

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I second the "cats do not like to be chased" part. Even my cat who is very chill and doesn't mind being handled (He can be picked up in anyway, turned up side down etc) will run away if you come up quickly behind him. When I need to pick mine up, I simply walk briskly and casually to catch up to him and pick him up casually. I've found that if I broke into a run he'll think something is chasing him and dart away. I chalk it down to cat instincts.

inkysmom

Inky's legacy - Belly rubs CAN tame feral cats!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad he's back safe! I'd keep him inside only from now on. But that's just me.

I've been doing cat and dog care over the holidays for extra money and been checking in on a lot of cats. Quite a few like to escape out of their apartments, or try to. I've had to get very fast and s early about leaving and being near the doors at all.

Two have gotten out into their hallways. One of them would not come back in for food, toys, treats or anything. I was getting worried.
Reverse psychology worked. I closed the apartment door and within thirty seconds he was meowing and scratching at the door, furious that I'd locked him out of his domain!
With the other escapee, I shook the jar of catnip and tossed some loose catnip on the floor. She raced in happily. Problem solved.