My Cat Does Not Want To Eat

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. My 13 year old cat, Parker, has been having some issues. He lost 4 pounds in about 2 months. Got very lethargic and started hiding. Took him to the vet and they kept him 2 days. Gave him antibiotics and fluids. Says Parkers white blood count was off the charts but nothing else really jumped out in his bloodwork. Temperature is normal. Sent him home with 5 days worth of Baytril. Was ok, although still not eating much, until the Baytril stopped. Then stopped eating again and hiding. Took him back to the vet. They gave him more fluids, a steroid shot and 10 days worth of Baytril. I am on day 4. He is still not eating much at all. Does anyone have a suggestion for food or any kind of nutrition? He can't afford to lose any more weight. He has allergies to poultry and dairy. Thanks for your advice.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Frozen store bought raw, beef and fish wet cat food, kitten food, Gerber stage 2 or other baby food without onion/garlic, kibble (with none of his allergens), whole egg both white and yolk, goat milk maybe?, Pedialyte maybe? Keeping our fingers crossed for you!!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are his teeth ok? Dental issues can be painful. Many vets have no clue how to do a basic oral exam so you may want to seek out a veterinary dentist.

You can also seek out another vet for a second opinion. Be sure to bring copies of your cat's medical records with you. If you can get copies sent ahead to the vet ahead of the appointment that would be even better. The vet an review everythng and get an idea of what to expect and what other testing and such could be done.

whole egg both white and yolk
A whole egg needs to be cooked. Boiled or scrambled with no seasonings / spices is fine. Raw egg yolk is ok. Raw egg white is a no-no because it affects the cat's ability to absorb vitamin B.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
In addition to Furballsmonm's ideas above, have you tried pilchards in sauce (no garlic or onion), or tinned sardines in spring water? Tuna in springwater would usually be a no no but if you have a mature cat not eating then anything goes....
Also, like LTS3 suggests, have the vets had a good look at your cat's teeth and gullet? Could be dental or throat issues. I'm currently going through something similar with Mouse but he's only 7 and with a history of dental issues.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
AT this point, you may have to assist feed Parker. It doesn't really sound like he will eat enough on his own to keep healthy, and when cats don't eat enough they can become VERY ill, to the point where they CANNOT eat. They can get what's called Hepatic Lipidosis, and it can be deadly. Believe me, I know, because I had a cat die from it.

Did your Vet give you an appetite stimulant to give him, to see if that would help? To assist feed, get a high calorie pate food and blend it with some liquid, goats milk would be good because it's added calories, but water is fine, then use a syringe to slowly feed it to him squirting it into his cheek. It's messy, but can be done. You might need to do this several times a day, giving 20 or 30 mls each time. I recently had to do it on another cat who stopped eating entirely for several days. Once he got some food in him though, he started eating again.

You can always google "force feeding cats" on youtube to see how it's done. There are dozens of videos on it.

:vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He will eat cooked salmon, but I am afraid to give him a lot because of the possibility of urinary crystals. I know the vet checked his teeth...i was there when he did the exam. But Parker's normal vet was away and he was checked by a different one. I could try scrambled eggs...he has a dry food that is for sensitive stomachs that has egg. But it also has rice. So I am afraid to give him too much of that as well. He turns his head from side to side a lot when he eats. Could that be a dental problem sign?

BluenIsaacBoys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried puree cat treats? Here is a link to what I'm talking about:

I would highly recommend you try these with your boy Parker. My 18 year old cat, Blue, was recently very ill and did not eat for 3 days. When he was finally getting back into eating, these were one of the first things he was willing to try, and helped him to get his appetite back. They are great because you basically cut them open and let your cat lick out the purree'd treat. They have real food in them such as chicken and tuna, and they are a liquid so they don't have to chew it--not to mention it helps keep them hydrated.

I know ordering online would probably take longer than you'd like, here is another brand (same thing) that Petco sells. Definitely worth a try. I give these to my cats all the time and they go nuts over them.

https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/cat/cat-treats/applaws-chicken-puree-cat-treats

Best of luck :petcat:

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I scrambled an egg for him this morning. He wanted nothing to do with it but he also wanted nothing to do with salmon either. I will go to Petco after work and look for the products mentioned. I am also calling my vet again and asking about his teeth. If I don't get a response I am satisfied with, I will try and find a feline dentist. If he has an infected tooth (or teeth), that could be why his white blood count was/is so high. Thank you for all your advice.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck finding something Parker will eat, even if it is only a little at a time :vibes: , and let us know how things progress. Remember, even gravies and treats have calories, and urinary crystals are not as immediately life threatening for Parker as not eating so go for what ever he'll show interest in. :hugs:

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took Parker back to the vet this afternoon and they are keeping him again. They will give him more fluids and do extensive bloodwork and an xray.

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Parker's bloodwork came back. All his blood counts have come back down. She did an xray. His intestines are swollen. I don't think she did a fecal yet to see if it's parasites. I will find that out tomorrow. If the fecal comes back good, it is probably IBD. He is too weak to do an exploratory. More steroids and he will stay at least 24 hours to monitor.

BluenIsaacBoys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So glad to hear that Parker's bloodwork seems to be coming back to normal! Will be thinking about you and him, and hope he's eating his favorite foods again soon!

tvet

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, I want to thank everyone for their advice and good wishes. Unfortunately, Parker crossed the rainbow bridge yesterday. I know he and all my other pets that have gone before me are sitting in my mom's lap, waiting til they see me again. Thanks again everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.